Sponsored

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield

If the standard option was a fixed windshield would you pay an extra $100 for a folding windshield?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
"Standard option" is an oxymoron. If a feature is standard, it isn't an option; if it's an option, it isn't standard. I know what you meant, though, and no, I wouldn't pay more for a folding windshield.

Oxymorons are normal with Jeep...When I ordered my Rubi it was 'required' that I select the 'optional' safety group, LED lighting and proximity keyless entry. These were not standard, were clearly labeled as extra-cost options, but at the time FCA would not accept new orders without them...Hence they became 'standard options' during that time period!
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If I was concerned about wind noise, I wouldn't by a jeep. I never folded my windshield on my JK, but only because it was such a pain. I might fold it down if I get a JL, but probably not often.

I've heard the power retractable top is not removable - I wonder if the windshield doesn't fold down? I wonder if there is a market for a fixed top/windshield wrangler as I assume there are lots of hardtops that have never been removed?
The windshield folds down, but you aren't supposed to fold it down.

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I was disappointed when I found out I had to remove 26 or so bolts to drop the JK windshield. I am happy they have made it easier with a total of 6 bolts. This fact that the windshield folds is not the reason for the wind noise. People have been finding issues with seals that have NOTHING to do with the windshield folding.

To me this would be like asking if you would pay an extra X dollars to create a Jeep Wrangler with a solid top and no option to remove it as well as non removable doors. Well if you do that it is not a Jeep Wrangler. It is not a gimmick to have the windshield fold down, it is what a Jeep Wrangler is and has always been.
YES

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I folded my windshield once; to clean it and to say I did. I never will bother again. I really don’t see the need for the feature. At least in old Jeep’s you could say it improved sight lines because it took down the a-pillars too; here it’s just the glass. Frame is still there. Dumb.

CF7EE4D8-2327-4015-8023-B4DBCD4089B0.jpeg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep doesn’t do $100 options, it would be a $1,000 option.
That’s just what I was gonna say!

FCA prices move in $500 increments!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I folded my windshield once; to clean it and to say I did. I never will bother again. I really don’t see the need for the feature. At least in old Jeep’s you could say it improved sight lines because it took down the a-pillars too; here it’s just the glass. Frame is still there. Dumb.

CF7EE4D8-2327-4015-8023-B4DBCD4089B0.jpeg
The reason the window folds down like that, is because the old farts in the focus groups complained that they would not buy another Jeep unless the windshield continues to fold down. So FCA comes up with this compromise that is neither here nor there.

At least the magazine writers are delighted when they are flown to California, put in a nice hotel near Lake Tahoe, fed a nice breakfast, and then taken to the Rubicon trail to drive a bunch of JLs...with the windshield folded down.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
As many of you know, the original intent for the folding windshield was for fitting the MB into a shipping crate. The MB was shipped with the windshield and its frame detached and placed in a separate box in front of the jeep. The windshield was refered to as a windscreen according to my grandfather. The folding windshield proved it's value during service as it could easily be lowered to maintain visibility when the glass became muddy, bloody, or riddled with bullet holes. It was also easier to shoot at the enemy while in hot pursuit not having the windscreen in the upright position.

The fold down windshield also proved it's flexibility in the bush with big game hunter's then wildlife photography.

I,d prefer that Jeep retain the fold down windshield feature but would like to have the option to fully remove it like the doors which would assure the intend purpose of improved visibility. I understand the purpose of the A pillars comprising the "roll cage" but they do detract from the true openness and functionality of the original design.

I would not like to see the Wranglers heritage features eliminated for comfort as there are plenty of other vehicle choices with fixed windshields, roofs, and non-removable doors ensuring ones comfort. Part of the Wranglers appeal is it's removable components that transform it in a matter of minutes which you can't do with any other vehicle until the Bronco arrives. And yes, I know the new Broncos windshield is fixed.
Sponsored