Sponsored

If the new JL is too pricey

JL Jihad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I just want to make a quick first post on my view of the pricing issue. I had a 14 JK sport. Sold it recently for more than I thought it was worth quite frankly (very good condition though). Took my good fortune to a dealer, they did not have a JLUR on the lot that I liked so I waited and shopped around. About two weeks later one shows up with pretty much everything I wanted minus one item that I can live without no problem. Showed them some base offers I had found at other dealers, made a offer considerably short of the sticker and a mopar maxcare for 2665.00/100.00 deductible (about half of the standard price). I've always wanted to move to a Rubicon and specked out one last year. My JL costs a little under what they wanted for the JKUR I was looking at 8 months ago (they of course are heavily discounted now). I am glad I waited and I think the price is fair for what is now on the JL both inside and out. It really is night and day in almost every sense. I loved my JK sport but I actually always felt that it was the price gouge vehicle in the Jeep line up when it came to value. So far no issues on my JLUR, its the first automatic I have ever owned (Im also a motorcyclist so I take gear shifting seriously) and I have to say this transmission and whatever else they have done has changed the game on the Pentastar. My point? Deal when it comes to the price. The dealers will budge, if they don't another one will. Im not rich but I can afford a Rubi and Im glad I made it happen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
jeeps were overpriced IMO before + are even worse now!! i like many have to buy preowned, driving off the lot a new ride looses thousands in a few weeks!!!!
If you buy a Chevy or an Audi perhaps ;), not so much with a Wrangler since they hold their value better than the greater market.

I’m currently at 6 years of ownership and estimated to only lose about 30-35% of what I paid new. Also if you buy right up front, you’re not losing much in depreciation in the first year.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
My prediction: future threads along the lines of complaints about pricing, etc from non-owners will be locked, removed and the OPs warned/banned.
When that happens on a regular basis, forums get a bad reputation and people leave, perhaps even starting a competing forum that sucks all the air out of it such as happened with the JK. People like forums whose owners / moderators have a light touch, only deleting actual abuse of other users, not factual statements.

Regarding pricing, the pricing of the JL certainly is giving me pause. JL Unlimited Rubicons on the dealer lots here are around $50K. Even the Sports are around $40K. Given that I paid $35K for my JK Rubicon, and $24K for my LJ Unlimited Sport before that, that's a big chunk of change. I'd have to be crazy to not do my due diligence before pulling the trigger, including discussing how the JL compares to semi-competitors like the Toyota Tacoma (which is often used for overlanding just like the Wrangler Unlimited), Chevy Colorado, and upcoming Ford Ranger, as well as a possible new Ford Bronco that supposedly will be offroad-oriented (we'll see). The exit of the XTerra and FJ Cruiser certainly had an effect on Wrangler prices, once they were gone the prices went out the roof. It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone actually introduces something aimed at the offroad market again to compete on at least some basis with the Wrangler.

At this point I'm adopting a wait-and-see attitude. Probably wise, given that pioneers are the ones found with arrows in their backs...

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Regarding pricing, the pricing of the JL certainly is giving me pause. It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone actually introduces something aimed at the offroad market again to compete on at least some basis with the Wrangler.
Your well reasoned reply is an excellent example of how one substitutes information for complaints. Rather than creating rancor by criticizing FCA, JL owners and/or potential buyers, you simply pointed out the facts with respect to alternative options. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, highly useful information for those performing due diligence and considering different product offerings.

Where discussions can go off the rails is when perceived self-conceived rights, entitlements or expectations are introduced by claimants with expectations of sympathy and support. Trying to compare a core staple, such as milk, to a completely discretionary item - and one that is now essentially a luxury item at that - is the height of absurdity. This type of fallacious reasoning is what causes friction, because there's no viable starting point with the amount of remedial education required.

However, with all that being said, this forum exists for one reason, and one reason only - and it's not out of the goodness of anyone's heart. This site exists to harvest and supply viewer eyeballs to sponsors and advertisers. That's it, full.stop. end of story. As such, the only participants the principals desire are those who will eventually purchase after-market products & services.

Everyone else is just noise. To the extent that potential future buyers participate in a meaningful, useful manner, then those contributions can help enhance the overall ecosystem. But complainers and trolls? Perhaps an apt comparison would be the neighbor who lets his dog shit on your lawn without picking it up.

PS As an aside, I myself provide an excellent example of the target profile sought: I've used this site to research and decide on getting: (a) a locking cubby hold; and (b) rock slider steps. That's around $700 out of the box, and it's probably just for starters.

PPS You could also probably bet your last dollar that the site owner, sponsors and advertisers are also invested in FCA. They, more than anyone, can tell from their own buy-thru rates what the imputed sales volume tracking numbers are going forward.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
.."harvest and supply viewer eyeballs to sponsors and advertisers "..
Now there's an Image...
Legitimate comments and complaints in Forums are a great tool for the prime manufacturer and vendors. They get a distillation of information in one easy to access location.
Good that voices are heard, and actions taken to improve the "product".
The JL will only get better, thanks to legitimate input from actual participants in the JL "experience". Whiny Trolls and Wannabees are easily identified, and will fade away when ignored. Don't Feed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
One thing I will note for those considering a Sport: Sports lose their value much quicker
However, with all that being said, this forum exists for one reason, and one reason only - and it's not out of the goodness of anyone's heart. This site exists to harvest and supply viewer eyeballs to sponsors and advertisers.
Of course. That is also the reason the site exists that lost over half its viewership because it regularly deleted users who criticized an advertiser's product in a review or criticized Chrysler. My point is that Americans, in particular, are an ornery and fickle lot who love to complain and who hate what they view as "censorship" even if it is not directed at them. I was never censored on the site I mention above (and I definitely own a JK with lots of mods to it so I was their target market), but when I saw people I know in real life being censored or removed from the forum, I left, as did half their eyeballs, and joined the competing site that *didn't* censor like that.

It is the same reason Amazon leaves up reviews that are critical of the products that it sells. Those reviews don't help sell products, but if they regularly removed them, people would quit reading the reviews including the helpful reviews under the assumption that the helpful reviews are not honest. People value what they perceive as honesty, and if they perceive a place where they're reading reviews and information as being dishonest because it censors negative reviews of products, they quit reading it. No more eyeballs. No more site, if it's reliant heavily upon those eyeballs.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
One thing I will note for those considering a Sport: Sports lose their value much quicker

Of course. That is also the reason the site exists that lost over half its viewership because it regularly deleted users who criticized an advertiser's product in a review or criticized Chrysler. My point is that Americans, in particular, are an ornery and fickle lot who love to complain and who hate what they view as "censorship" even if it is not directed at them. I was never censored on the site I mention above (and I definitely own a JK with lots of mods to it so I was their target market), but when I saw people I know in real life being censored or removed from the forum, I left, as did half their eyeballs, and joined the competing site that *didn't* censor like that.

It is the same reason Amazon leaves up reviews that are critical of the products that it sells. Those reviews don't help sell products, but if they regularly removed them, people would quit reading the reviews including the helpful reviews under the assumption that the helpful reviews are not honest. People value what they perceive as honesty, and if they perceive a place where they're reading reviews and information as being dishonest because it censors negative reviews of products, they quit reading it. No more eyeballs. No more site, if it's reliant heavily upon those eyeballs.
Sports do not lose their value much quicker. As a matter of fact they hold their value better than any other model as a percentage. That is why their lease residuals are also the highest of all the models.

The base sport in particular holds its value well. The used market likes lower cost Jeeps.

I do agree that it makes no sense for moderators to censor the site as long as people are being civil. The downside of censoring whiners is not worth it.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Sounds more like you are trying to lay out a case (built on some questionable hyperbole and mischaracterization) for admin to ban forum members who discuss something you do not care to have discussed. Clearly the only two topics admin should ban on this site, are discussion of touch screen bezel size, and color of tow hooks. ;)
More like just merge all of these JLs are too expensive threads and make it a sticky titled... I want a better Wrangler for Cheap!

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't think anyone really has a problem with JL owners, and/or those with a firm interest in purchasing, moaning, bitching, complaining, ranting and/or praising the Jeep. That's one of the key benefits gained from the price of admission. It's really no different than a private country club or homeowner's association - what do they care about someone who isn't a member? The right of expression in a private forum belongs to those who have a stake, not some random drive-by troll attempting to create discord.

Secondly, and this is more of a concern to the principals, is that it's very easy to disguise oneself and pretend to be an aggrieved party. I could create a new handle, and perhaps even go to the extent of masking my IP, and immediately go to work spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. Even more deviously, I could be a principal in a competing media enterprise and do the same exact thing with the intent of destroying the site's viewership/activity levels.

While it's fun to pretend everything is unicorns & skittles, the reality is that when (real) money is at stake, the rules of the game become by necessity a bit tighter.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
As expensive as the current JL Wrangler is, it is only going to get that much more expensive in the future. If you are on the fence weigh this fact along with your current financial situation. I decided to jump now even though I usually wait 1 year at least for major purchases for them to work out the bugs, warranty items, and revisions. I year from now the JL will only be more expensive especially if a trade war really does break out. I am waiting for my Sting Gray JLU Sahara in about 5 weeks or so and rest easy knowing its resale and future price increases mean I made a good deal.
Sponsored