Sponsored

If you are wondering how important an O2 sensor is???

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
is this your buddies rig you were helping, looks good
Yes, that is my buds rig. It is one of five JLUR that I have helped put together in 2019. We are still waiting on the JCR front and rear bumpers and rock sliders to come in. That JLUR has less than a 1,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
cool havent gotten my stuff yet either, just a winch in a box so far. gotta pay off christmas purchases then off to the build

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
True story. It was like wheeling on bacon grease. If you did not make it up an incline, you slid uncontrollably back to the bottom.
Sounds like a great time, unless you tip over.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So on my way from Michigan to Kentucky for a weekend of wheeling. About 30 miles from my house, the JLUR will not shift out of 5th gear, is bogging down and getting 8 miles to the gallon and check engine lights were on and flashing. I call the dealer and turn around. Drop the JLUR off at the dealer. It was misfiring on all odd cylinders.

Just picked it up and all is well. It was just a O2 sensor.

KAI8HJif7ienFU3wGjMxVpMOEKoywxyVcwiuZ-xjrYdrEIdy4b5X-klZWAIPCZZEn0Md6L_KC-XNw5D6-U=w1010-h757-no.jpg
A flashing check engine light means that conditions are right for catalytic converter damage. At this point you shouldn't drive it and call Captain Hook.

Sponsored

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Interesting that it caused all of that to happen, i have a bad O2 sensor on my Cobalt (back n forth to work ) and it hasnt affected how it runs lol.
Makers Mark is awesome. i liked being able to dip my own bottle. :)

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Interesting that it caused all of that to happen, i have a bad O2 sensor on my Cobalt (back n forth to work ) and it hasnt affected how it runs lol.
Makers Mark is awesome. i liked being able to dip my own bottle. :)
I bought these two bottles.
kIf0d7ycb2ihtRJoXkoctloQfTnIQJJmVKiQkxIk1_ik2qNge-Gj43WHjYndidBDnkfR8jvYDOV39gBMjEA=w568-h757-no.jpg

With the hopes to enjoy them the next time my sons return from overseas.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I bought these two bottles.
kIf0d7ycb2ihtRJoXkoctloQfTnIQJJmVKiQkxIk1_ik2qNge-Gj43WHjYndidBDnkfR8jvYDOV39gBMjEA=w568-h757-no.jpg

With the hopes to enjoy them the next time my sons return from overseas.
We are going there today, can’t wait. Since we moved to Lex we are trying to get to them all. We’ve done ok so far.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We are going there today, can’t wait. Since we moved to Lex we are trying to get to them all. We’ve done ok so far.
I think the amazing thing is when you go to a distillery and you realize how small of an operation it is. Then realize that their product is sold all over the whole world.

Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
Very Nice choice, Makers is my Fav however I have not ever seen those bottles, now I am jealous

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I’ve had two O2 sensors go out on an expedition and it didn’t run abnormally and there was no noticeable drop in fuel economy. On one side it was upstream and the other side downstream. I’ve heard a lot about Jeep’s having odd symptoms for simple items, almost like a lump mode. Granted the JL and JT are very new models and I’ve never experienced an O2 sensor go out on anything past 06 but it is scary that JLs hurt so much from an O2 sensor or pulled wire.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
At the risk of over-simplifying. When the Jeep is warmed up and not under heavy throttle conditions, it is running in a mode called closed-loop. It is pulsing the injectors and immediately confirming via the O2 sensors that it is keeping A/Fs right at 14.7:1. (An O2 sensor can only tell you if you are above or below 14.7:1 - so the engine management "walks the fence" looking for readings several times a second that are above/below this 14.7:1 line.) Under heavier throttle/load, it is no longer a good idea (for engine longevity) to run at 14.7:1. Something richer is needed - maybe ~13.0:1. Well, since the O2 sensors are only capable of showing above or below 14.7:1, closed-loop mode is no longer desirable, and the Jeep will go into Open-loop mode. In Open-loop mode, the engine runs off of pre-programmed internal tables. These are tables that are programmed at the factory through exhaustive testing. That's the short course on engine management... now lets look at what happened.

Engines will spend most of their life in closed-loop mode. The Jeep is happily injecting fuel and then checking the O2's to see if he got it right and is making minute adjustments several times per second. All is happy. But... if a condition arises where the ECU cannot achieve 14.7:1, it will immediately throw a CEL. Help!!! Something is amiss! A flashing CEL indicates that the Jeep has said, "screw it, I can no longer control the engine in closed-loop" and it reverts to what is called "limp mode". Similar to the open-loop tables, the Jeep is following pre-programmed internal tables to do the fuel injection and it is trying to be on the safe side - which is rich. This mode is intended to help you to "limp" the Jeep to a safe location to be towed - or to drive a short distance to a dealership for repair.

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
A very similar thing happened to me on Saturday.

I've been noticing my mileage getting worse lately and thought it was because of the colder weather. On Saturday I was driving on an expressway and noticed that it wasn't shifting out of 7th and the efficiency gauge was completely off the scale (20 l/100km+). Then the Start/Stop warning light came on, then the check engine light, then the check engine light started beeping and flashing. It slowly started losing all power until I had to pull off the road. It would still idle, but not much else. Stranded on the road for the first time in my 38 years of driving (I know, I've been lucky).

Towed it back to the dealership and after a few hours, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking oil onto the o2 sensor and I'd need a new sensor. There's a Star Case, apparently. I was then told it would take them a few days to get the part, but that it would be OK to drive home. I argued a bit, but reluctantly decided to try to get home (and back) with it. About 10 minutes after leaving the dealership the whole fun process started again and I barely limped it home.

Drove it in this morning and the check engine light was still on but it seemed to run OK. The ESS light didn't come back on. Anyone else hear of issues with a leaky valve cover gasket?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A very similar thing happened to me on Saturday.

I've been noticing my mileage getting worse lately and thought it was because of the colder weather. On Saturday I was driving on an expressway and noticed that it wasn't shifting out of 7th and the efficiency gauge was completely off the scale (20 l/100km+). Then the Start/Stop warning light came on, then the check engine light, then the check engine light started beeping and flashing. It slowly started losing all power until I had to pull off the road. It would still idle, but not much else. Stranded on the road for the first time in my 38 years of driving (I know, I've been lucky).

Towed it back to the dealership and after a few hours, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking oil onto the o2 sensor and I'd need a new sensor. There's a Star Case, apparently. I was then told it would take them a few days to get the part, but that it would be OK to drive home. I argued a bit, but reluctantly decided to try to get home (and back) with it. About 10 minutes after leaving the dealership the whole fun process started again and I barely limped it home.

Drove it in this morning and the check engine light was still on but it seemed to run OK. The ESS light didn't come back on. Anyone else hear of issues with a leaky valve cover gasket?
Yes, I had this issue. Leaky valve cover gasket, oil got onto O2 sensor, caused multiple misfires, took it to dealer, replaced a bunch of stuff.... fixed.
Sponsored