Idea for a product: Spare tyre delete and put it back again

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
You don't need a spare around the suburbs. It is heavy and uses fuel.

When I remove the spare, the bolts that stick out the back are quite ugly. I am aware of the "spare tyre delete" plates available. They all assume I am not going to put the spare tyre on again.

My idea is to cover them in a black steel box, just the right shape, so it looks neat and tidy.

The intention is to put the spare tyre back on when I go away on a trip. So the box needs to be added and removed quickly, just as a bike rack can be added and removed quickly.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If you build it, they will come. I'd be happy for a quick delete.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah seconded, great idea- although I know if I bought it I’d get a flat randomly in a parking lot or something the day after

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
It does seem pretty simple to have a mounting plate with maybe a slot at the top to accept the tire carrier and a couple bolts at the lower sides to secure it. The camera and 3rd brake light might be tricky; maybe some kind of quick removal from the tailgate plate and reconnect to the tire carrier...

Integrate it with a tailgate reinforcement and different accessories that can attach instead of the spare, like fuel cans or a trail rack or a waterproof lockbox... I'd buy into this system.
Sponsored