Sponsored

Ideas on mounting the GoPro outside the Jeep.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Going to be in a 3 day Rally with my best friend. I normally mount my GoPro inside the Jeep but I don't want to have to watch what I say for three whole days. I'd like to mount it outside so it records the audio of the Jeep but not conversations.

The immediate problem I can think of is it overheating and shutting off in direct sunlight. How do I keep it cool? I guess the other problem would be dust/dirt getting on the lens.

Thoughts and ideas please?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Lol "watch what I say".... :rock:

Hmm, I don't know, but can you just mute it while recording? Sorry, I've never messed around with a gopro so I'm just throwing stuff out:like:

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I mounted mine to the driver side freedom panel on the hard top as close to center as possible. Just hit it with some alcohol wipes and stuck it to it. Held nicely and gave a decent perspective. Just watch out for those low bridges. For surfaces that don’t stick so well I’d look toward zip ties.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I mounted mine to the driver side freedom panel on the hard top as close to center as possible. Just hit it with some alcohol wipes and stuck it to it. Held nicely and gave a decent perspective. Just watch out for those low bridges. For surfaces that don’t stick so well I’d look toward zip ties.
How many hours on was it? I'll have mine recording from morning till night. Also what GoPro do you have?

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What kind of batteries do you have that'll last morning to night? Or have GoPros really gotten that much better? Mine died doing a time-lapse from Phoenix to Flagstaff (2 hours)
I'll string a power cable to wherever I end up mounting it. My GoPro barely lasts 20 minutes on battery power.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I've had my GoPro in the waterproof case, during FL's summers, in the sun, only taking it out to swap batteries, and it has held up. The rear LCD might start flickering and it will be so hot you cannot hold onto it, but it keeps going lol.

I usually suction it to windows or clamp to tow hooks.

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
You could string an external mic and route it outside away from you. Even if you mount the GoPro outside, the sound quality kinda sucks. Especially in the waterproof case.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You could string an external mic and route it outside away from you. Even if you mount the GoPro outside, the sound quality kinda sucks. Especially in the waterproof case.
The problem is on my Hero 4 Silver, the mic port uses the USB port which is also how I plug it in to power. Do newer GoPros have dedicated mic ports?

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
The problem is on my Hero 4 Silver, the mic port uses the USB port which is also how I plug it in to power. Do newer GoPros have dedicated mic ports?
I'm not sure. I have a 4. Unless you keep a spare charging at all times or use your phone+mic to record sound.. It's been a while since Ive used that.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Just bleep the f***ing audio! Haha

Sponsored

MEGAS

First Name
Megas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Edit in a sound track and only include audio clips you want. No one wants to hear chat or engine sounds for the whole vid

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Edit in a sound track and only include audio clips you want. No one wants to hear chat or engine sounds for the whole vid
I publish what I prefer, and that's the sound of the Jeep. Music in Jeep videos is just awful.

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How many hours on was it? I'll have mine recording from morning till night. Also what GoPro do you have?
I think your limiting factor is battery. I have a 128GB card and at 1080p60 it says I can get 8hrs40m. I still had about 1/4 battery after a couple hours. I’m using a Apeman Trawo. Love the GoPros but man that’s a lot of dough and I’d be worried about breaking it or losing it. Apeman does a good enough job for what I need for $100. Has EIS and will record at 4k30. My video was recorded at 1080p60.

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I mounted mine behind the rearview mirror using a sticky mount that came with the camera. It's out of the way and has a great/wide view of out the front.

GPMOUNT.jpg
Sponsored