Sponsored

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That sounds reasonable, if you didn’t have windshield wipers, or some how your face and the interior of the Jeep were somehow impervious to the dust/mud/tar/glare/branches/and bugs that totally made your windshield opaque.
It is really cool it folds down, but it only has limited utility.
Have you ever driven with it folded down?
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
FE33D325-2A88-41B2-919F-953FCDBCF27E.jpeg
I just folded my windshield down for the first time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've owned a TJ and a JK and never folded it down, but it was so easy on the JL and I had everything else removed so I figured why not.

There is nothing like driving down the road in a full size auto with the wind in your face. Makes me want to order a pair of flying goggles. It does look kind of goofy folded onto the hood, but you can easily remove it entirely with an extra two bolts at the hinges.

I will warn you though, after about 50-55 mph you better have it tied down or the windshield will "reapply itself" to the tune of you $hitting your pants. Ask me how I know. Although nothing was damaged, surprisingly, it's not an experience I plan to repeat.

To answer your question, yes I'd pay for it. Will be very cool on the trail.
So it autofolds back up at the right speed? Awesome!
Seriously that Jeep looks great with the doors off and windshield down. The "actual" foldable windshield is one of the perks guiding me towards the JL.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Heh Heh, yeah--wave to me as you go by on I80--in the rain-

Whatever

JIMBO
No different than people driving in the rain with no roof and rhinolined interior. I'm like "knock yourself out, but we all know you're actually miserable".

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Depends. Is the dash waterproof? Still waiting on that. Used to go on my bike on I80. In the rain. Did have a helmet. Would look odd but can always strap one on if conditions get gnarly. Where I drive now. Bikers don’t even wear that. What’s the difference?

Sponsored

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
Have you ever driven with it folded down?
No, I have not. I have not owned a Wrangler. When I get mine, still can't imagine why I would.
I do ride motorcycles, I own 2. Mostly street/highway now, but some logging/well roads.
I have driven wrecked vehicles that have no windshields to body shops.
I grew-up with Dune Buggies ( some had windshields, others didn't )

So, without turning your question around, have some experience in this. I love being "cageless" as some motorcyclist call it. No doors, no top, no windshields - it is a great feeling and experience. But, it can and does have its comfort downsides - and it definitely has its physical risks. Heck, even my truck is a convertible, which I put down at least a quarter of the time.

I am only saying the windshield fold down option is cool, but has limited utility. If you get a kick out of it - knock yourself out. I probably won't ever put mine down or take it off . . . . on purpose.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Never forget. :)

E03B8864-7E68-4FCC-B6E2-E47B3767D61F.jpeg
If it folded down flat that it would be feasible and I migh be able to go for it. But not the current impractical configuration that’s an eyesore (IMO) with the giant obtrusive parts of the A pillars jutting up into the sight line.

I’m tall but I don’t know how anybody has any forward visibility with that thing in the way. Off road, sure. I guess. In traffic? No thanks.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have another Ouray trip planned in July and can't wait to get the top off and fold the windshield down on the trails. I would have never taken it down in the JK but with just 4 bolts on the windshield hell yea I'll try it on the trails.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
image.jpeg
Well, ummm....yeah,

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
If it folded down flat that it would be feasible and I migh be able to go for it. But not the current impractical configuration that’s an eyesore (IMO) with the giant obtrusive parts of the A pillars jutting up into the sight line.

I’m tall but I don’t know how anybody has any forward visibility with that thing in the way. Off road, sure. I guess. In traffic? No thanks.
You'd have at least the same visibility as it is up only the windshield is laying on the hood instead of right in front of you.
When you drive a Jeep long enough, the upright windshield starts getting a little pitted and you really see this heading toward the sun. Dropping the windshield then opens up a whole world of clarity.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
To me the folding windshield seems kind of like a hold over and gimmick. I also think it leads to some of the problems people are experiencing with wind noise and leaking. This got me thinking how many people really want it or will use it? Would you be willing to pay extra for that feature?

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?
I've never had a leaky Jeep. I've had the JL windshield down and it hasn't leaked since, either. I've always wanted to fold it down, but the other Jeeps were just too hard. I also don't think it has anything to do with wind noise. The Jeep's barn door shape has more to do with it than the windshield. If one can't deal with wind noise, a Jeep Wrangler is the last vehicle he or she should consider. I'd recommend a Rav 4 for anyone who can't handle a Jeep.
sngQtK3.jpg

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
With the current design, no. If I didn't have to unscrew anything and just pull a giant lever on each side, then yes. I would pay out the ass for that.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
It's cool to tell people at the bbq that your windshield folds down. But I'd prefer to save a few hundred and not have it.

I think it'll be a relic by the time the next gen wrangler rolls out. They'll add automatic emergency braking, rain sensors for the wipers and who knows what other new and potentially mandated safety tech that will require a traditional windshield.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's cool to tell people at the bbq that your windshield folds down. But I'd prefer to save a few hundred and not have it.

I think it'll be a relic by the time the next gen wrangler rolls out. They'll add automatic emergency braking, rain sensors for the wipers and who knows what other new and potentially mandated safety tech that will require a traditional windshield.
I don't think any of that would require a fixed windshield. But, if it does, I'm glad I got one with it. It is a relic, from 1941, same as the whole concept of the Wrangler. It is one of the things that makes a Jeep a Jeep, and not a Rav 4.

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
I think some are making the mistake of thinking that because the poll asks IF you would pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield, it must cost an extra $100 to design it that way. That's not the case.

I can guarantee you that, after a few thousand jeeps are sold, the additional distributed cost of the extra engineering hours that went into designing the JL folding windshield from the previous JK configuration amounts to pennies more in cost. If that. I mean they did reduce the complexity of the JK configuration after all, and there may be material cost savings that more than offset engineering cost.

So all you grumpy naysayers that refuse to fold your windshield down can relax. You're not wasting any money on a feature you won't use, and it is completely optional to use it.

And I know that at some point during your ownership you'll secretly fold it down and think "Huh, this is kind of cool!" Even if you ride motorcycles. Don't worry, if I see you do it I won't tell anyone so you can keep your contrarian street cred.
Sponsored