Sponsored

If Chinese company buys Jeep, will Wrangler be affected?

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
With news that Chinese companies are interested in buying FCA makes me think if Jeeps and Wranglers in particular might be affected?

Hopefully they'd leave well enough alone and not change up anything considering Jeep and the Wrangler is the cashcow for the company!
Sponsored

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
With news that Chinese companies are interested in buying FCA makes me think if Jeeps and Wranglers in particular might be affected?

Hopefully they'd leave well enough alone and not change up anything considering Jeep and the Wrangler is the cashcow for the company!
I'm thinking that since JL/JLU/JT engineering and product planning should already be set, this generation shouldn't really be affected?

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
FCA is already not American owned anyway. So it'll just change from Italian to Chinese owned.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Car companies make business decisions on what they think will make money. Italian, Chinese or American - does not matter.

Volvo is doing fantastic under Geely. Volvo did poorly under Ford. Countries don't matter - companies do.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
As Jeepesen mentioned, China has done well with Volvo, and they will want the companies/divisions and their models to succeed, likely even more than partnering with other US companies would.

If FCA had ended up partnering with GM, as previously seemed in the works, I could more readily see GM undermining Dodge/Jeep models/brands/lines to elevate their own traditional GM portfolio.

Would the Dodge Demon or Corvette/Camaro be the first sub 10 second car?

Improve the Compass or Cherokee, but we alread have the Equinox and Traverse, I think we'll see how they fair after the new Equinox update.

Ram refresh? Nah, Ram is going to be our discount truck brand now... etc.

Sponsored

Thau

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former KJ owner
Also, Chrysler Corporation has been bought and sold a lot over the past 15 years. In 2002 Chrysler was DaimlerChrysler. Then during the 2007-2009 recession, Chrysler was owned by an investment company (that had no business in the "car business" but didn't want to see Chrysler die.) They finally sold the company off to Fiat.

The nameplate on the pens and stationary changes from one to another but the Jeep brand has never really changed.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, Chrysler Corporation has been bought and sold a lot over the past 15 years...
Even before that in the Jeep timeline, when AMC was sold to Renault, which resulted in AMGeneral being sold-off and the Hummer no longer being associated with it's Jeep origins.

The nameplate on the pens and stationary changes from one to another but the Jeep brand has never really changed.
Well, a lot of development has come with help and support from those outside sources that has helped remake and save the brand.

Much of Renault, DB, Fiat's input has changed the brand for the better, even though some would argue counter to that. Much of the stagnation in the brand occured during the 'All-american' years, though the funky stuff from the engineers was always brilliant, just needed equal talent at the top.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AZJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
A write-up from Monday on how effective FCA's current German partner KUKA is at making Wranglers in Toledo;

http://www.engineering.com/Advanced...th-Two-Millionth-Assembled-Jeep-Wrangler.aspx

Their other current partner at the Toledo Supplier Park is Korean Mobis.

So the Wrangler is currently, and has often been far more 'International' than most people think, including the first ones being Canadian. :rock:
Very true the 1987 to 1992 Wranglers were built in Canada, and were the first Jeeps imported to the U.S, And well built too. The new Renegades are the second Jeeps to be imported.

Jim

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
What I could never understand is why Ford or GM would not try to acquire JEEP?? It is arguably the most profitable and growing line the last several years, except for the F150??

and at that point also could never understand why no other company has ever tried to make a serious competitor to the wrangler?? It really does baffle me as I"ve been on motorsports marketing for almost 40 years and this is so obvious!!:facepalm::facepalm:

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think Trump will allow it to happen. Also FCA would be idiots to sell off their most profitable division.

Thau

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former KJ owner
I dont think Trump will allow it to happen. Also FCA would be idiots to sell off their most profitable division.

But a large financial backing funds R&D, Technology Leaps and can raise the bar for all of Jeeps products. Money could infuse more small jeeps to offset the CAFE penalties for buying a ted blooded Jeep. I understand the feelings about not selling but eventually Jeep will be sold to someone. A manager is a manager no matter whos flag is flying in Auburn Hills. I dont think FCA will last forever since Chrysler is really a smaller sized car company that needs money to fund Fuel Efficiency efforts and Higher tech materials to reduce weights

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The French have owned Jeep (Renault), the Germans have owned it (Daimler), why not the Chinese ? WW2 Allies, most of the parts are "Made in China" as it is.
Against the sale - Jeep is the most profitable division, 10 year production runs, not contingent on expensive sheet metal styling changes. Why would Fiat let that go.
Sponsored