Sponsored

If they killed off the 2 door WWYD?

95Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've always preferred the look of the 2-door . . . from the classic MB to the TJ. But ever since the introduction of the JK, and now the slightly bigger JL, the 4-door actually (cough) looks better proportioned than the 2-door. However, when the doors are off, for me . . . the 4-door just doesn't look "right."
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Great points, sir!!

For my wife and I, my JLU is more practical than a JL, for a number of reasons. We have a small farm in our jungle. We live far out of town. A typical run into town involves buying two to three bales of hay, 250 pounds of feed, a grocery store run to Publix, and the inevitable stop at Lowe’s - as a minimum. Living in Florida, using an exposed pickup bed can be problematic. Also, we have large dogs. Although we do have a feed shed and a hay shed, it is quite convenient to leave the feed and hay in the vehicle when it is raining, or if it’s very late in the day.

It’s interesting and funny (in a good way) that you also mentioned a minivan being more practical. Our other vehicle is a minivan (2019 Nissan NV200), and we use it in exactly the same way as described above! You see, I didn’t need a Jeep; I wanted one. ;)

Both vehicles are also bug-out vehicles, to escape Armageddon, zombies, etc. With all of our fur and feather babies, both vehicles would be fully utilized.

Needs/wants are based on specificity. I think it is a mistake to judge either vehicle based upon generalizations.

Peace.
I needed a Jeep to make me smile:like:

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 6.37.03 PM.png
I almost specified the exception of SUVs but I completely forgot about the FF. But I hope you got my point that the image of Ferrari is mid engine sports cars and that is most of what they make but it didn’t use to be the case.
BIG BIG BIG Ferrari Fanboy here but couldn't give me that FF PO$ #abomination #soccermom #2doors4eva :bandit:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had my YJ very long but I love driving it and the 2-door is great offroad. Unfortunately, for me a 2-door isn't practical for my main driver. I have the AX-15 in my YJ. What type of problems did you have it?
Oh, it was just horribly abused by the previous owner. First gear was broken, would pop out of gear any time I attempted to use it. I had to have it rebuilt. That was actually the only repair on my YJ that someone other than me did because that jeep was so easy to work on even an amateur mechanic like me couldn’t screw it up! But once I got it rebuilt it turned out to be a solid transmission. I don’t think you’ll have any issues, just be sure to put either full synthetic 10w30 engine oil or Redline MT-90/Redline MTL in it.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
This. The whole discussion is moot. The benefit of the 2 door Wrangler to FCA is greater than mere sales. The 2 door is what created and maintains the image of "Jeep." That image is what moves them off of lots, and the reason the 4 door exists--to sell the image, even to those who can't make use of a 2 door (like me, at least today). The sales on the 4 door, in turn, are what enable the Wrangler to move enough volume to stay in production.

It's symbiosis, pure and simple. FCA really needs both in order to keep churning in profits.
I have no idea what percentage of Wrangler sales the 2 door comprises, but you can rest assured if the time comes when the 2 door actually is a money loser for FCA , they will stop producing it. Its just business.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'd be sad. I loved my TJ's because they were small, and could go places nothing else could. Granted, my use case has changed which is why I ended up with a JLU. I likely wouldn't be buying another Jeep any time soon as my JLU is brand new, but if I suddenly wanted a trail only 2 door rig? I'd do exactly what several other people already said: Find a CJ/YJ or a base TJ/JK/JL- gut it, drop in a v8 drive train (if it didn't have the 4.0L I6), 1 ton axles, long arm kit, stretch the wheel base, and put 40's on it with a full cage. Possibly turn it into an Ultra4 car. Then go do really stupid things- like climbing boulders and ledges.

Yes- I've thought about this before. I do a lot of bench building in my spare time.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I currently have a 2 door JL, so if they killed off the 2 door, I would be fine for awhile. For me, the 2 door is a fun/toy vehicle. And I compared it to over, fun/toy vehicles, which weren't necessarily SUVs (VW Golf R was main competitor for me).

But as far as Jeep goes, I would probably be more likely to buy a JT over a JLU. But I don't know if the price of a JT optioned the way I would want it (about $60k sticker, plus possibly aftermarket), would beat other fun/toy vehicles.

In some ways, I feel like aftermarket has already somewhat killed the 2 door. I know 2 door was slower to market, and sells much less, and that is the cause.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have no idea what percentage of Wrangler sales the 2 door comprises, but you can rest assured if the time comes when the 2 door actually is a money loser for FCA , they will stop producing it. Its just business.
Haven’t seen any JL numbers yet, but I’d bet they are similar.

The last few years of JK saw 2-doors only accounting for about 19-20% of production.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Absolutely correct. But my point is that FCA isn't dumb enough to see the 2 door Wrangler in isolation, since it impacts other sales. If the 2 door loses money on its own, but helps drive sales of the 4 door, then that may make continuing the 2 door a net profit GAIN to the overall Jeep brand. And we all know the 2 door does just that. It also drives sales of Cherokees, GCs, and the panoply of other Jeep branded vehicles.

The 2 door Jeep isn't a halo car per se, but it definitely adds value to the Jeep brand which exceeds the actual profitability of the model. This doesn't mean it's "safe forever," but it does mean that it needs to be VERY unprofitable to actually be a money loser to Jeep as a whole. And given FCA's heavy dependence on Jeep to maintain any profitability, it's pretty obvious that FCA won't risk tarnishing Jeep by dropping the most recognizable, desirable, and dare I say cool model.*

Also note that the final decision is with Mike Manley. Who led the design of the damn JL. He definitely understands the value the 2 door brings to the brand, beyond mere model profitability.

*Note: I drive and love a 4 door. But I know when I'm beat: the 2 door is cooler than the 4. It's a fact.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Oh, it was just horribly abused by the previous owner. First gear was broken, would pop out of gear any time I attempted to use it. I had to have it rebuilt. That was actually the only repair on my YJ that someone other than me did because that jeep was so easy to work on even an amateur mechanic like me couldn’t screw it up! But once I got it rebuilt it turned out to be a solid transmission. I don’t think you’ll have any issues, just be sure to put either full synthetic 10w30 engine oil or Redline MT-90/Redline MTL in it.
Good deal and thanks for the tip!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely correct. But my point is that FCA isn't dumb enough to see the 2 door Wrangler in isolation, since it impacts other sales. If the 2 door loses money on its own, but helps drive sales of the 4 door, then that may make continuing the 2 door a net profit GAIN to the overall Jeep brand. And we all know the 2 door does just that. It also drives sales of Cherokees, GCs, and the panoply of other Jeep branded vehicles.

The 2 door Jeep isn't a halo car per se, but it definitely adds value to the Jeep brand which exceeds the actual profitability of the model. This doesn't mean it's "safe forever," but it does mean that it needs to be VERY unprofitable to actually be a money loser to Jeep as a whole. And given FCA's heavy dependence on Jeep to maintain any profitability, it's pretty obvious that FCA won't risk tarnishing Jeep by dropping the most recognizable, desirable, and dare I say cool model.*

Also note that the final decision is with Mike Manley. Who led the design of the damn JL. He definitely understands the value the 2 door brings to the brand, beyond mere model profitability.

*Note: I drive and love a 4 door. But I know when I'm beat: the 2 door is cooler than the 4. It's a fact.
I am not so sure that its the 2 door that drives sales at this point in the Wranglers history. I became attracted to the Wrangler when it came out in its 4 door iteration. The 4 door now out sells the 2 . Its a "fact " that the 2 door is cooler than the 4 ? Thats just your opinion. Hey, peace !
my non use of punctuation is deliberate . I am lazy

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, then why does the 2 door get the sweetest commercials?:rock:

I really like the first one ! Hey maybe they use the 2 door in an attempt to stimulate 2 door sales. Whatever,it just a great ad! Problem is , you spook all the trout by doing that !;)

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm planning on keeping my 2 dr jl for a long time. then i'll see what comes out then. i would love to see the j6 go into production.i dont mine the 4 door version of the wrangler. when the tj unlimited came out, i was looking at getting one. i dont think that jeep will discontinue the 2 door wrangler due to the long history it has.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Its a "fact " that the 2 door is cooler than the 4 ? Thats just your opinion.
It's the internet, man, don't fight it.

Lol anyway yea of course that's just an opinion, but people need to find something to fight over/identify with. Let the 2-door peeps strut their stuff and just nod your head (while you do 100% of the same exact stuff their rigs can do... if they even take it offroad in the first place)

I'll keep offroading while my daughter's hot pink rear-facing car seat sits proudly in my full second row lol (always love seeing the looks from people especially when the top is down)
Sponsored