Sponsored

If a dealer has an allocation - then how long does it take to get a 392?

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Dealers that do not have an allocation seem to say it is about 100 days, Dealers that have an allocation say it is about 100 days, so I am confused about the lead time?

Is it better to go with a dealer that has an open allocation "not really sure what that means with Jeep"

(Or is it better) to go with a high volume dealer that gets a lot of jeeps and can place an order?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Dealers that do not have an allocation seem to say it is about 100 days, Dealers that have an allocation say it is about 100 days, so I am confused about the lead time?

Is it better to go with a dealer that has an open allocation "not really sure what that means with Jeep"

(Or is it better) to go with a high volume dealer that gets a lot of jeeps and can place an order?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help!
A dealer needs an allocation to order a vehicle, whether it be for inventory or a customer sale order. So either way, the vehicle needs to be built and then delivered and the timeline is essentially the same.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
A dealer needs an allocation to order a vehicle, whether it be for inventory or a customer sale order. So either way, the vehicle needs to be built and then delivered and the timeline is essentially the same.
To get scheduled, not ordered. They can order it ( sold order ) without an allocation and will even get a VIN. Doesn’t mean it goes to D1, though. It may sit in D until it gets cancelled. Time will tell if orders without allocations get built. No guarantees though Peterson seems to think it’ll get built.

I originally thought if the order gets picked up from BA status and goes to D and gets a VIN, it must be built before end of the model year. But apparently they can just cancel the order even once a VIN is assigned.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
To get scheduled, not ordered. They can order it ( sold order ) without an allocation and will even get a VIN. Doesn’t mean it goes to D1, though. It may sit in D until it gets cancelled. Time will tell if orders without allocations get built. No guarantees though Peterson seems to think it’ll get built.

I originally thought if the order gets picked up from BA status and goes to D and gets a VIN, it must be built before end of the model year. But apparently they can just cancel the order even once a VIN is assigned.
Peterson and the dealer in MD are the only 2 in the country with unlimited allocations.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peterson and the dealer in MD are the only 2 in the country with unlimited allocations.
I see. That's very interesting. What's the dealer name in MD?

Also, I'm still under the impression that just because it gets VIN'd (D), doesn't mean it actually gets built (D1-- scheduled). I guess in Peterson's case maybe it does, and the dealer in MD you're mentioning.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I had ordered and placed a deposit on my 2021 392 Rubicon in Firecracker red from
Team Welsh Jeep in Far Hills NJ. No markup and no discounts either straight sticker price
The options that I chose were the:
Towing package
Headliner insulation kit (Money well spent, I had a HotHeads in my JL and Rubicon and loved it)
Front trail cam
Dealer calibration for tire size
315/70/17`S Put on right at the dealer
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra to the paint and wheels
Ace Engineering rocker guards/side steps

I had placed my order on 2/13/21 and it had arrived on 6/5/21

Now my mind is gotten filled with visions of the 392 Recon Rubicon package....

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I see. That's very interesting. What's the dealer name in MD?

Also, I'm still under the impression that just because it gets VIN'd (D), doesn't mean it actually gets built (D1-- scheduled). I guess in Peterson's case maybe it does, and the dealer in MD you're mentioning.
I don't recall the dealer name in MD.

Has anyone actually been dumped after getting a VIN?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't recall the dealer name in MD.

Has anyone actually been dumped after getting a VIN?
Not sure but I have a VIN with a dealer that is out of allocations. Hopeful it will get to D1 as a smoking deal. Way better than Peterson.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Not sure but I have a VIN with a dealer that is out of allocations. Hopeful it will get to D1 as a smoking deal. Way better than Peterson.
You and me both. I assume mine will be a bit because XR package added. I am in no rush.
Seems like my life is the game of deposits and wait lately lol.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and me both. I assume mine will be a bit because XR package added. I am in no rush.
Seems like my life is the game of deposits and wait lately lol.
For real… I added the XR on mine as well. I think MSRP was $87,500 ish.

Sponsored

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL; 392 on order
My dealer didn't have any allocations left when I ordered my 392 on May 19th. Got my VIN and VON within a couple of days. Just got my build sheet on July 23rd. Waiting on my window sticker. Built ready for inspection and shipping.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer didn't have any allocations left when I ordered my 392 on May 19th. Got my VIN and VON within a couple of days. Just got my build sheet on July 23rd. Waiting on my window sticker. Built ready for inspection and shipping.
I read that as: we won’t turn down money

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL; 392 on order
I read that as: we won’t turn down money
I agree. That is why I encourage folks not to pay over MSRP. I believe as long as the Feds are willing and folks are lining up to pay over $75k for a Jeep, they will build as many as they can.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. That is why I encourage folks not to pay over MSRP. I believe as long as the Feds are willing and folks are lining up to pay over $75k for a Jeep, they will build as many as they can.
Yep and if really true they will do that and not turn down sold orders irrespective of allocation availability— we all should be paying at worse, 1% under invoice.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
So if I want to pay a little more so I can have said unit, I should just follow said protocol and adhere to a strict cost guideline and not purchase??? On the flip side, if someone comes up and offers me $15K more for my 392 (if I was selling it) than I paid for it I am supposed to refuse it???

I understand the theory behind the thought process of avoiding higher costs, but it isn't going to ever happen. Always going to be someone out there willing to pay more. And someone willing to charge more. It's called capitalism.

Sam
Sponsored