Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What product is it, where did you get it, how much you paid, how long to install?
Artec Industries aluminum skid, $1,977 shipped to my door and about 6-7 hours to install

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The skid plates look very nice. Great job.

I saw a video with a Jeep engineer and he was asked about additional skid plates. He defended the production JL by saying:

1.) Additional skid plates are not necessary as the production Jeep has all of the critical parts protected with the factory skid plates.

2.) Addition skid plates add extra mass and affect fuel economy and GVWR.

3.) Addition skid plates affect the heat dissipation of the engine, transmission, transfer case, exhaust, ect.

I wheel, but I don't do anything crazy. I decided not to add any additional skid plates and see what happens. If something gets damaged, I will then do whatever I need to do to prevent reoccurance. So far, so good, with just the production skids.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

I saw a video with a Jeep engineer and he was asked about additional skid plates. He defended the production JL by saying:

1.) Additional skid plates are not necessary as the production Jeep has all of the critical parts protected with the factory skid plates.

3.) Addition skid plates affect the heat dissipation of the engine, transmission, transfer case, exhaust, ect.

I wheel, but I don't do anything crazy. I decided not to add any additional skid plates and see what happens. If something gets damaged, I will then do whatever I need to do to prevent reoccurance. So far, so good, with just the production skids.
He’s saying what you’d expect to defend his work and company, but he’s wrong.

I also have the Artec aluminum skids.
1) not really. The Artec skids cover the same areas and a lot more areas that also need protection if you crawl around on the rocks. They protect those critical areas better plus add protection to additional critical areas.
2) they are made of 1/4” aluminum and are several pounds lighter than the OEM stamped steel skids they replace.
3) my temperatures have not increased at all. They allow plenty of air flow.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I too have the Artec aluminum and the weight added is negligeable. What you will find out if you wheel a lot, specially in a 4-door, is that you will start to bend and rip the factory skids. Then, when you go to install an aftermarket skid, the job is that much harder with all the bent crossmembers, brackets and bolts.

Remember, Jeep built a product to a cost point and a capability point. The vast majority of Jeep buyers don't go off road, the ones who do, mostly do sand/beaches/open desert/mild trails. A tiny minority do stuff on the rocks where protection is need. Sadly for me in New England, all trails are rock heavy - not a choice to go without skids.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Wait, did you say 15 pounds??? My JK has steel skids (and they have saved me a few times) but they must add 150 pounds to my Jeep. Please tell me these provide some real protection and are actually that light. If so I'm in for my new 392!

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Wait, did you say 15 pounds??? My JK has steel skids (and they have saved me a few times) but they must add 150 pounds to my Jeep. Please tell me these provide some real protection and are actually that light. If so I'm in for my new 392!
Artec claims the gas tank, tranny and oil pan skids only weigh 10 lbs more than the stock steel skids (which are removed) then another 5 lbs for the etorque battery (stock etorque skid is retained)

Sponsored

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr

Do you have the Etorque motor, it kind of looks like you do with that driver side rear skid plate.

Does that manufacture have a bracket to hold up the cables on the front of the 48 volt battery?

I have Metal Cloak skid plates and they look near identical to yours, BUT metal cloak does not have a bracket holding up the cables on the front of the 498 volt battery.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Do you have the Etorque motor, it kind of looks like you do with that driver side rear skid plate.

Does that manufacture have a bracket to hold up the cables on the front of the 48 volt battery?

I have Metal Cloak skid plates and they look near identical to yours, BUT metal cloak does not have a bracket holding up the cables on the front of the 498 volt battery.
I never removed the factory cable bracket and thought since the cables are so high I don’t expect any issues