Sponsored

Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN?

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Alright, after thinking this over a little more .... It might make more sense to ship the HALF DOORS home, and keep the wife and kid with me in the JEEP ?

Thoughts ?
no way in hell i would ship them. i just got a box literally open from UPS. Fed ex pretty much throws ur shit at your door anymore. post office. . . . well it just takes a long long long time.

u-haul.

option 2: wife only kids with sitter at home.
Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Wrap the 1/2 doors in furniture pads, put 'em in the back of the Jeep. At this point, you may (or may not) have room in the rear seats for fam.

If not, rent a 2nd car, and fam takes turns riding in the Jeep. I don't see the car rental costing any more than shipping the doors, and it's less risky.

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I did a similar trip in aug. It was a brutal ride home for just me with the seat forward and completely upright. Given how the doors are packed in the boxes, there is no way they would survive being shipped. You are not supposed to tow or highway drive for the first few hundred miles but, I suggest bring the family, get a haul trailer and take an extra day to explore the backroads home.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I work in the packaging/shipping field. If you value your doors, DO NOT ship them FedEx/UPS. Just don't.

I wouldn't haul a trailer either (no matter the size) with a brand new vehicle either

Either get a rack for the hitch, or rent a car for the family on the way back.
The best one was the van hitting a small car, backing up, his front bumper falling off, and taking off...leaving the damaged car and his front bumper behind... šŸ˜«

Sponsored

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
This is why I am planning to trailer our new Jeep how from Gupton to eastern Iowa. I can run down and back for ~300 in fuel, and I already have the truck and trailer. I think the ones who say "have it transported" are on target. If you need someone, I know a hotshot guy here in Iowa that would probably do it for you. If you have a tow vehicle, you could also get a uhaul car hauler one way for the Jeep.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I am missing something here? Why not just put the dam doors on? Bring the family if you want and install the doors. (Hell there only half doors) Plenty of time to ride without them on later.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I am missing something here? Why not just put the dam doors on? Bring the family if you want and install the doors. (Hell there only half doors) Plenty of time to ride without them on later.
You are indeed missing something. And that something is the fact that his Jeep will arrive with eight doors total, not four.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, so it is the duel door group? Now it makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I was trying to figure out why you would not just install them. LOL.

A cheap Harbor Freight trailer might be an option, and then you have a trailer you can modify for other stuff or sell when you get home.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Totally go uhaul trailer.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not thinking to good today. For sure a enclosed U-Haul would be best. At least you wouldn't have to carry them inside your motel room if you stop for the night.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Maybe have the dealership ship the doors to your house? I would think that way they would be responsible for any damages?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
This is off topic but I see so many people ordering from this dealer. How much do you actually save over an under invoice local dealer. This is once you figure in the flight there, Uber to the dealer, gas, food, house/baby/pet sitter and possibly lodging on the ride home. I didnā€™t include personal time (break in driving greatly adds to the GPS time) which has different value to different people. It doesnā€™t seem worth it to me.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
This is off topic but I see so many people ordering from this dealer. How much do you actually save over an under invoice local dealer. This is once you figure in the flight there, Uber to the dealer, gas, food, house/baby/pet sitter and possibly lodging on the ride home. I didnā€™t include personal time (break in driving greatly adds to the GPS time) which has different value to different people. It doesnā€™t seem worth it to me.
Speaking as someone who bought from another dealer out of stateā€¦

Itā€™s not just the bottom line.

For me, the dealership experience was key. It took a handful of emails and maybe thirty minutes of my time to finalize a build and price. Was at the dealership itself for only an hour or so to pick up.

no hassle, gimmicks, games. It was a very direct turn key experience.
Sponsored