Sponsored

If the JLU Sport is getting Dana 44s, what can we expect for the Rubicon?

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
This is going to be my first Wrangler and something that has been puzzling me is how I am going to go about lifting the truck. If I'm correct, the JKU comes with Dana 30s on the sport and 44s on the Rubicon. Now if the JLU is coming with 44s on the sport then can we expect 60s on the Rubicon or am I reaching? My plan was to buy a sport and use the extra money on suspension upgrades but looks like a Rubicon may be a little easier to start with considering the new upgrades. Really since I won't be doing any hardcore trailing, would a sport still be efficient enough? I'm looking to run 37s or 40s within the first couple months of getting the JLU. Potentially flipping my new 2018 JLU over doesn't hype me up but I'd still like to be able to climb a couple curbs while mall crawling. :rock:
Sponsored

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
40s? You gonna need more than 44s of you do any off-road at all. If you don't go
Off-road I'll just not understand anything over a 33. Lol.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
You can climb curbs with 29s...

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
40s? You gonna need more than 44s of you do any off-road at all. If you don't go
Off-road I'll just not understand anything over a 33. Lol.
People run 40's on d44's all the time just a good idea to strengthen your axles. I know a guy who ran 37's on his Sahara no problem although he did Synergy sleeves and gusset on it.

Also is it confirmed that the JLU sport will come with front and rear 44's or is it just a rumor?

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I can't answer your question but I will say I am like you, and probably 90% if not more of JK owners that never take their Jeep off-road. Those 90% are what helps set sales records for the JK which keeps FCA designing and offering the JK for sale.We are a vital part of the Jeep family, more sales allow the hard core off-roaders the opportunity to buy a JK, and soon a JL. Plus, when us mall crawlers get ready to sell our rigs someone will get a built rig that hasn't been thrashed on the trail. :)

Now back to the OP's question, better than Dana 44's for the Rubicon?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I would love to see 60s on the Rubi, but it's unlikely as they are heavy and exepensive for soemthing the aftermarket allready has covered in spades.

Also the Sport can come with a D30/44 combo already and that option is likely to remain but in an updated variant.

I don't know the lineup, other than Dana has confirmed there are new axles for the JLU, whether that's just JK recon level of new or all new is the question. Some insiders have already said that the suspension updates will offer better lift options and require less after market parts for the typical lift (of course once typical become stock then the 'typical' bar will move again of course ). However I think most of that change is beyond the axles themselves.

I wouod suspect the only hope of a D60 (or equivalent AAM 9.25-style axle) is if that comes with the JT, but from even the test mules, that options seems to be pair with a different configuration 4/5-link rear that the JL (shocks in JT point forward for better load management, shocks in JL point oack like the JK for better squatting & articulation).

I suspect what we'll see in the JL is a Recon-level refresh of what's already in the JK, think of it as near 'ProRock' calibre stock options.

So if you're not looking at other components like transfer case, etc. and just looking for height and bigger rubber, then likely getting a Sport and riping it out and poping in what you want is likely still the vest option, because even a stock upgraded Recon D44 isn't gonna handle that big a boost without reinforcements.

OP
OP
Izzy901

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I would love to see 60s on the Rubi, but it's unlikely as they are heavy and exepensive for soemthing the aftermarket allready has covered in spades.

Also the Sport can come with a D30/44 combo already and that option is likely to remain but in an updated variant.

I don't know the lineup, other than Dana has confirmed there are new axles for the JLU, whether that's just JK recon level of new or all new is the question. Some insiders have already said that the suspension updates will offer better lift options and require less after market parts for the typical lift (of course once typical become stock then the 'typical' bar will move again of course ). However I think most of that change is beyond the axles themselves.

I wouod suspect the only hope of a D60 (or equivalent AAM 9.25-style axle) is if that comes with the JT, but from even the test mules, that options seems to be pair with a different configuration 4/5-link rear that the JL (shocks in JT point forward for better load management, shocks in JL point oack like the JK for better squatting & articulation).

I suspect what we'll see in the JL is a Recon-level refresh of what's already in the JK, think of it as near 'ProRock' calibre stock options.

So if you're not looking at other components like transfer case, etc. and just looking for height and bigger rubber, then likely getting a Sport and riping it out and poping in what you want is likely still the vest option, because even a stock upgraded Recon D44 isn't gonna handle that big a boost without reinforcements.
Yeah, you pretty much answered everything. I'll just stick to my plan and get a sport and reinforce what I need to then when I'm ready, I'll make the big hop and upgrade the axel's as necessary.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
With the JL being lighter, there's no reason to go to a D60. The D44 will do just fine, although I'd bet on a strengthened unit for the Rubi, like the new limited run Rubi they have out right now, except probably improved further.

OP
OP
Izzy901

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
With the JL being lighter, there's no reason to go to a D60. The D44 will do just fine, although I'd bet on a strengthened unit for the Rubi, like the new limited run Rubi they have out right now, except probably improved further.
Yeah you right. No reason atleast for now with me running 37s and mall crawling. As time progresses, I'm sure I'll need to replace the axels but that'll be when the JLU is good and worn out and becomes a actual trail rig lol years and years and years from now.

Sponsored

rasberry77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
This is going to be my first Wrangler and something that has been puzzling me is how I am going to go about lifting the truck. If I'm correct, the JKU comes with Dana 30s on the sport and 44s on the Rubicon. Now if the JLU is coming with 44s on the sport then can we expect 60s on the Rubicon or am I reaching? My plan was to buy a sport and use the extra money on suspension upgrades but looks like a Rubicon may be a little easier to start with considering the new upgrades. Really since I won't be doing any hardcore trailing, would a sport still be efficient enough? I'm looking to run 37s or 40s within the first couple months of getting the JLU. Potentially flipping my new 2018 JLU over doesn't hype me up but I'd still like to be able to climb a couple curbs while mall crawling. :rock:
Definitely reaching there's no way they're going to put 60s in a Rubicon