If they killed off the 2 door WWYD?

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
We are two door soft top folks because we are old school. We got a WK Trailhawk for when we want to do the 4 door family car thing. Been working out quite well so far...

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm certain that if the 2-door model was discontinued, that the aftermarket companies would eventually be offer a shortening conversion.

What I see happening more is that the 2-door will not be discontinued, and it will be priced higher than the 4-door.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It's amazing to me how angry some of the 2-door people are. I mean, JFC, why do you care what other people want to drive? I personally have both, a 2-door YJ and a 4-door JL, and I love them both for different reasons. I certainly wouldn't abandon Jeep if they stopped producing 2-door Jeeps. CJs and YJs are easy to keep running MANY years after they were stopped being produced. No reason to think JKs and JLs are going to be any different.I doubt the 2-door market is just going to disappear entirely.
The Dems want to bad all 2 door vehicles by 2030 as part of the green new deal.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I think they'd be better off working off the JLU wheelbase and wheel position in the chassis....then bob the back of the bed so there's no more overhang than on the 4 doors.
The wheelbase is supposed to be identical to the Unlimited I believe, but I do agree with repositioning to improve departure angle. That being said, I would gladly take it as it is in that concept form.

From all the videos and articles I've seen, it sure seems like that thing is production-ready and hopefully going into production in the near future.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
It's amazing to me how angry some of the 2-door people are. I mean, JFC, why do you care what other people want to drive? I personally have both, a 2-door YJ and a 4-door JL, and I love them both for different reasons. I certainly wouldn't abandon Jeep if they stopped producing 2-door Jeeps. CJs and YJs are easy to keep running MANY years after they were stopped being produced. No reason to think JKs and JLs are going to be any different. I doubt the 2-door market is just going to disappear entirely.
Because it’s more than just a vehicle to them, just like when mustang fans were appalled by the talk of a 4 door mustang in the style of the stinger. It’s a little upsetting to think that 80 something percent of wranglers are four door, the after market kind reflect it and it does hinder the 2 door which feels like a betrayal by some.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Don't think anybody is questioning what others want to drive, but telling their own preferences in a hypothetical situation. Nobody is angry.
I dunno, @IronScott sounds pretty angry. :bandit:

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
My 2dr Sport is also a 2-seater. I had to pull out that back seat because no one will ever ride back there except for the dogs. Now if Jeep releases a 2dr Gladiator then I'll be all over that especially if they put a retro looking grill on it.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
2 Door jeeps account for less than 20% of all Jeeps sold, it wouldn't be a big deal if they killed it off. Would probably be a smart thing to do. They are pretty useless overall with such little interior space, makes more sense to streamline production and sell a more fully capable model like a 4Door or a JT.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
2 Door jeeps account for less than 20% of all Jeeps sold, it wouldn't be a big deal if they killed it off. Would probably be a smart thing to do. They are pretty useless overall with such little interior space, makes more sense to streamline production and sell a more fully capable model like a 4Door or a JT.
Pretty useless overall is a pretty d-bag thing to say seeing how they've been around since WWII. Maybe useless for those that need to have that extra room, but more than useful enough for those that don't. And FWIW the extra doors, weight, and size are useless to me (but that's just my situation) :)

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'll be surprised if they ever kill it, as long as they're profiting off it. Even if they didn't, they might still make it for a while. I doubt they ever turned a profit on Vipers, after all.

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Wranglers were never this super practical vehicle, but the 2 door without a back seat has a decent amount of room. It sacrifices a little bit of room for increased off-road performance. Not to talk shit about the JT but the breakover angle is worse than anything against which it competes and the link separation isn’t set up for going above 35s. Explain what you mean by more fully capable.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I'll be surprised if they ever kill it, as long as they're profiting off it. Even if they didn't, they might still make it for a while. I doubt they ever turned a profit on Vipers, after all.
This. The whole discussion is moot. The benefit of the 2 door Wrangler to FCA is greater than mere sales. The 2 door is what created and maintains the image of "Jeep." That image is what moves them off of lots, and the reason the 4 door exists--to sell the image, even to those who can't make use of a 2 door (like me, at least today). The sales on the 4 door, in turn, are what enable the Wrangler to move enough volume to stay in production.

It's symbiosis, pure and simple. FCA really needs both in order to keep churning in profits.

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
This. The whole discussion is moot. The benefit of the 2 door Wrangler to FCA is greater than mere sales. The 2 door is what created and maintains the image of "Jeep." That image is what moves them off of lots, and the reason the 4 door exists--to sell the image, even to those who can't make use of a 2 door (like me, at least today). The sales on the 4 door, in turn, are what enable the Wrangler to move enough volume to stay in production.

It's symbiosis, pure and simple. FCA really needs both in order to keep churning in profits.
I really hope you’re right but I’m not so sure, plenty of vehicles defy their origins and become a success and start a whole new path. Look at the Dino, there hasn’t been anything but mid engine Ferraris in my lifetime even though they were originally a muscle car of sorts. I’m not sure if the 2 door really creates buzz like other flagship vehicles when I see the 4 door promoted more than the 2 door. There’s always a chance Jeep/Chrysler will have new owners sometime soon.
Sponsored