Sponsored

Idling all night with the A/C on to sleep in the Jeep?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Reading from the NHTSA report linked in the article:
"To date, no substantive data or actual evidence (such as a carboxyhemoglobin measurement) has been obtained supporting a claim that any of the alleged injury or crash allegations were the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the alleged hazard."
And zero fatalities among 1.3M vehicles over 7 model years. They smelled sulfur, not CO, and it made them queasy.

In regards to the incident with our neighboring agency, the coroners report which was just recently released advised of high levels of carbon monoxide in both the deputy and the civilian employee riding with him.

Point being, this was a real incident that occurred. Nhtsa probably hasn’t even acknowledged the report yet because it was just recently completed.

Carbon monoxide is a real danger. If you would like to have your personal beliefs, then great, but I’m a fact driven individual.
Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
In regards to the incident with our neighboring agency, the coroners report which was just recently released advised of high levels of carbon monoxide in both the deputy and the civilian employee riding with him.

Point being, this was a real incident that occurred. Nhtsa probably hasn’t even acknowledged the report yet because it was just recently completed.

Carbon monoxide is a real danger. If you would like to have your personal beliefs, then great, but I’m a fact driven individual.
Citation?

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer

If you're brave enough and want what's coming to you...go ahead. Let's thin this herd!!!

Last edited:

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
At the donut shop
Citation?
https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article230186059.html

The quotes regarding pathologists opinion is highly unprofessional and subjective. A professional even went as far as saying that carbon monoxide poisoning would be more likely to slow a person down instead of speeding them up. When you are in a vehicle and have your foot on the accelerator, anything is possible and many would argue that if a person is suffering from a medical emergency in a moving vehicle they may lose control. The elevated levels of carbon monoxide shown in the toxicology of both of this particular vehicles occupants is concerning. As I stated before, regardless of the cause whether it be the manufacturer or an outfitter drilling holes for wiring, this is a very real concern. As a former outfitter if emergency vehicles myself, as well as a car stereo installer, I would argue that my patrol vehicle is just as sealed to exhaust elements as my JL.

That being said, I mentioned my fellow brother as an attempt to raise awareness in this discussion. It has gone a different direction all together. With that, we will cease this discussion out of respect for our fallen hero.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
FWIW this is from of 508 of the current online manual:

Carbon monoxide (CO) in exhaust gases is deadly. Follow the precautions below to prevent carbon mon- oxide poisoning:
• Do not inhale exhaust gases. They contain carbon
monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas, which can kill. Never run the engine in a closed area, such as a garage, and never sit in a parked vehicle with the engine running for an extended period. If the vehicle is stopped in an open area with the engine running for more than a short period, adjust the ventilation system to force fresh, outside air into the vehicle.
• Guard against carbon monoxide with proper main- tenance. Have the exhaust system inspected every time the vehicle is raised. Have any abnormal condi- tions repaired promptly. Until repaired, drive with all side windows fully open.

Reactions: baz

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Can someone please shed light on the carbon monoxide risk - how can you get poisoned outdoors, with the exhaust going out towards the back?
Realistically you won’t be poisoned, if there is some how a leak into the car then there is a risk. Even in an enclosed space your cat does a decent job and the CO emissions aren’t that bad, maybe you’d feel like shit the next day but you’d have less CO bound to hemoglobin than your average smoker. The nitric oxide emissions aren’t good for you either, turns to nitric acid when mixing with water. The risk of death is serious with older vehicles and possible with a bad cat or some kind of puncture or other exhaust leak. Why risk it? That being said I’ve taken naps between classes running the a/c in cars.
Sponsored