Sponsored

If Rubicons come with a 2" lift from the factory, why add an aftermarket lift of the same amount?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a better question is, aside from aesthetic preference of "moar height better," why lift a Rubicon at all, especially a JL? I say this fully recognizing that aesthetics are an important thing, and worth it in and of itself for many people. If you lifted your Jeep because this is America and you like it that way, damn skippy and more power to yah'.

The funny thing is, though, when I crack a cold one with guys at campsites and talk rigs, very very few people say they lifted their Rubicon for looks. Capability is the biggest thing I hear, and when coming from Rubicon owners using their vehicle in an exploring/general purpose application that is most certainly off pavement, but not proper rock crawling, it's worth a friendly elbow to the ribs because that's just a bunch of baloney. Now, before someone swoops in with the talons of justice to school me on tires and angles...I get how suspension works. JL Rubicons sit high enough to clear 33s, disconnected, from the factory. A seat of the pants, zero data estimation here, but I'd reckon well over 95% of Rubicon owners will never need the vehicles factory capability for what they actually do.

This being said, why might a person actually want to lift their Rubicon? A great answer might be:
  1. Weight. After adding some accessories, namely bumpers, winches, tents, etc...the sag is real. Adding some springs meant for the additional weight you want to carry, that will put you at or close to original suspension angles loaded, is a very, very great reason to lift a JL Rubicon.
Weight is the #1 reason I lifted my Rubi with a 2" Synergy Frankenlift setup. Fully loaded (gear + jeep addons) I'm maybe 1-1.5 inches above factory height.

Beyond a better breakover, I haven't gained too much more. I'm still running 33s, so the axles don't gain any extra ground clearance, but the suspension is a MUCH nicer ride... so that's a plus :)

To be clear, the suspension ride is fine from factory (to me) until a bunch of extras are added. Then you start to notice those potholes just a bit more... Jeeps will (and should not in my opinion) feel like driving a sedan, but a nice ride is appreciated.
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
A seat of the pants, zero data estimation here, but I'd reckon well over 95% of Rubicon owners will never need the vehicles factory capability for what they actually do.
You are very possibly correct. Me, I have a 2.5 inch lift and 37s...I don't think my pucker factor needs any place that won't take me. I can say at a week old I was dragging and gouging skid plates stock.

Reactions: TMP

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just put a 3 inch lift kit in a JLUR and only got about a 1.5 lift out of the Jeep. And it was from a well known company. The advertised lift height is just a number, if you are serious phone the manufacture and ask them what their lift does.
Some of the companies claim 2 or 3 inches after bumpers and winch, that would be even higher on a stocker.
People lift Jeeps only 2 or 2.5 because that's what they think they need to clear whatever tires they want. But in a Jeep world is it really ever enough?

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
So how high is the 392 going to be?

Reactions: TMP

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Because it's all LIES! Marketing crap. Lifts are almost always taller then their advertised size, tires are always smaller than their advertised size. Horsepower is listed at the crank which is much higher than at the wheel, and fuel economy appears to be some number drawn from a hat. "Offroad lights" are listed in lumens, lux, or candela, which don't directly relate to one another, winch capacities are the maximum theoretically possible with a single wrap on the drum, and towing capacity is limited by lawyers. LOL!

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Maybe a better question is, aside from aesthetic preference of "moar height better," why lift a Rubicon at all, especially a JL? I say this fully recognizing that aesthetics are an important thing, and worth it in and of itself for many people. If you lifted your Jeep because this is America and you like it that way, damn skippy and more power to yah'.

The funny thing is, though, when I crack a cold one with guys at campsites and talk rigs, very very few people say they lifted their Rubicon for looks. Capability is the biggest thing I hear, and when coming from Rubicon owners using their vehicle in an exploring/general purpose application that is most certainly off pavement, but not proper rock crawling, it's worth a friendly elbow to the ribs because that's just a bunch of baloney. Now, before someone swoops in with the talons of justice to school me on tires and angles...I get how suspension works. JL Rubicons sit high enough to clear 33s, disconnected, from the factory. A seat of the pants, zero data estimation here, but I'd reckon well over 95% of Rubicon owners will never need the vehicles factory capability for what they actually do.

This being said, why might a person actually want to lift their Rubicon? A great answer might be:
  1. Weight. After adding some accessories, namely bumpers, winches, tents, etc...the sag is real. Adding some springs meant for the additional weight you want to carry, that will put you at or close to original suspension angles loaded, is a very, very great reason to lift a JL Rubicon.

Your statement is pretty accurate I'd say. I'm probably one of the 5% here who are using their Jeep to do more than the factory capability would allow. One of the benefits of a higher quality lift kit is added droop, which translates to more stability in very unlevel terrain and rock crawling situations. The ability for one side of your axle to drop down an extra few inches and actually hold the Jeep's weight can be the difference between successfully navigating a trail or flopping your Jeep over on its side. Basically, a good lift will do a better job at keeping all 4 tires on the ground in crawling situations.

The other benefit is more room for bigger tires. For those staying on 33s, more power to you. But when you start upping the tire size, a quality lift will allow more room for the tires to travel better when crawling, and again adds to stability when crawling.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
Okay, so I'm trying to understand why anyone would add an aftermarket lift of 2" or 2.5" to their rubicon when rubicons already come with a 2" lift from the factory. I also remember reading that the Recon comes with an additional 0.5" lift, meaning if I were to add an aftermarket lift of 2.5" there would be no real change to my Jeep.

I've seen multiple posts where people have added in, for example, the Teraflex 2.5" lift to their rubicon, and I'm not understanding why someone would spend thousands for half an extra inch. It would seem to me that the 2.5" kids are mostly for the lower trims without factory lifts.
Agree, a swedish penis pump can save a bundle of money!

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
Attached is a pic of my Rubicon. First pic stock, 2nd pic added 35s and 3rd pic added RK 2.5 x-factor lift with fox shocks.

You can see the height difference between all 3. Hopefully this helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL If Rubicons come with a 2" lift from the factory, why add an aftermarket lift of the same amount? 20201215_091328

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Plus, the factory “33”” tires also add some additional height on the Rubicon.
Which measure exactly 32” when new at correct PSI

koi4fun

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
I just bought a 2021 jlur and they told me that it had a 1" lift built in for what it is worth.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I just bought a 2021 jlur and they told me that it had a 1" lift built in for what it is worth.
They? The sales staff? Unless they can show the spacers they put on, then no. A Rubicon has a different suspension than other Wranglers. No lift from the factory.

Jessjames357

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Just to reinforce the previous posts about the difference between a Sport/Sahara suspension and a Rubicon suspension... The Rubi's is definitely taller and my Jeep sits an inch higher than stock. Now I wish I had gotten a pic of the spring difference but I was trying to keep the mess of springs from getting mixed up since we were doing one Jeep right after the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL If Rubicons come with a 2" lift from the factory, why add an aftermarket lift of the same amount? 20201215_091328
So i have a Sahara with a 2.5" spacer lift running 35's and was thinking about swaping the stock suspension with the Rubi take offs would that give me another inch?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So i have a Sahara with a 2.5" spacer lift running 35's and was thinking about swaping the stock suspension with the Rubi take offs would that give me another inch?
It should sit an inch higher, and have a longer suspension travel.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Do you know if the control are are the same or are the different as well?
The only parts I swapped out were the springs and shocks. I also don't have spacers, so I don't know how that would affect your case.
Sponsored