Sponsored

Idling all night with the A/C on to sleep in the Jeep?

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
achya or nicht-nicht?
The only place I would camp out with my AC on in the JEEP is in a gas station. You will run out of gas before you wake up, if you wake up (Carbon monoxide)......... Have you seen how when you are idling how your gas gauge slowly sinks into oblivion?
Sponsored

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
The only place I would camp out with my AC on in the JEEP is in a gas station. You will run out of gas before you wake up, if you wake up (Carbon monoxide)......... Have you seen how when you are idling how your gas gauge slowly sinks into oblivion?
5 hours and less than a 1/10'th of the tank (the gauge didn't fully consume one of the 1/8th bars we have), I'd guess, from my unscientific experiment, that you could idle well over 24 hrs on a full tank.

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Can someone please shed light on the carbon monoxide risk - how can you get poisoned outdoors, with the exhaust going out towards the back?
how could you get it indoor then, you would die from co2 poisonning.
many accident of co is outdoor and sleep, with leaked pipelines , certain wind direction and blockage on pipe cause co to seap through.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
There wouldn’t be low oil pressure at idle and IMHO would it cause undo wear. Thousands of police cars, for example, idle for hours every shift.
Yep. Mine idles for probably 6-8 hours a day. All those crown Vic’s used to idle all day, most of them idling 12-16 hours a day because they are shared between two shifts. They ran like that for 100k miles then got sold to a taxi company and ran another 200k miles. Most of our patrol cars for the last few years have ran a Chevrolet 6.0 motor. All the undoing time and there is no difference in performance until you get to about 70k miles. And 70k hard miles. That is 70k miles of wide open throttle with way more actual engine hours than any normal car because of the idling.

If you are concerned about carbon monoxide in any vehicle, install an alarm. We have them in every Ford Explorer patrol car we have in the fleet.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Done it. Not overnight, but for several hours in the heat of late afternoon, while wheeling and camping in the hot desert.
Amazingly, the world still turns, my Jeep still runs, I’m still breathing, and I stayed nice and cool.
Surprisingly little fuel consumed too.
All good.
It’s a shame how many post here without the faintest notion what they’re talking about.

Last edited:

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Done it. Not overnight, but for several hours in the heat of late afternoon, while wheeling and camping in the hot desert.
Amazingly, the world still turns, my Jeep still runs, and I stayed nice and cool.
Surprisingly little fuel consumed too.
All good.
It’s a shame how many post here without the faintest notion whereof they speak.
Ive never done it that long but I have done it on lunch breaks for 1-1.5hrs.

But as my previous post before stated, if it seems like that big of a deal and these crazy "leaks" back into the cabin do happen, I think audible CO alarms should be standard in a car then.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
This thread is "dead".

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
This thread is "dead".
And you can make a gratuitous proclamation, but it doesn’t make it so.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Y'all got me paranoid now. I sit in my Jeep everyday with the AC running on my lunch break plus I like to camp in the back while sometimes leaving the heater/AC on. Looks like ill be picking up one of these and mounting it to my roll bar

https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Protect...ctor+battery&qid=1563827073&s=gateway&sr=8-11
My question about that one is how good is it for vehicular use, where it is subject to a lot of vibration, temperature variations, etc. I would think that one of the general aviation geared options might be a better option for motor vehicle use.

Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Just keep sleeping in your vehicle with the engine running and you will eliminate yourself from the gene pool thus making the likelihood of questions like this less likely.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Firstly, in nearly all states it is illegal to "idle" your car. You can see which states here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/CompilationofStateIdlingRegulations.pdf

Secondly, a person who thinks it is reasonable to idle a car all night whilst sleeping (or otherwise) in order to be more comfortable is a person who should not have a drivers license let alone a Jeep, given their clear lack of common sense.
Ah, the full-on, unapologetic totalitarian statist view. I wonder, Sir, should we who disagree with you be allowed to live?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This is complete BS. Dont get a pet because why? People here on the forums are saying dont idle at night to keep the AC on for the owner and pet? Because the pet should have its own personal pet friendly "RV" to travel in? Get real
Gary, I can't speak for others but my point--maybe unclear was this. I have less patience to hear people's complaints over situations that arose as a result of their own decisions than that fate handed to them--including the one to own a pet.

I pay more (and accept the need) to keep my Pet boarded when away than my parents did on vacation

....choices, obligations, responsibilities..... : - )

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yep. Mine idles for probably 6-8 hours a day. All those crown Vic’s used to idle all day, most of them idling 12-16 hours a day because they are shared between two shifts. They ran like that for 100k miles then got sold to a taxi company and ran another 200k miles. Most of our patrol cars for the last few years have ran a Chevrolet 6.0 motor. All the undoing time and there is no difference in performance until you get to about 70k miles. And 70k hard miles. That is 70k miles of wide open throttle with way more actual engine hours than any normal car because of the idling.

If you are concerned about carbon monoxide in any vehicle, install an alarm. We have them in every Ford Explorer patrol car we have in the fleet.
Why the Ford Explorer's Brian...do they come with the detector....do they have a history of needing it more...? Curious...