Sponsored

If they killed off the 2 door WWYD?

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
My son and I took the 2 door grocery getting yesterday, his first time driving it (he had fun), and we both stood there laughing hysterically as we shoved bag after bag of groceries behind the back seat. Funny how much you can get in there if you pack it tight. :CWL:

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
How much technology and engineering goes into the 2dr that isn't also applicable to the 4dr? The R&D can't be that much more to keep producing both kinds. Even if sales tank, it's still a mascot of sorts for the Jeep brand. The marketing value is probably worth any trouble it causes the bean counters.

It is tiny though. Ironically I can haul more in my 2dr than I ever could in my 4dr sedan because I can take off the top. If you run out of room side to side you just start stacking things vertically. I've had some fun rides home from the Home Depot.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I made the jump from a 2dr JK, to a JLU. As good as the JL is, I hate it at times. I even thought I could convince myself that it was better by going all in on a highly spec'd Rubicon. But I still miss my sport JK, and the X TJ, and the Sahara TJ before that. For me the only positive point of the 4 dr, and the deciding factor for me, is that my two very tall boys want to go wheeling with me and their Mom. With my 2dr JK all they ever did was complain about how uncomfortable it was in the back seat. Pic of the outgoing and current Jeep.

20180803_113623.jpg

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I personally cannot see myself owning a vehicle with - what would be to me, anyway - worthless back seats (worthless because of discomfort/lack of leg room). However, with comfortable and roomy back seats, I think it’s only reasonable to provide convenient access to those seats via a back door. This opinion is in addition to my aforementioned personal reasons why a JLU is more practical for my wife and I. As far as off-road capability, both the JL and JLU are considered to be “long wheelbase” vehicles, with advantages and disadvantages inherent with that descriptor.

Please keep in mind that I do recognize that my opinion is NOT the last word on this topic. I greatly respect others opinions on this. My remarks are not intended to be inflammatory. Peace.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
2 doors Wrangler sell better than almost any other vehicle model that has both a 4 door and 2 door, so not exactly sure why FCA would consider killing off an icon that sells, 4 door was introduced to sell more Wranglers, there has been some cannibalization of the 2 door sales, but the 2 door still holds it's own.

Had 3 2 doors in the past, last was a 2007 JK, not going back to a 2 unless it's a 2nd vehicle, I live in the city core where parking is a premium and parking cost more than Wrangler payments.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have the JL two door now. Have had a two door JK and TJ in the past. Those were and is my personal fun/workhorse vehicles(JK and TJ had snow plows.) I have a Sienna van for hauling stuff and people. I have owned 52 vehicles since I began driving. Always seem to have a van of one kind or another in the mix. If four door Wranglers were to be the only option, I would choose some other four door SUV or pickup to go with my van du jour. I don't do rock crawling so no need for a Wrangler if I can't have the two door. JLUs are just like any other four door SUV for the road only less comfortable and less safe. Get a 4 Runner at that point for example.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Having had both, I would never get a 2 door again
I'm curious, could you please explain? My 4 door fits my needs, but I ask because my wife is interested in a 2 door rubicon. I've only ever been a passenger in the last few generations of wranglers and she drove her brothers yj a couple times but that's a different animal and was well over a decade ago. I've yet to see a single 2 door on any local dealer lots to take a test drive, and am interested in the driving and handling differences compared to the 4 door. Thanks!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I'm curious, could you please explain? My 4 door fits my needs, but I ask because my wife is interested in a 2 door rubicon. I've only ever been a passenger in the last few generations of wranglers and she drove her brothers yj a couple times but that's a different animal and was well over a decade ago. I've yet to see a single 2 door on any local dealer lots to take a test drive, and am interested in the driving and handling differences compared to the 4 door. Thanks!
You must live somewhere quite strange; every Jeep dealer I've ever seen has a mix between 2 and 4 door Jeeps.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You must live somewhere quite strange; every Jeep dealer I've ever seen has a mix between 2 and 4 door Jeeps.
Very strange indeed!

You live in one of the biggest playgrounds for Jeeps, whereas I am stuck behind enemy lines. Here, we get tickets with court dates for parking on the grass and if caught off roading the vehicle gets impounded, you walk home from the spot, massive fines, and and extra fun court date.

I ordered and bought through a dealer further upstate, and taking delivery day was the one and only time I saw a 2 door JL in person. It was delivered on the same truck as mine.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No brainer here.. I would quickly go buy a 2dr 6-Speed and preserve it for many years meticulously. Then I would give it to my two sons who could either sell it and split the millions or keep it. It would go for millions because it would be the last 2dr and last manual transmission on the planet at that time.

e-pill

First Name
edd-e
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-DOOR JLR 2.0L TURBO STING-GRAY
Occupation
INDESTRUCTIBLE ROBOTIC HYPER FISSION ENGINEER
"If they killed off the 2 door WWYD?"

- I'd buy a super launcher bazooooookah and aim at every 4-door I'd look upon"

yep... that's what I'd do. :P

Last edited:

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
See what ever is out there in a two door config. Ford Bronco sounds like doors and top may come off other wise there is the new Defender I was going to buy but just go tired of waiting and the JL just exceeded my JK so much I can't justify both I'm so happy with it.

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I must be getting really old. I grew up in a family of 5 and we never had a 4 door vehicle. We went on countless vacations in a 2 door Chevy Vega and nobody ever complained. Just like my father, I have never owned a 4 door vehicle and never will if I can help it. There's not a 4 door vehicle on the planet that I find attractive.

That being said, if Jeep drops the 2 door, I would either try to keep my JL forever or I would buy some other 2 door.
Sponsored