First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
My last Jeep, a JLR, was my 16th, and probably last for a while. I love the advances they’ve made with the platform, but not enough to pay that much for a Jeep. Currently enjoying a major change in pace…

IMG_6298.jpeg

1991 Range Rover Classic with a 2” OME lift, ARB front bumper and 265/75R16 KM3s.

A parts rig is donating a lot of straight body panels and hard-to-source bits. And it’s been a lot of fun learning a new platform’s idiosyncrasies.
And that is a rig with a lot of idiosyncrasies to learn!

At least they hadn't gone stupid with the electronics yet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

en480c4

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Range Rover Classic
And that is a rig with a lot of idiosyncrasies to learn!

At least they hadn't' gone stupid with the electronics yet.
They had already gone pretty stupid! Different ECU's scattered throughout the thing... Every system has their own instead of a whole-vehicle BCM. One for the power windows, one for the power seats, and so on. The cool thing is the aluminum body panels just unbolt. I got sick of my leaky sunroof and found a relatively rare OEM rare sunroof-delete roof. About 50 screws later...

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? IMG_7007

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? IMG_6998

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? IMG_7004

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Before my Jeep, I had an '06 GMC Sierra, and that's what I was shopping for - switching to Silverado, RST Z71 Texas Edition. However, over 15 years in that truck, I had a bed cover on 95% of the time, and probably towed something once.

So I really love my Jeep. If I had to get something else, it'd be an SUV of some sort. I really love having covered/protected cargo space that's accessible from within the vehicle. I also love the open-air freedom. One of the things that pushed me away from the SIlverado was because (at the time) they hadn't re-done the interior, so you could only get a normal sunroof.

I also like the smaller size. The new Silverados are HUMONGOUS and would have a hard time fitting in my garage. The Jeep is snug, but it fits without having to fold the mirrors or crawl out the window.

I really like the Rivian R1S - a lot. I also saw I think it might have been a Land Cruiser the other day that had the split back - a "hatch" like what we have on the Wrangler, but then a little tailgate that folded down. I really like that a lot. I also think it'd be fun to find a well-kept XJ and build it up a little. Mostly stock, but with a proper AA head unit, Bluetooth, and a modest lift on 33's. Clean and close to OEM.

If we're going completely off, my dream car since I was like, 6, has been a 1969 Stingray. Monaco orange with a black interior, t-tops, chrome sidepipes. But I have two young children and a 2-car garage, so the Orange Bandit is still to come.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
I have had two Geo Tracers. Dam near impossible to break. I jumped mine hundreds of times on the sand dunes, and turned it over to the kids when they were like 12 years of age and they beat it in the swamp for a couple summers with out killing it. The final straw was a squirrel got into it and ate the wires out of it. The last one I bought was for $400 and I put 60,000 hard miles on it. Used to wheel it on Drummond Island often. Had a body lift and 32s on it.
Two days ago, I don't think I would have remembered where the antenna was on a Geo Tracker without looking at a pic. Yesterday afternoon, I was closing the soft top on my Jeep, and instinctively reached up -- above the windshield on the driver's side -- to push aside the antenna. 😂

Mainsail

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 2002 Liberty Limited, 1986 M1009
Vehicle Showcase
If I didn't have my JL I would put more money into restoring my '90 K5 and driving that on the reg.

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? IMG_7004
So many options with this route vs buying new.

The supply of surplus CUCVs has mostly dried up, but you can still find a deal on them if you look, and parts are still plentiful. Runs on diesel and even diesel/used motor oil mixed. This is my '86 milsurp CUCV M1009.

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? Topless2b

The WK series of Grand Cherokees were actually more capable (in many environments) than all but the Rubicon as they came with fully locking front and rear diffs. I've crawled up deeply rutted hills without spinning a tire, leaving the wrangler drivers mouths agape. You can find a WK pretty inexpensively.

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? 2014c

Back to milsurp, I just picked up a surplus M1165 HMMWV, and am into it for less than half what a late model Sahara wrangler would cost. My AC doesn't currently work but it's all there and will work again some day. Unlike the earlier gen HMMWVs, the ECV series has 6.5 liter turbo diesels and 4-speed OD transmissions. 19" of ground clearance stock, without raising the center of gravity and making it unstable. Gets smiles and thumbs-ups wherever I go, and is relatively simple to maintain.

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? Keyport01a
Last is the milsurp I want but can't get because I don't have the room to park it- the M1078. What a monster! I know a few people that drive them, some as daily drivers although it drinks diesel like it's cheap.

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? 1685192901407

So, all to say, if you're willing to turn a wrench, or learn how, there are numerous options out there.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I have a Jeep JL, Ford Super Duty and a dual sport motorcycle. All of my vehicles have to be off road capable, and any new vehicle would be too.
Ditto, except my pickup is a mini-super-duty.

Throatcuttter

First Name
Bobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR, Badlands Traveler, Carbon Cub
Got a Gen 3 Raptor a month ago. I havent so much as started the JL since...

20230519_182042-01-X2.jpg

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Dare I say...a Bronco if for nothing else other than the power and power train...less the IFS.

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
Before I got my JL I had to have a serious debate in which I still occasionally have regrets, but have settled with knowing my next vehicle (only have a handful in life if you're fortunate) will be my other dream car.
Hopefully the Jeep will still be kicking, I'll be richer, and have more time to use them both.

70' or 71' Challenger (or 69 Charger also would be acceptable)
Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? Screenshot_20230606_234353_Chrome

I just know I'd put so much time into it. So perhaps ~10yr from now.

Last edited:

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
Got a Gen 3 Raptor a month ago. I havent so much as started the JL since...

Jeep Wrangler JL If not a Wrangler, then what? Screenshot_20230606_234353_Chrome
We have similar taste. Gen 2 raptor, 2023 Rubicin XR and Honda talon. Nice. By the way, get goosetuned on that truck. Winfield does a great job! No issues with tune for over 50k miles.

MattJL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.0
Before I got my JL I had to have a serious debate in which I still occasionally have regrets, but have settled with knowing my next vehicle (only have a handful in life if you're fortunate) will be my other dream car.
Hopefully the Jeep will still be kicking, I'll be richer, and have more time to use them both.

70' or 71' Challenger (or 69 Challenger also would be acceptable)

I just know I'd put so much time into it. So perhaps ~10yr from now.
Those Challenger beasts are surely fun to ride!
Sponsored