Sponsored

Idling all night with the A/C on to sleep in the Jeep?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
He did this FOR THE SUFFERING DOG, dogs can get heat stroke very easily, so only in emergency situation, where exhaust is clear of tall weeds, anything that could block or restrict exhaust flow away from the vehicle...
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How can you get poisoning outdoors with the exhaust in the back?
if the exhaust system develops flaws....

if that's not a good enough explanation then your desire for a more glamping experience--which I respect--is best done through other means as already discussed, for other reasons.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
He did this FOR THE SUFFERING DOG, dogs can get heat stroke very easily, so only in emergency situation, where exhaust is clear of tall weeds, anything that could block or restrict exhaust flow away from the vehicle...
Fair point, as is leaving the animal at home, not having an animal or best, choosing another method of pet friendly lodging.

I'm not saying the OP is one of them, but some of the greatest lovers of animals don't own one (or let you adopt one) because they recognize that aspects of their life choices or fate don't make such ownership likely to work out well.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Sleeping in cars/ vehicles while they’re running overnight is a lot more common then maybe people think or want to admit. if you do any cross country traveling you’ll see a lot. Also here in the homeless capital Los Angeles people / family’s are living in their cars running AC all night /day nobody’s dying. If people were dying the Liberals would be going nuts and making sure to either stop the cars from running or something , believe me there’s no issue sleeping in a running car.
This is a fair observation--it really is. In the future though we can presume the OP will have choice some of those you sight above may not have, at least practically speaking.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Fair point, as is leaving the animal at home, not having an animal or best, choosing another method of pet friendly lodging.

I'm not saying the OP is one of them, but some of the greatest lovers of animals don't own one (or let you adopt one) because they recognize that aspects of their life choices or fate don't make such ownership likely to work out well.
This is complete BS. Dont get a pet because why? People here on the forums are saying dont idle at night to keep the AC on for the owner and pet? Because the pet should have its own personal pet friendly "RV" to travel in? Get real

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So, Berkeley says that's ok but they ban natural gas? I've only turned my vehicle on then off while sleeping in it. When I was in HS, we had a BF/GF die in their car over night. It was cold and they pulled over to make out and left the car running. Later that morning, a farmer saw the running car and what appeared to be 2 sleeping people that he couldn't wake up. Yep, they died from CO poisoning.
Thats crazy. But from what Im gathering in this entire thread is that we shouldnt drive vehicles period? OP was sleeping. In your example the couple were completely awake and moving around making out. They still died. Whats to prevent poisoning from happening mid route on a hot Florida highway when you have the windows up and AC on full blast?

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
OP, if you’re going to do this regularly you should get an audible CO alarm. Here are some examples:

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/catalogsearch/result/?q=Carbon+monoxide
After reading all of these posts and doing a little googling it seems this is the best answer.

It seems that regardless of camping inside your jeep with the engine idling or just driving down the highway for a long trip, if CO is leaking into the cabin youre going to die anyway. Best to have a audible CO detector. Maybe this should be something common built in cars.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thats crazy. But from what Im gathering in this entire thread is that we shouldnt drive vehicles period? OP was sleeping. In your example the couple were completely awake and moving around making out. They still died. Whats to prevent poisoning from happening mid route on a hot Florida highway when you have the windows up and AC on full blast?
They were parked. My assumption is if they were moving, the CO may not have built up. But who knows.
Technically, CO is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas. The only real symptom may be a dull headache. So, you probably wouldn't really know you were being poisoned until shit is really bad. This was always my argument in the Army when the CO and 1SG wanted someone to stay up all night when we ran our potbelly stoves to do fire watch and the carbon monoxide poisoning watch:giggle:. I was dismissed everytime. But guess who got a full night's sleep:like:. O yeah those $9 smoke&CO detectors at the PX are also great for that agreement too:angel:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Are you out of your mind? Not only would that cause a ton of wear due to low oil pressure at idle, it would be environmental disaster that would wake up other campers and potentially cause you to run out of gas before you get back to the trailhead. How about stay at a motel if you want AC, or wheel your Jeep to a higher cooler elevation - its a jeep after all.
facepalm-head.jpg

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
After reading all of these posts and doing a little googling it seems this is the best answer.

It seems that regardless of camping inside your jeep with the engine idling or just driving down the highway for a long trip, if CO is leaking into the cabin youre going to die anyway. Best to have a audible CO detector. Maybe this should be something common built in cars.
For use while driving on a long trip, one of the cheap non audible non electronic ones is probably fine as long as it’s in a clearly visible place and it’s part of your instrument scan, since you’re awake and hopefully alert anyway. Although I wouldn’t worry about it in a newer moving vehicle.

For running the engine while everyone is sleeping and the vehicle is parked I’d spend the money on the audible kind.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just make sure there is good ventilation ... not under a tree or covered patio.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If it’s a real thing and not fake news , post links to all the deaths of people dying in their cars from sleeping / napping / living in there cars.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

It's common to have them on board small aircraft; a car would also make sense.....
Sponsored