Sponsored

If Money Grew On Trees I’d still chose a Wrangler!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This is a long, convoluted story.

Chrysler, like most automakers, used to survey customers’ satisfaction with their dealer experience. But then Chrysler went bankrupt and Fiat took it over.

Sergio Marchionne did not believe in tracking customer satisfaction; in his mind “good dealers will raise to the top and poor dealers will flounder,” as if by magic. So one of the first things he did was cancel Chrysler’s long-standing dealer satisfaction tracking program.

Unfortunately, things didn’t work as Marchionne envisioned: poor dealers stay in operation for a variety of reasons. For instance, some customers, like myself, have only one local dealer so we have no alternative; also, state laws are heavily biased towards protecting dealers from the automakers.

The end result of Marchionne’s experiment was that customers’ experience with CDJR dealers deteriorated dramatically over the next several years. By 2014-2015, CDJR dealers were firmly at the bottom of the JD Power Customer Satisfaction rankings —see below.
1632678506548.jpeg

By this juncture FCA finally realized that letting dealers do as they pleased wasn’t working. So it introduced a new dealer satisfaction tracking program that tied dealer bonuses down to individual survey responses. Worse, anything below an 8 on a 10-point scale was considered a “fail.” So now dealer staff was more focused on managing survey responses than on doing a good job. It was a big mess.

Just like FCA loves to tinker nonstop with vehicle options and colors, with the pricing and ordering system, FCA also loves to tinker with every else, including making warranty claims more difficult, and making endless changes to the customer satisfaction program. FCA has continued to screw around with the program hoping to get better results, but things haven’t improved.

It’s gotten to the point that some dealers have given up trying to please FCA, let alone please the customer. Many have taken the stance that they will refuse every warranty claim that comes through the door, using whatever excuse, to avoid getting screwed by FCA. The whole thing is one big mess.

Unsurprisingly, CDJR dealers continue to suck. 2021 results show no improvement —see below.
1632679290661.jpeg

FCA has proved brilliant at developing and building the vehicles people want. Unfortunately, it has also proved terrible at the soft side of business: it totally sucks at marketing, at managing dealers and suppliers, and at honoring the commitments it makes to customers.

The latest issue with my dealer is that after it sold me and installed the Mopar lift, now refuses to do the steering box TSB under the pretext that it “has 35-inch tires and an aftermarket track bar...”.

I’ve been arguing with this dealer, for one reason or another, since I moved here four-and-a-half years ago, and I’m exhausted. After 30+ years owning Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles, I may have to cut my losses and buy something else next time.
I agree there are definitely some really crappy dealers and FCA enable them. FCA-Stallantis needs to realize dealers are their ambassadors and what they do or don't do reflect on their brand. They need to hold bad dealer accountable.

Is the steering box acting wonky now and in need of replacement? Maybe try locating a dealer that might be more mod friendly. Is traveling to another dealer a option?

The window might still be open. See if used values are still high. Back in May I was able to sell my 2.5 year old JLR for a little more than what I actually paid for it brand new. Maybe sell if values are still inflated and order a 2022 JL with the XR package from one of the dealers who are selling for 6%-7% under invoice? That way the dealer will not have any excuses for warranty.

Or dare I say it... Bronco?
Sponsored

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
I'm gonna go with a 1984 Ford Bronco (like the one from Commando, and just bomb it down hills and stuff). That shit is just too classic to not have 1. Make that 2, I'll cut the top off and cruise PCH.

I imagine I would have a lineup of wranglers, including a CJ with the eagle on the hood like Daisy Duke. Probably get a Tesla for long road trips so I can sleep while driving.

I guess I would buy a bunch of Maserati's and just drive them into the ocean for fun.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Wrangler(s)...
I was thinking that too. I really don't want a 392 for trails because I have to drive 1000+ miles each way to get to Moab, and I frequently drive to Colorado at 800+ miles each way. But if I had the money to be able to drive a 392 for other times, then there would have to be 2 Jeeps in my garage.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
May be im too greedy I want a 4x4 sprinter van as well.
That would be fun. My nephew just received his brand new one and is building it. But how do you bring the Jeep along? If I go by myself then I sleep in the back of the Jeep so it substitutes for a van.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be fun. My nephew just received his brand new one and is building it. But how do you bring the Jeep along? If I go by myself then I sleep in the back of the Jeep so it substitutes for a van.
Make the Wrangler a toad. Tow a Wrangler behind the Diesel Sprinter.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree there are definitely some really crappy dealers and FCA enable them. FCA-Stallantis needs to realize dealers are their ambassadors and what they do or don't do reflect on their brand. They need to hold bad dealer accountable.

Is the steering box acting wonky now and in need of replacement? Maybe try locating a dealer that might be more mod friendly. Is traveling to another dealer a option?

The window might still be open. See if used values are still high. Back in May I was able to sell my 2.5 year old JLR for a little more than what I actually paid for it brand new. Maybe sell if values are still inflated and order a 2022 JL with the XR package from one of the dealers who are selling for 6%-7% under invoice? That way the dealer will not have any excuses for warranty.

Or dare I say it... Bronco?
The Jeep has been pulling to the right since it got the Mopar lift. I’ve had a Yeti adjustable track bar put on, a wheel alignment done, the tires rotated in an X-pattern, and replaced the steering stabilizer, but it keeps pulling. Now the dealer is latching onto some of those to refuse doing the TSB.

There is another dealer 30 miles away. I will give them a try. Hopefully they are willing to do the TSB.

I cannot in good conscience buy another Jeep. Even if I ordered a Wrangler somewhere else, not having a dealer to rely on for service and warranty work renders owning a Jeep an impossibility.

Bronco is out of the question. It is becoming increasingly clear that Ford cut too many corners bringing it to market. That vehicle is going to be riddled with problems for years to come. All the signs are already out there.

If I can hold onto this Jeep for another year or two, I’ll wait to see what Toyota does with Tacoma and 4Runner. Both are due for a redesign. Same applies to Colorado/Canyon.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
May be im too greedy I want a 4x4 sprinter van as well.
Two friends in British Columbia own Sprinter campers; one of them spent $20,000 converting it and is already regretting buying a Mercedes; the other spent $12,000 converting and is relatively happy with it, but is quickly learning its limitations.

For starters, you cannot get a locker, or even a rear LSD, on Sprinters. Mercedes offers a factory LSD in Europe, but it costs the equivalent of $35,000 to bring the parts to N.A. and have them installed. Also, the Mercedes BLD system is notorious for digging itself into a hole in loose dirt, sand and mud. Both my friends have gotten stuck in relatively mild conditions.

The fully-electronic 4WD is not very reliable, either: it will get lost shifting in and out of 4H and 4L, forcing you to have to turn off the engine completely, wait a few seconds, restart the engine and try again. So far, this has worked.

Because we rarely have issues with Jeep transfer cases, it is easy to assume that the same is true of every other automaker. Unfortunately, that’s not the case.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Jeep has been pulling to the right since it got the Mopar lift. I’ve had a Yeti adjustable track bar put on, a wheel alignment done, the tires rotated in an X-pattern, and replaced the steering stabilizer, but it keeps pulling. Now the dealer is latching onto some of those to refuse doing the TSB.

There is another dealer 30 miles away. I will give them a try. Hopefully they are willing to do the TSB.

I cannot in good conscience buy another Jeep. Even if I ordered a Wrangler somewhere else, not having a dealer to rely on for service and warranty work renders owning a Jeep an impossibility.

Bronco is out of the question. It is becoming increasingly clear that Ford cut too many corners bringing it to market. That vehicle is going to be riddled with problems for years to come. All the signs are already out there.

If I can hold onto this Jeep for another year or two, I’ll wait to see what Toyota does with Tacoma and 4Runner. Both are due for a redesign. Same applies to Colorado/Canyon.
The same dealer sold and installed your Mopar lift and it started pulling after they installed it? Did they install it correctly? It's not rocket science but I would have a qualified shop double check all of your suspension and what they did. A good 4x4 shop might be a good start. They can double check your suspension geometry. Or have the second dealer you take it to double check their work. Hopefully another dealer will perform the TSB and replace the steering box. Or is it possibly something else like maybe wheels-tires? Did it pull with the stock wheels and tires?

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
There were a couple of vehicles I was looking at for my purchase before deciding on a Jeep Wrangler coming off my last vehicle - a '06 F250 V10 w/ 4:30 gears. I liked my wife's '19 Santa Fe a lot so I was kinda geeked on getting a Genesis GV80. Liked the BMW X5, Cadillac XT5 & XT6 too. If the GV80 came out a few months earlier that would have happened. However i was tired of the constant delay - and then it happened. My wife and I rented a Wrangler Sport and we traveled to a cowboy action shooting match about 3 hours away. I rented Wranglers before, but this time it was different. My wife fell in love with it and said "You know, you look really good driving this thing - it matches you". She drove it and loved it. She was hot on us getting a GV80, but she said..."We need to look into Jeep". Well, I thought Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V8. She said, "...that's not a real Jeep....let's have some adventure, go to the dunes, go camping..." So....we saw the High Altitude and both of us got a little of what we both wanted. I have fallen in love with my Jeep since the first day driving it home from the dealership. Have driven it multiple times with the top & doors off along with a number of trips to Silver Lake Sand Dunes. It's just cool. If I had all the money in the world I honestly think I'd still choose this Jeep.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The same dealer sold and installed your Mopar lift and it started pulling after they installed it? Yes.

Did they install it correctly? Presumably.

It's not rocket science but I would have a qualified shop double check all of your suspension and what they did. A good 4x4 shop might be a good start. They can double check your suspension geometry. I took the Jeep to the best alignment shop in town. The principal owns a JLUR himself; he is intimately familiar with Jeeps. He checked everything and did his best to correct for the pull.

Or have the second dealer you take it to double check their work. Hopefully another dealer will perform the TSB and replace the steering box. Fingers crossed!

Or is it possibly something else like maybe wheels-tires? The X-pattern rotation pretty much ruled out the wheels and tires as possible cause.

Did it pull with the stock wheels and tires? No.
See my responses in red above.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I wouldn’t. Not with the dealer I got.
If money were no object, why would the dealer matter? My private mechanic would be servicing my vehicles in my 12+ car garage? The hellcat swap and Dana 80’s wouldn’t be covered by the warranty. That atlas II transfer case, long arm coilover suspension, bumpers, skids, etc would not be covered either. I guess I could try to warranty the frame if I twisted it?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What was the alignment shop's opinion for the pulling?
That as Jeeps get lifted and bigger tires added, they tend to follow the crown on the road.

I owned three lifted JKs before; didn’t have any pulling.