Sponsored

if MPG/MPH is inaccurate after installing larger tires - is my odometer too?

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Help me understand this.

My thought process is that:

If by adding larger tires my MPG changes, and the only variable in the Miles Per Gallon calculation is the "Miles" due to the larger tires... does this mean that my actual miles per the odometer are also incorrect?

Same with MPH - according to this forum, the MPH is off by +/- 5mph depending on tire set up - again, the only thing that changes here is the M in the MPH formula because the time is the same.

Based on my logic above, and the fact that the Odometer is used to keep track of the miles - I feel like my odometer could also be inaccurate.

Thoughts? I might be stupid, I probably am, so maybe I'm missing a big elephant in the room, but logically makes sense to me.

I started wondering about this because I've had my Rubicon for less than 7 months, and I installed mopar lift and 35s almost immediately after purchase - this morning my odometer read 10,050... There is no freaaaaaaaaaking way I've driven 10,000+ miles in 7 months.
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. It will be off. However, you’ve driven more miles than your odometer reads. Your speedometer and odometer are off roughly 6-7% which means you’ve driven 6-7% farther than your odometer indicates since you installed the 35s.

Swadehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock, 2019 Rubicon, 2023 392
It will be off, but as mentioned, the discrepancy will be "in your favor" if you will. So you have actually driven more than your odometer states...

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, like the others stated you actually put more miles on than indicated. The stock Rubicon tires are about 33”, so if true size, circumference would be 103.67” and going to 35’s, the circumference would be 109.96”. So per revolution of the tire you’re getting 6” more travel.

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well - bummer... :headbang:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why bummer?

It's kind of a good thing... favorable for you. Your Jeep has less recorded miles than has actually been put on.
bummer because that means that I have, in fact, driven 10,000+ miles in 7 months! Lol

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
You can either reprogram your PCM or change your time. To do later, you need drive your Jeep near a black hole, but be careful don't go too close to the event horizon.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
bummer because that means that I have, in fact, driven 10,000+ miles in 7 months! Lol
I still must be misunderstanding. How is that a bad thing?! Hahaha, I'm loving every second I am driving my Jeep - I'm looking for reasons just to drive it around.

I've had my Jeep a little over a month and it's approaching 4k miles. :jk:

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can either reprogram your PCM or change your time. To do later, you need drive your Jeep near a black hole, but be careful don't go too close to the event horizon.
already a step ahead - I bought my Jeep with a black hole included. The factory installed it on the left side of the Jeep, almost on top of the rear bumper. At least it feels like a black hole...

Swadehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock, 2019 Rubicon, 2023 392
If you step up to 40" tires, the mileage actually starts to roll backwards. Facts. Look it up.
Sponsored