Ideal offset for 265/70r17-285/70r17 tires on JLU Sport

HighGs

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited
Hello all! I believe I've been doing my due diligence on researching the ideal wheel and tire size for a standard, non-lifted Jeep JLU Sport and have narrowed my field down to two different wheels and tire sizes.

My jeep is a daily driver and I know I can go up to a 285/70r17 without much of an issue; I'm just not sure I want to go even that big. Since my jeep is not lifted at this point, I do not want the tires to look too stuffed in the wheel wells as well as lose articulation if and when I take it to the trails. I was sort of leaning towards a 265/70r17 tire; specifically the Toyo Open Country A/T III. That specific tire is available in a 265/70r17 C rated tire with outer white lettering (which is ideally something I would like.) It would also save me roughly $240 total over purchasing the same tires in a 285/70r17 size.

The two wheels which I am looking at are the Black Rhino Barstow wheel which is a 17x8 wheel with a +27 offset as well as the Method Racing 307 wheel which as a 17x8.5 wheel with a 0-offset. At this time, both wheels are within a couple dollars of each other as well as are both relatively equivelant in weight. Both have that really nice retro look IMO. The main difference that is keeping me from pulling the trigger one way or the other is that darn offset. I've been looking at rim and tire size calculators as well as many a google search to try and find which would be the better choice as far as performance and stance. Most of what I find for stock JL's seem to be the 285/70r17 size tires on 0 or -6 through -12 offsets.

Since that Black Rhino Barstow wheel is a +27 I thought it would give my jeep a decent stance which would be just a tad wider than the stock 245/75r17's with the +44 offset I currently have. They'd also fill out the wheel wells a bit more while still having room for articulation. Question is, would I be pidgeonholding myself if I wanted to do a bit more modification to my jeep such as intalling a lift, larger tires, tube fenders, etc. down the road. If I were to get the Method 307's with the 0-offset and run the 265/70r17's for now, would that just look silly? Would it be better to hold off and just save up a bit more to get a 1.5 inch spacer lift and the 285's along with the 0-offset methods?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

rhino-barstow-textured-matte-black_0.jpg

Method_Race_Wheels_MR307_Hole_Matte_Black_3.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
With the narrower axles on the Sport (vs. the Rubicon) you're better off going w/ the zero offset since it sounds like you're probably going to eventually want a lift and possibly bigger tires next time. If you stay at stock height you're fine w/ the 8 +27. Also that 8.5 is a bit better if you get wider tires later on.

I'd look for a Rubicon suspension swap vs. that spacer lift, cost about the same but better function w/ the Rubicon parts.

TBH I'd consider just going w/ that Rubicon swap, those zero offset wheels, and 285/70/17 tires. I've got a hunch that's what you really want :)

Might be able to find Rubicon takeoff tires on the site for a good deal along w/ the suspension, maybe from the same guy :)

OP
OP
HighGs

HighGs

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited
Thanks for the advice. I had not considered the Rubicon suspension swap; will need to research that to see what all that involves.

Thanks again.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!