Sponsored

Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN?

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Carrier Pigeon...seriously though, didn't you think about this BEFORE you bought it?
Seems like the solutions are pretty simple as well and you just have to pick one.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@191185 I think you need to provide a few more variables.

Are the three of you planning on flying down there, or renting a vehicle one-way? How much time do you have allotted? Hotels along the way?

If flying, you still might need to rent a vehicle to be able to go out and purchase the previously recommended trailers or hitch trays. Or get the jeep first and drive around collecting parts.

If buying a new tray, you'll need (minimal) tools and time to assemble, if a trailer, a drop-hitch and chains, and time for some test runs, and tarps and tie-downs for either.

Getting, and setting these up will probably take half a day. During this time, consider what your family will be doing. Helping? Sightseeing? (They'd need transportation) Twiddling their thumbs?

You'll probably (unfortunately) need to take the jeep to a local dealer at some point anyway. Maybe you can get Jeep to deliver the doors to one that you've vetted.

The tops and doors aren't necessarily shipped together. When I ordered mine, I got the dual top. The softtop arrived some time after I picked up the jeep. Try to get your local dealer to help persuade them to ship there instead. Some dealers don't mind as much losing the sale; they want your maintenance and parts money.

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Guys I got it solved. I'm good. Thanks for the help.

Getting a shipping quote for the entire jeep, if the quote is way more than renting a truck one way then I will borrow my friends 6.6x10ft open utility trailer and do that.

OR .. . .. Can't I just buy 4 of these, open the boxes and put the doors inside? Surely the doors in cases would all fit in the trunk and one half of the back seat ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? 1633023753360

Sponsored

cmdonnell

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini SE, Jeep Wrangler
I think people might be over glamorizing the road trip aspect of this venture. I do a lot of travel with my family and I've been trying to get my kid to all 50 states (he's 8 and has been to 37 at this point). As such there's a lot of flying to one state and driving to another and flying home from there.

As a general rule I'd say if you want to 'see' a city you need to try to keep the travel to that city at about 3 hours. If you just want to sleep in a city and maybe stop at a few quick (like 2 1 hr stops apart from lunch) things along the way you're looking at keeping a drive to 6 hours a day. If you just want to drive straight and essentially see nothing ex on I still find going over 10 hours of driving is about the limit.

So really to be in that 'fun' zone or for it to resemble a vacation you need to be in the 3 hours a day bracket for most of the trip. So now you've got a hotel for the family for at least 1 night, but I'd say at least 3 to do it right. If you bought a car that someone was able to discount by $10,000 then you probably don't spend the night at fleabag motels (or sleep at truck stops like someone else was talking about in another thread).

Additionally, the ideal route (at least assuming you're near Minneapolis) probably has you going through places like Bloomington, Rockford and Madison. Depending on how recently you've been through Illinois and Wisconsin you might rather go through Chicago and Milwaukee - perhaps Louisville and Indianapolis if you wanted to extend things further off the ideal route.

So to make it into something actually fun it's just exploding all of the other logistics. Work, school, etc.

I did once do a drive from a friend's house in Atlanta to my place in Jersey to get our old video game collection to my place. I did that with my kid and we did the 13 hours over two days. It was definitely not some glamorous roadtrip where we 'saw the world'. We had breakfast in Mt. Airy, took some pictures at the star in Roanoke and stopped in Hershey's Chocolate World for the tour ride (which we'd been on before) all . We were fine in the trip, but it was too much driving in too little time. I good bonding experience, I guess. But bonding would have been better on a slower trip!

I'd say get the car shipped and go take a vacation wherever you want!

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
This is why I am planning to trailer our new Jeep how from Gupton to eastern Iowa. I can run down and back for ~300 in fuel, and I already have the truck and trailer. I think the ones who say "have it transported" are on target. If you need someone, I know a hotshot guy here in Iowa that would probably do it for you. If you have a tow vehicle, you could also get a uhaul car hauler one way for the Jeep.
Came here to say exactly this. He’s dead-set on shipping them. Was just looking for validation.
After starting this thread, and now understanding that they are in a box, but the box is not packaged in such a way, that its meant for being shipped as is, I have no intention of shipping them, anymore.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Perhaps the saddest part of this entire thread is that it seems almost unanimous that a "common carrier" will more than likely damage, if not destroy completely, the doors. Yet we, the "customer" (who they preach and preach they value so much!) can do little, if anything about it. Let's face it, those common carriers are NOT getting "punished" anywhere NEAR as bad as they should be, if it's intended to get their attention at all ! Let's say if the carrier damages a $4000 set of doors, they pay the customer a minimum of $8000 and they are responsible for "re-doing the order"........... in preparing for my new Jeep I have received 3 large boxes, 2 of them came completely ripped to pieces and taped back together, and the third came with a hole ripped out of the side and merchandise hanging out the side................. SO, once again, UPS, FedEx, USPS Etc., tell me how MUCH we, the customer, mean to you.............. I love hearing the lie over and over again.
You, the customer, need to get a little smarter about shipping/receiving.
Google Carmack Amendment. Everything you need to know is in there and it's in pretty plain english.
Unless goods travel by water, everything that gets shipped is done so on either a bill of lading or an airway bill. Both are known as a contract of carriage. Most couriers use an airway bill.
Key to the whole process is the value of the goods. Most bills of lading will limit the carrier's liability to $2.00 per pound unless the shipper indicates a declared value. However, indicating a declared value will increase the cost of shipping, usually significantly.
Most shippers, especially those that ship parts and such (courier type goods), simply send the goods on the bill of lading/airway bill as is ... no declared value.
As the receiver of the goods you are required by law to accept them. It is in your best interest to inspect the goods thoroughly before signing the bill of lading/airway bill. Note the condition and any discrepancies on the bill of lading/airway bill. Take pictures and try and get the carrier's equipment or driver in a picture or two.
The claims process is a separate transaction from that of the transportation act, and it is a lengthy process as the carrier has a considerable amount of time within which to deal with claims. However, it is a fair and just system if you follow the rules.
Without reading all of this thread I am sure somebody told you to just not accept the goods. That's a great idea if you like burning piles of money just for the hell of it.
Accept the goods (there are serious consequences to not accepting the goods) and open a claim with the shipper. The shipper can then deal with the carrier since it was likely the shipper that hired the carrier. Document everything.
You may think you have no recourse with the shipper since you paid for the goods with your Visa card. In that, you would be wrong. Call Visa and tell them your issue. They have people to help with those sorts of transactions. The last thing a vendor wants/needs is to be on Visa's shit list.
As for how much you mean to UPS/FedEx/USPS ... the truth is nothing. You're not paying for the shipping. The shipment was (most likely) done without a declared value. All said and done, whatever the outcome of the transaction, it's a win/win for the carrier.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Guys I got it solved. I'm good. Thanks for the help.

Getting a shipping quote for the entire jeep, if the quote is way more than renting a truck one way then I will borrow my friends 6.6x10ft open utility trailer and do that.

OR .. . .. Can't I just buy 4 of these, open the boxes and put the doors inside? Surely the doors in cases would all fit in the trunk and one half of the back seat ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? 1633023753360
Great for home storage but wont do much to stop a dent. If they get crammed together or crawled over by an 80lb kid that bag wont prevent damage.

Jeeper1941

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? 0B711780-2AB9-4388-BA6E-98FEA2E1BBB9

you can make one of these(fairly cheap and easy to do with pvc) and stack the doors in the cargo area of the jeep (I’ve done it with my jku half doors) as for the uppers well now you’ll have a lot of free area so you can stick them around the doors(or on top) in the caro area or maybe taking up 1 or 2 seats of the second row and like that you and your family are not crammed up.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Even flying there solo and driving back sounds like a pain, with the drivers seat forced forward. I'm 6'2.
That reminds me of the time I went to the home improvement store for a bunch of lumber for a project. I had a 1987 Olds Calais as my only mode of transportation. I managed to cram everything in the car in one trip, but I had to slide my seat all the way forward, and unhinge the seat back, so it would lay forward. I was basically driving with my knees up against the dash, with my forehead touching the windshield.

I rounded the corner and turned down my street.

Road block!

Well crap. The only thing worse than riding through a sobriety check like that was to be seen obviously avoiding a sobriety check, so I just went through it. I somehow managed to fish my arm around some lumber and contort myself far enough to extract my registration, and fished my license out of my pocket.

"Mr. McIntyre? What the hell is wrong with you, son?"

Uh.... :blush:

She let me off with a warning. Whew!

JMRM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander
I agree with a small trailer and towing. For those mentioning break in, is this any different then if someone from out of state shows up for delivery and him and his four buddies along for the road trip weigh a combined 1,500lbs? It’s not like he’s immediately towing a 3,500 boat.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
I think people might be over glamorizing the road trip aspect of this venture. I do a lot of travel with my family and I've been trying to get my kid to all 50 states (he's 8 and has been to 37 at this point). As such there's a lot of flying to one state and driving to another and flying home from there.

As a general rule I'd say if you want to 'see' a city you need to try to keep the travel to that city at about 3 hours. If you just want to sleep in a city and maybe stop at a few quick (like 2 1 hr stops apart from lunch) things along the way you're looking at keeping a drive to 6 hours a day. If you just want to drive straight and essentially see nothing ex on I still find going over 10 hours of driving is about the limit.

So really to be in that 'fun' zone or for it to resemble a vacation you need to be in the 3 hours a day bracket for most of the trip. So now you've got a hotel for the family for at least 1 night, but I'd say at least 3 to do it right. If you bought a car that someone was able to discount by $10,000 then you probably don't spend the night at fleabag motels (or sleep at truck stops like someone else was talking about in another thread).

Additionally, the ideal route (at least assuming you're near Minneapolis) probably has you going through places like Bloomington, Rockford and Madison. Depending on how recently you've been through Illinois and Wisconsin you might rather go through Chicago and Milwaukee - perhaps Louisville and Indianapolis if you wanted to extend things further off the ideal route.

So to make it into something actually fun it's just exploding all of the other logistics. Work, school, etc.

I did once do a drive from a friend's house in Atlanta to my place in Jersey to get our old video game collection to my place. I did that with my kid and we did the 13 hours over two days. It was definitely not some glamorous roadtrip where we 'saw the world'. We had breakfast in Mt. Airy, took some pictures at the star in Roanoke and stopped in Hershey's Chocolate World for the tour ride (which we'd been on before) all . We were fine in the trip, but it was too much driving in too little time. I good bonding experience, I guess. But bonding would have been better on a slower trip!

I'd say get the car shipped and go take a vacation wherever you want!
This is a really good thoughtful post.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
@191185 I think you need to provide a few more variables.

Are the three of you planning on flying down there, or renting a vehicle one-way? How much time do you have allotted? Hotels along the way?

If flying, you still might need to rent a vehicle to be able to go out and purchase the previously recommended trailers or hitch trays. Or get the jeep first and drive around collecting parts.

If buying a new tray, you'll need (minimal) tools and time to assemble, if a trailer, a drop-hitch and chains, and time for some test runs, and tarps and tie-downs for either.

Getting, and setting these up will probably take half a day. During this time, consider what your family will be doing. Helping? Sightseeing? (They'd need transportation) Twiddling their thumbs?

You'll probably (unfortunately) need to take the jeep to a local dealer at some point anyway. Maybe you can get Jeep to deliver the doors to one that you've vetted.

The tops and doors aren't necessarily shipped together. When I ordered mine, I got the dual top. The softtop arrived some time after I picked up the jeep. Try to get your local dealer to help persuade them to ship there instead. Some dealers don't mind as much losing the sale; they want your maintenance and parts money.
omg this just extended this thread for at least 15 more pages to make a decision. lol

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe