If there’s a sexier JL belly out there I haven't seen it

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Which one works without a lift? The Artec specifically says it needs 1.5". And Asfir's bracket is in the same spot, I figured they were all like this. When I was looking, I couldn't find anyone that installed skids on a non lifted Jeep, seems like this is a mod usually done down the road.
The Rock Hard 4X4 belly pan system works with no lift. I have it in aluminum and it protects EVERYTHING. It’s a bit of a pain to install, but I got it for about $1600 complete.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Next Venture also doesn't require a lift. I have it installed on my non-lifted Rubicon. Works great. I have the complete write up here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-jlu-aluminum-belly-skids.71388/post-1669349
They recently-ish added the following text to their page for their skids (I’ve been thinking about their skid for a while) to note a lift requirement for the 3.6:
Is a lift required for clearance to suspension components?
A 1.5" lift (or just 1.5" bump stop extensions on the front) is recommended for clearance to the motor mounting brackets on 3.6 V6 models. No lift or bump stop extension is required for the 2.0 I4 engine.

Sponsored

onepluto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Y
I emailed Artec and the replied 1st Q 2022 for the 392 aluminum skids.
Good luck, on the 3.0 Diesel wait list and was told in 2020, end of year, then early 2021, monthly push to Oct and they say end of year. If the 392 makes it before the 3.0 then it's clear they are not making the diesel, which will suck. Good on your front, bad on mine.

onepluto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Y
still waiting for Artec to get a diesel version out. I actually like metalcloaks, but pretty dam heavy
Same, the Artec one is my number one but at the same time I can't wait forever.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The skid plates look very nice. Great job.

I saw a video with a Jeep engineer and he was asked about additional skid plates. He defended the production JL by saying:

1.) Additional skid plates are not necessary as the production Jeep has all of the critical parts protected with the factory skid plates.

2.) Addition skid plates add extra mass and affect fuel economy and GVWR.

3.) Addition skid plates affect the heat dissipation of the engine, transmission, transfer case, exhaust, ect.

I wheel, but I don't do anything crazy. I decided not to add any additional skid plates and see what happens. If something gets damaged, I will then do whatever I need to do to prevent reoccurance. So far, so good, with just the production skids.
This honestly applies to many, many “upgrades.” Many parts provide more downsides than upsides, but this doesn’t really matter. Adding parts onto Jeeps is more of an emotional endeavor rather than a purely calculated and logical one. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, as we are all human after all, and we all have severely differing thoughts regarding the looks and performance of our Jeeps. This is one reason why Jeeps make such perfect customizable toys.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why don't they come this way from the factory?
Because this is an upgrade to way less than 1% of jeep owners but it would be a downgrade for the rest of the >99% of owners because:

They will never do any extreme rock crawling, therefore,

The additional hundreds of pounds of weight not only takes away from the already small payload of the wrangler but it will cause a calculable drop in fuel economy for all wranglers,

The wrangler is designed with the ability to radiate a certain amount of heat through the undercarriage. Disallowing this heat dissipation with physical barriers forces the mechanical components to try to cool down in other ways, such as using the coolant more than it was designed to do. Components that do not cool with coolant will just operate at higher temperatures since they will not be able to radiate heat as efficiently.

Even if this isn’t really an issue in the real world, jeep engineers would need to redesign the cooling system (since it wouldn't be within design parameters), and redesign other components to allow them to radiate heat in other ways.

So it is not only an unnecessary addition for >99% of jeep owners, but also for jeep itself, because they would probably need to redesign many components, reconfigure sections of their factory, maybe even acquire different parts from other suppliers, and publisize lower MPG numbers.

I imagine automotive engineers would be able to provide more reasons why jeep doesn’t do this to every single wrangler.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I'm happy with the Metalcloak skidplates on my JLUR. The worst part of the install was removing already damaged stock skidplate bolts that had the head ground down from dragging on rocks. And I haven't even done any challenging trails yet. Other than that it was an easy install, of a super well designed and well built product. I've used them once so far in the week they have been on, and the Jeep now slides over obstacles much easier than the grind and catch routine with the stock set up. You remove two stock crossmembers and the stock transfer case skid when you put these on, so net weight gain is 120 lbs.

jlur-undercloak-jpeg.jpg

I've done some serious damage to aluminum skid plates in the past, even with just light weight ATVs, so wasn't too excited to go with aluminum skids. What I wish they had is a set of 1/2" thick UHMW plastic skids for a Jeep. I've used them on a few different UTVs, and a few different ATVs, and they are as light as aluminum, but much much more resistant to damage. And they are slick, so they slide right over obstacles. But since they don't make these for a Jeep, the only choices are aluminum or steel, so I went with steel.

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Because this is an upgrade to way less than 1% of jeep owners but it would be a downgrade for the rest of the >99% of owners because:

They will never do any extreme rock crawling, therefore,

The additional hundreds of pounds of weight not only takes away from the already small payload of the wrangler but it will cause a calculable drop in fuel economy for all wranglers,

The wrangler is designed with the ability to radiate a certain amount of heat through the undercarriage. Disallowing this heat dissipation with physical barriers forces the mechanical components to try to cool down in other ways, such as using the coolant more than it was designed to do. Components that do not cool with coolant will just operate at higher temperatures since they will not be able to radiate heat as efficiently.

Even if this isn’t really an issue in the real world, jeep engineers would need to redesign the cooling system (since it wouldn't be within design parameters), and redesign other components to allow them to radiate heat in other ways.

So it is not only an unnecessary addition for >99% of jeep owners, but also for jeep itself, because they would probably need to redesign many components, reconfigure sections of their factory, maybe even acquire different parts from other suppliers, and publisize lower MPG numbers.

I imagine automotive engineers would be able to provide more reasons why jeep doesn’t do this to every single wrangler.
Exactly right!
Wondering about the "skimpy" OEM skids, I decided that many jeep buyers don't care, while those who do probably want to pick their hardware.

(I wouldn't call what I do 'extreme' though I do scrape the bottom side occasionally. I went with Al RH4x4 for peace of mind).

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I'm happy with the Metalcloak skidplates on my JLUR. The worst part of the install was removing already damaged stock skidplate bolts that had the head ground down from dragging on rocks. And I haven't even done any challenging trails yet. Other than that it was an easy install, of a super well designed and well built product. I've used them once so far in the week they have been on, and the Jeep now slides over obstacles much easier than the grind and catch routine with the stock set up. You remove two stock crossmembers and the stock transfer case skid when you put these on, so net weight gain is 120 lbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL If there’s a sexier JL belly out there I haven't seen it jlur-undercloak-jpe

I've done some serious damage to aluminum skid plates in the past, even with just light weight ATVs, so wasn't too excited to go with aluminum skids. What I wish they had is a set of 1/2" thick UHMW plastic skids for a Jeep. I've used them on a few different UTVs, and a few different ATVs, and they are as light as aluminum, but much much more resistant to damage. And they are slick, so they slide right over obstacles. But since they don't make these for a Jeep, the only choices are aluminum or steel, so I went with steel.
Very cool look anodized.

onepluto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Y
Same, the Artec one is my number one but at the same time I can't wait forever.
For those waiting @Artec Industries has released the diesel belly pans and they look to be the same great fit I have been waiting on. Initial price shock and having to order the DEF cover separate I have place my order. Hope to get it before end of summer but just happy it's actually been ordered!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
they have started shipping them.

i received the first couple of pieces of mine yesterday; still waiting on the rest of the shipment (of 5 pieces).

#FedExSucks.

For those waiting @Artec Industries has released the diesel belly pans and they look to be the same great fit I have been waiting on. Initial price shock and having to order the DEF cover separate I have place my order. Hope to get it before end of summer but just happy it's actually been ordered!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m really bummed they took so long to release them. Hoping for a good bonus in a couple months.
Sponsored