Idaho Jeepers? Need some assistance!

Patriot1776

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's in Sarge Green
I need some opinions! I'm not familiar with the west to much. All I know is the typical Southwest parks, and Utah and Colorado obviously. Idaho has good benefits and cost of living for my wife who is a nurse and military retirement for me in a few years. We would like to take a trip next year to see where we would like to live and maybe wheel a little and see the sites. We are currently in Hawaii so we need to plan well and I would like some opinions on living, cost of living, housing, areas to avoid, areas that are large enough for her to make decent money but close enough to get away. I want to buy land also... All of you guys that could help Id appreciate it!
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'm from NW Montana. You are going to find a lot of folks have moved to Idaho recently. Fewer have moved to Montana but we've still had more than our share. Southern Idaho has several cities dominated by LDS religion. Neither good nor bad, just the way it is. North Idaho has a bunch of little towns that used to rely on the lumber/mining industry and now are slowly dying out. In the larger cities, the economy looks to be booming with lots of construction going on. Jobs are easier to find but you won't see the pay scales you have in many other areas. The little towns have few jobs and low pay. The other newbies will welcome you but the old timers won't accept you for years, especially in the smaller town where everybody is related to everybody else. People tend to be very self reliant and conservative in the more rural areas. If I was considering a move to Idaho, I'd look a smaller town in the Coeur d'Alene area or perhaps Sand Point. Weather there is moderate for the mountain west and property is still almost affordable. Be aware this is a conservative Republican area and if that does not fit your desires look at Missoula Montana. Property will cost more, jobs are available and politics are much more liberal. Those of us who are lifelong residents of the rural west think we should be able to get licenses during tourist season. We love tourists who visit, spend lots of money and GO HOME. Not so much those who move here and try to change our way of life 'cause us hicks don't think right minded. Just sayin.

OP
OP
Patriot1776

Patriot1776

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's in Sarge Green
I'm from NW Montana. You are going to find a lot of folks have moved to Idaho recently. Fewer have moved to Montana but we've still had more than our share. Southern Idaho has several cities dominated by LDS religion. Neither good nor bad, just the way it is. North Idaho has a bunch of little towns that used to rely on the lumber/mining industry and now are slowly dying out. In the larger cities, the economy looks to be booming with lots of construction going on. Jobs are easier to find but you won't see the pay scales you have in many other areas. The little towns have few jobs and low pay. The other newbies will welcome you but the old timers won't accept you for years, especially in the smaller town where everybody is related to everybody else. People tend to be very self reliant and conservative in the more rural areas. If I was considering a move to Idaho, I'd look a smaller town in the Coeur d'Alene area or perhaps Sand Point. Weather there is moderate for the mountain west and property is still almost affordable. Be aware this is a conservative Republican area and if that does not fit your desires look at Missoula Montana. Property will cost more, jobs are available and politics are much more liberal. Those of us who are lifelong residents of the rural west think we should be able to get licenses during tourist season. We love tourists who visit, spend lots of money and GO HOME. Not so much those who move here and try to change our way of life 'cause us hicks don't think right minded. Just sayin.
I’m 100 percent conservative from small town Indiana. I get that mindset. We feel the same way with certain “tourists” moving in. I accept everyone but not everyone does. I’m also not looking to change anyone’s way of lifeZ that any of life is how I was born and raised. Somewhere between flagstaff and the Canadian border is my dream. Mountains, hunting, fishing and appreciating Gods gifts. Thank you for all the advice. I’ve always been fascinated by the North West Rockies area.
Sponsored