Sponsored

Idling all night with the A/C on to sleep in the Jeep?

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I'd suggest you trying it in your garage for a couple of nights first.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

Attachments

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Holy shit. I bet y'all think the Earth is flat too.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
There wouldn’t be low oil pressure at idle and IMHO would it cause undo wear. Thousands of police cars, for example, idle for hours every shift.
I NEVER turned mine off for my 12-16 hour shift...

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Are you out of your mind? Not only would that cause a ton of wear due to low oil pressure at idle, it would be environmental disaster that would wake up other campers and potentially cause you to run out of gas before you get back to the trailhead. How about stay at a motel if you want AC, or wheel your Jeep to a higher cooler elevation - its a jeep after all.
That there is funny.
I idle my jeep every day all day six days a week, lately 7 days 12 hours a day. I serves as my office, my nap area, an emergency cool down area for anyone that may have heat exhaustion because of the extreme heat of the west Texas desert. I change my oil every 3000 miles and at 25000 miles my jeep runs perfect and uses no oil. The cabin of the jeep has a positive pressure as long as the ac/heater fan is running, the air is drawn from the area by the windshield wipers. No carbon dioxide worries.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
5 hours and less than a 1/10'th of the tank (the gauge didn't fully consume one of the 1/8th bars we have), I'd guess, from my unscientific experiment, that you could idle well over 24 hrs on a full tank.
That’s good to know. At least some real life testing. I appreciate the feedback! And yes, that was a scientific explanation. I was wrong. There I said it!

Reactions: baz

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Holy shit, you could positively drown in the sanctimony in this thread. You’d think the OP suggested converting his jeep to run on baby tears and bald eagle feathers.
Well, bald eagle feathers are illegal to own, unless you are Native American, but baby tears are plentiful. As are the tears of people getting bent out of shape because they have a difference of opinion from the last guy. Ease up guys!!

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Ah, the full-on, unapologetic totalitarian statist view. I wonder, Sir, should we who disagree with you be allowed to live?
"Secondly, a person who thinks it is reasonable to idle a car all night whilst sleeping (or otherwise) in order to be more comfortable is a person who should not have a drivers license let alone a Jeep, given their clear lack of common sense."

I dont understand this. I had no clue it was such a huge "violation" to sleep in your running vehicle. Ive gone to truck stops before, Im pretty sure those things are running all night long. Dont they even have a small room in the back? Are they built differently where CO would never enter the cabin?

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Gary, I can't speak for others but my point--maybe unclear was this. I have less patience to hear people's complaints over situations that arose as a result of their own decisions than that fate handed to them--including the one to own a pet.

I pay more (and accept the need) to keep my Pet boarded when away than my parents did on vacation

....choices, obligations, responsibilities..... : - )
But OP was never complaining. He only mentioned his pet after he was being attacked and very briefly. This happened, this was the situation, this is what I did. Problem solved for the night.

My basset hound loves going out on walks but during the summer he will only go about 1/4 of mile before plopping down and not wanting to walk in the FL heat anymore. Regardless of how much water I give him. What do you suggest I do? Buy him a dog treadmill to walk indoors in the AC instead? Not walk him at all?

Granted, i know you cant take your pet with you all the time, but if youre paying to board your pet when youre going away..arent you suggesting you made bad choices and are now neglecting your obligations and responsibilities? OP took a trip and wanted to bring his best pal with him. He made a choice and he kept his obligation and responsibility to keep his pet safe and comfortable as well as himself.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
"Secondly, a person who thinks it is reasonable to idle a car all night whilst sleeping (or otherwise) in order to be more comfortable is a person who should not have a drivers license let alone a Jeep, given their clear lack of common sense."

I dont understand this. I had no clue it was such a huge "violation" to sleep in your running vehicle. Ive gone to truck stops before, Im pretty sure those things are running all night long. Dont they even have a small room in the back? Are they built differently where CO would never enter the cabin?

I agree, Noloc. The first reply out of the gate began:

“Are you out of your mind?”

Nice tonesetter for the thread...

Ask a simple question, get ridiculed.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Are you out of your mind? Not only would that cause a ton of wear due to low oil pressure at idle, it would be environmental disaster that would wake up other campers and potentially cause you to run out of gas before you get back to the trailhead. How about stay at a motel if you want AC, or wheel your Jeep to a higher cooler elevation - its a jeep after all.
Nothing you said is true.

Ton of wear? The cop car replies disprove that.

Environmental disaster? Get a grip. Do you speak in such hyperbole all the time, or just anonymously online?

Wake up other campers? Believe it or not, some of us camp away from other people. That’s part of why we have Jeeps.

Get a motel? Really? Not even worthy of comment.

Wheel to higher elevation? So if I’m wheeling in say, Florida, I can just run up to Colorado to camp, right?

My Lord.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Well, bald eagle feathers are illegal to own, unless you are Native American, but baby tears are plentiful. As are the tears of people getting bent out of shape because they have a difference of opinion from the last guy. Ease up guys!!
Your thoughts on fuel consumption were not a “difference of opinion”.

You admittedly didn’t know what the Hell you were talking about, but said stupid, untrue things as if you did.

And you said them with a gleeful attitude of superiority, as if only a fool would not see that you were right.

There is a difference, but it is not of opinion.
Sponsored

Last edited: