Sponsored

Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN?

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
That’s what I think too. But many here melt down about “overpaying” yet go through all that trouble to save a buck. There’s even a thread here where some people are melting down over a 1% affiliate discount. Oh, then they drop $5k or more on mods the moment they buy the Jeep.
I'm saving $10,000 buying it from Gupton vs. local . Tried two dealers local with the affiliate and the Costco program.
Sponsored

Draelor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have the soft top only .. . Why won't they rent to a soft topper ?
I don't know but if you try to reserve one it will ask you what top. I know this because once mine gets to Gupton I'm in the same boat as you and I've been looking at alternatives :)

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I have the soft top only .. . Why won't they rent to a soft topper ?
They won’t for safety reasons. Will have to pick up the uHaul trailer with another vehicle. Too late for them to care when you drop it off being towed by a soft top death machine. Don’t ask me how I know.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
@191185
A cheap Harbor Freight trailer might be an option, and then you have a trailer you can modify for other stuff or sell when you get home.
There is a Tractor Supply store next to Gupton in Springfield. Is that where you are headed? That store has this very light trailer in stock, or you can look at others trailers in stock.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm trying to remember the name of the manufactuer, but there was a guy at GSMJI selling hitch/spare mounts that mounted and locked in the doors behind the Jeep. I was struggling to see actually using it at the time, but it would be the perfect solution for this issue:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? 1632947548805

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
This is off topic but I see so many people ordering from this dealer. How much do you actually save over an under invoice local dealer. This is once you figure in the flight there, Uber to the dealer, gas, food, house/baby/pet sitter and possibly lodging on the ride home. I didn’t include personal time (break in driving greatly adds to the GPS time) which has different value to different people. It doesn’t seem worth it to me.
I saved $8,000.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW I bought my front set of half doors from a dealer in IL (I’m in GA) and to ship the 4 boxes (2 for the lowers and 2 for the uppers) it was $150 insured via UPS ground. I have no idea how it was so cheap. Maybe the dealer has preferred rates or something.

they came in almost perfect shape. There’s a little scuffing on the edge of one of the mirrors where I’m assuming it was dropped. The boxes were rough, but I was shocked at how well the doors survived, especially given the little padding in the boxes.

RayAllen

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Don't ship them. As everyone else said, odds of them arriving undamaged are very slim.

It'll cost you $500 to ship them, they'll arrive damaged, the damage claim will be denied for improper packaging, and you'll end up negative $4500 for the ordeal.

I like the idea of the cargo carrier - however you'll have to make sure that at least two of the boxes will fit on it. You'll also have to go buy the cargo carrier, assemble it, and then secure the boxes. And of course if you are staying overnight, you'll have to bring that in with you.

Leave the family at home.
Perhaps the saddest part of this entire thread is that it seems almost unanimous that a "common carrier" will more than likely damage, if not destroy completely, the doors. Yet we, the "customer" (who they preach and preach they value so much!) can do little, if anything about it. Let's face it, those common carriers are NOT getting "punished" anywhere NEAR as bad as they should be, if it's intended to get their attention at all ! Let's say if the carrier damages a $4000 set of doors, they pay the customer a minimum of $8000 and they are responsible for "re-doing the order"........... in preparing for my new Jeep I have received 3 large boxes, 2 of them came completely ripped to pieces and taped back together, and the third came with a hole ripped out of the side and merchandise hanging out the side................. SO, once again, UPS, FedEx, USPS Etc., tell me how MUCH we, the customer, mean to you.............. I love hearing the lie over and over again.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I wouldn’t tow with a brand new vehicle but YMMV…

Rent a minivan for the wife/kid or leave them at home
Sponsored