Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
But it will be the cost of 2 or 3 Rubicons.

I’ll take 2 Rubicons, thanks, one to sit in a shop, and another to drive while the other sits in the shop.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They’re aiming at a different market segment (obviously) but it’s a pretty good looking vehicle. If you watch the show called Long Way Up with Ewan McGregor he and a friend road trip from Patagonia back to the US (mostly) on prototype electric Harley’s and they have these Rivian SUVs as support vehicles. The ones the crew were driving were prototypes and had a ton of preproduction issues and bugs. But they seem like they’ll be great once they work the bugs out. Short range and lack of charging facilities might be a killer though. They didn’t really flex any off-road muscle so I can’t say if they perform well like a Wrangler. But I doubt they’re meant to be that capable. Might poach a few Range Rover sales though.

In before fanboys trash it and shout you down for comparing it to our beloved Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. :LOL:

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
I see it has Vegan Leather. Is it made from real vegans? Possibly organic too?

All in all these are fun and should diversify the auto segment. These companies are leading the way for future gens (all auto makers) to go on. The main thing I see with the current state if you in the middle of the boonies or road trip say Baja California, where are the charging stations at? I can always carry addition fuel or get the shitty fuel at the next no-signal town, but these vehicles do not have that luxury.

If you put solar panels on the roof, can you charge the batteries while cruising down the road?

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The best option I see for a BEV Wrangler is a motor on each axel. Four motors is a lot of unsprung weight at each corner. No need for drive shafts, transmission or a transfer case. Four wheel drive could be run as an AWD system for day to day, and then locked into ”4hi” and “4lo”.

The driffrence between the two modes would be a throttle remapping. With full torque from zero RPM you really don’t need the torque multiplier effect of the (eliminated) transfer case.

Eliminating the drive shafts, T-case and transmission will save a lot of weight and complexity, some of the weight savings will, of course, be eaten by the battery pack. Ease of maintenance will drastically increase, and Wranglers are already some of the easiest to service vehicles remaining.

There are hurtles to a BEV Wrangler, but even range isn’t as large a factor as people assume. Most people wheel well within the range of the current and coming generations of BEVs.

I look forward to see what Stellantis offers for a Wrangler, or Wrangler-like BEV, and given battery technology advancements (about 5% additional capacity/year) we should see a BEV Jeep, even as unaerodynamic as a Wrangler, see 300 miles come production. Assuming production is in this decade.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The best option I see for a BEV Wrangler is a motor on each axel. Four motors is a lot of unsprung weight at each corner. No need for drive shafts, transmission or a transfer case. Four wheel drive could be run as an AWD system for day to day, and then locked into ”4hi” and “4lo”.
With a motor at each wheel you could actually program "4WD lock" mode to adjust the speed of each wheel individually factoring in the steering angle. There would be no bind, but still all the benefits traction at every wheel.

Then again, something like this is pretty cool:
dana-eaxle.jpg

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

With a motor at each wheel you could actually program "4WD lock" mode to adjust the speed of each wheel individually factoring in the steering angle. There would be no bind, but still all the benefits traction at every wheel.

Then again, something like this is pretty cool:
Jeep Wrangler JL If they follow Ravian lead with independent motors at each wheel dana-eaxle
The problem with a motor at each wheel is the amount of unsprung weight added to the vehicle. This image is more what I imagine a BEV Wrangler should have as a setup, or one where the motor is 90 degrees to the axel. That lets you place the motor out of the path of the most damage potential.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think FCA will design a very specific electric platform for Wrangler, the things you mentioned (individual motor) is good for 4x4 off-roading, but not good for other reasons (manufacturing and maintenance cost).

It is more realistically FCA will adopt one of the Stellantis EV platform to Wrangler, just like how Pacifica and 4xe are sharing a similar setup. I think a front and a rear motor probably will be standard, since no one is going to buy an RWD only Wrangler.

If they can implement rear wheel steering aka tank turn, like Hummer, Rivian, and Cybertruck, that will be plenty cool.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I don't think FCA will design a very specific electric platform for Wrangler, the things you mentioned (individual motor) is good for 4x4 off-roading, but not good for other reasons (manufacturing and maintenance cost).

It is more realistically FCA will adopt one of the Stellantis EV platform to Wrangler, just like how Pacifica and 4xe are sharing a similar setup. I think a front and a rear motor probably will be standard, since no one is going to buy an RWD only Wrangler.

If they can implement rear wheel steering aka tank turn, like Hummer, Rivian, and Cybertruck, that will be plenty cool.
I suspect the Wrangler BEV, or any Wrangler level BEV will be built on the STLA FRAME platform. Might see a Cherokee BEV on the STLA LARGE platform.
Sponsored