Sponsored

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
It's cool to tell people at the bbq that your windshield folds down. But I'd prefer to save a few hundred and not have it.

I think it'll be a relic by the time the next gen wrangler rolls out. They'll add automatic emergency braking, rain sensors for the wipers and who knows what other new and potentially mandated safety tech that will require a traditional windshield.
Word for word that’s exactly what I thought would happen to the JL. Every consecutive Jeep generation made it more and more complex to drop the windshield so it only made sense to get rid of it completely. Yet low and behold out comes the JL with not only a folding windshield, but one of the easiest to fold windshields since WWII.
As a bonus it doesn’t look retarded when it’s folded like the JK does. The JK’s when folded looks like it was in an accident.
Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
"Standard option" is an oxymoron. If a feature is standard, it isn't an option; if it's an option, it isn't standard. ....
[Thread hijack on] "Standard option" is not an oxymoron. I work for a Global company and in North America we have "Standard options" based on regional needs. Just in case a trivia question ever comes up. [thread hijack off] :)

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Word for word that’s exactly what I thought would happen to the JL. Every consecutive Jeep generation made it more and more complex to drop the windshield so it only made sense to get rid of it completely. Yet low and behold out comes the JL with not only a folding windshield, but one of the easiest to fold windshields since WWII.
As a bonus it doesn’t look retarded when it’s folded like the JK does. The JK’s when folded looks like it was in an accident.
I was surprised too. Jeep did a nice job with the JL.

It'll be interesting to see how Safety tech and regs evolve the Wrangler going forward. I'd like to see them incorporate curtain airbags that deploy from the safety cage somehow so they could maintain the removable top.

Can you imagine lane departure alert on a Wrangler? It would be beeping left and right as the jeep meanders back and forth in its lane. That is unless they go to IFS. Hope not.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
$100, no problem. Even if it never goes does go down, cool to say that it can and another great Wrangler differentiation. Besides, it's a $50k vehicle, $100 is rounding error.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
It should stay standard and glad it did. Glad they took such pride in it to make it actually usable as well.

Can't wait to hit the trails again and take it down this time.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think some are making the mistake of thinking that because the poll asks IF you would pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield, it must cost an extra $100 to design it that way. That's not the case.

I can guarantee you that, after a few thousand jeeps are sold, the additional distributed cost of the extra engineering hours that went into designing the JL folding windshield from the previous JK configuration amounts to pennies more in cost. If that. I mean they did reduce the complexity of the JK configuration after all, and there may be material cost savings that more than offset engineering cost.

So all you grumpy naysayers that refuse to fold your windshield down can relax. You're not wasting any money on a feature you won't use, and it is completely optional to use it.

And I know that at some point during your ownership you'll secretly fold it down and think "Huh, this is kind of cool!" Even if you ride motorcycles. Don't worry, if I see you do it I won't tell anyone so you can keep your contrarian street cred.
Not a grumpy naysayer. To me it's like the smokers group. If it was standard it wouldn't bother me. But i won't use it. Since it is an optional package i won't order it.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I have used the fold-down windowshield on a 1966 Jeep. It was great fun and experience, especially when driving slow on snowy mountain trails. I just hope somebody adds some after market parts to make the effort quicker.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I am only saying the windshield fold down option is cool, but has limited utility. If you get a kick out of it - knock yourself out. I probably won't ever put mine down or take it off . . . . on purpose.
I think you’ve got it exactly right, it’s cool and has limited utility. I think a significant percentage of Wrangler buyers are purchasing a lifestyle vehicle. They may never use more than 10% of the Wrangler’s capability but in their subconscious minds they are vicariously living the “Jeep life”. We all do this in different ways, we all have an alter ego. Take away the fold down windshield and the Wrangler loses some of it’s soul.

whit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Really shocked to see how many have voted 'no' so far!

Even if you never fold it down once, it's still part of what makes a Wrangler unique, which makes you smile when you think about it, which helps ingrain the lifestyle that goes along with ownership, which makes it, well, a Jeep thing. You understand, right? Unfortunately, it seems 67% of those who voted so far don't...

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I’m curious what a removable door option poll would look like. I’m willing to bet not everybody pulls their doors off.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m curious what a removable door option poll would look like. I’m willing to bet not everybody pulls their doors off.
I think that’s far more practical and useful even if every owner doesn’t remove them.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I think that’s far more practical and useful even if every owner doesn’t remove them.
I don’t understand how a removable door that is never removed is more practical.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don’t understand how a removable door that is never removed is more practical.
I believe from my own personal nonscientific observation that lots of Jeep owners remove their doors and drive it that way while not wheeling. Often and for extended periods. I see doorless Jeeps all the time. Probably daily during most of the year where I live. I’ve seen someone driving with the windshield dropped exactly 2 times. Ever. The first time years ago I thought, “Cool! I didn’t know Jeep windshields folded down.” The second time I thought, “Why?”

It’s a personal choice thing. This will be my first Jeep. My choice is that droppng the windshield and riding around that way isn’t something I really see myself doing. Maybe I’ll change my mind once I get it? Doubt it. Top off and doors off seems appealing. I’m sure some grizzled Jeep veterans who’ve owned 11 Jeeps since ‘72 will probably disagree or wonder why I even want a Jeep if not to wheel it every weekend humanly possible with the top down, doors off, and windshield down.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
To me the folding windshield seems kind of like a hold over and gimmick. I also think it leads to some of the problems people are experiencing with wind noise and leaking. This got me thinking how many people really want it or will use it? Would you be willing to pay extra for that feature?

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?
A fixed windshield would reduce weight and improve aero/noise properties, so for most of us who will never drop it, fixed would be great. I will say, the foldable windshield does make it easier to really clean the inside of it, plus, getting at those pesky registration stickers is much more convenient...
"Standard option" is an oxymoron. If a feature is standard, it isn't an option; if it's an option, it isn't standard..
But, considering almost everything on a Wrangler is standardly optional (just try and find me a $42k JLUR), it almost makes sense. I mean, is anyone really going to keep their $32k JLU "standard"? For a Wrangler, options are standard.
Sponsored