Sponsored

I'd like some advice for my build/order.

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Hey guys. I've been eyeballing Wranglers since I saw one as a wee baby in Jurassic Park and I figure it's finally time to scoop one up. I'm not a wealthy man, so I'd like some opinions on the options I'm selecting and whether I could cut them out.

I'm looking at a basic 2-door Sport. V6/manual transmission. Current options I'm looking at are paint, trailer tow/HD electrical group, window tint, anti-spin axle, A/T tires, and air conditioning of course.

I plan on doing some very light towing, so the trailer wiring is a must. It seems overly convoluted to add it aftermarket (on my old Nissan Frontier it was already prewired so you just needed to add the 7-pin plug to the empty pigtail sitting under the bumper and hook up a relay in the cab). I'd light to add extra lightning of some sort down the road, so having the auxiliary switches prewired also seems well worth the money.

I'm not sure if I want the window tint. It seems like a ripoff price, especially since it's the same cost for 2-door and 4-door. As I understand it though, it's nearly impossible to add tint to the soft top windows aftermarket so I may need to just bite the bullet and get it for cargo privacy. It looks like I may be able to buy them for around $600 online, so I could skip it and get it later if I feel I need it. What would the dealer charge for a set of tinted windows? I could only find untinted on the official Mopar parts store.

I'm not sure if the anti-spin axle will have any meaningful impact. For daily driving it won't have any effect. For more extreme off-roading it's not a locker. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or exceptionally difficult terrain, so I'm not sure how useful it will be. I initially wanted it because I heard optioning the anti-spin gets you a Dana 44 axle, but allegedly all manuals get the Dana 44 anyway. My only buddy with a Jeep does not have the anti-spin and says he's never needed it or gotten stuck, and I think he'll do more offroading than I ever will. What do you guys think?

The $200 A/T tire upgrade seems a no-brainer. The Jeep will be a daily driver so I don't want mud tires. $200 would only buy me one tire if I were to upgrade them myself. What tires does this get you? Are they garbage A/T's and not even worth the $200?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
I'm looking at a basic 2-door Sport. V6/manual transmission. Current options I'm looking at are paint, trailer tow/HD electrical group, window tint, anti-spin axle, A/T tires, and air conditioning of course.

I plan on doing some very light towing, so the trailer wiring is a must. It seems overly convoluted to add it aftermarket (on my old Nissan Frontier it was already prewired so you just needed to add the 7-pin plug to the empty pigtail sitting under the bumper and hook up a relay in the cab). I'd light to add extra lightning of some sort down the road, so having the auxiliary switches prewired also seems well worth the money.

I'm not sure if I want the window tint. It seems like a ripoff price, especially since it's the same cost for 2-door and 4-door. As I understand it though, it's nearly impossible to add tint to the soft top windows aftermarket so I may need to just bite the bullet and get it for cargo privacy. It looks like I may be able to buy them for around $600 online, so I could skip it and get it later if I feel I need it. What would the dealer charge for a set of tinted windows? I could only find untinted on the official Mopar parts store.

I'm not sure if the anti-spin axle will have any meaningful impact. For daily driving it won't have any effect. For more extreme off-roading it's not a locker. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or exceptionally difficult terrain, so I'm not sure how useful it will be. I initially wanted it because I heard optioning the anti-spin gets you a Dana 44 axle, but allegedly all manuals get the Dana 44 anyway. My only buddy with a Jeep does not have the anti-spin and says he's never needed it or gotten stuck, and I think he'll do more offroading than I ever will. What do you guys think?

The $200 A/T tire upgrade seems a no-brainer. The Jeep will be a daily driver so I don't want mud tires. $200 would only buy me one tire if I were to upgrade them myself. What tires does this get you? Are they garbage A/T's and not even worth the $200?

Congrats on your decision hope your ordering process goes flawlessly

Tow Package and Aux Switches sounds like a must for you. I had them on my Gladiator and loved the integration into Uconnect. I’m not sure how it integrates into the smaller radios, someone here will have that answer.

As for the LSD I find them useful especially if towing in wet weather. It’s a fairly inexpensive upgrade and I feel it gives at least that much back to me. Plenty of situations you’ll come across that it’ll prove useful.

Once the addiction of owning a Jeep kicks in you’ll find yourself doing things you never thought of haha!

I’m not sure which AT option there putting on the sport these days. The A/Ts won’t usually see the mileage or ride as quietly as the all seasons will if that’s a concern. Having the LSD would help with the loss of traction from the all season versus the A/T tire tho.

As for the tinted windows that just too much money for tint IMO

Hope some of this helps and good luck!

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
If you’re looking soft top and want the windows tinted, I’d get the premium soft top upgrade if budget allows. Better top in my opinion and comes with tinted windows.
You can always get the standard and upgrade down the line.

Sponsored

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Just checked the configurator on the website and the premium top isn’t an option?! WTH

Pretend I didn’t say anything :)

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The LSD does help in foul weather. Not sure what part of Texas you are in, but it does help in snow/slush conditions, in case you face them.

Mine came with Goodyear A/T (adventure) and they were not great in any aspect. I finally bought Yokohama Geolanders and they are great.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
You can buy take off wheels on Craigslist pretty easily. And there’s usually someone selling a soft top too. So those are easy to add later. Finance rates are as cheap as they are ever going to be, so I’d say get the anti spin, trailer tow and A/C.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The LSD does help in foul weather. Not sure what part of Texas you are in, but it does help in snow/slush conditions, in case you face them.

Mine came with Goodyear A/T (adventure) and they were not great in any aspect. I finally bought Yokohama Geolanders and they are great.
No snow down here, but I am considering moving to Colorado in the next couple years so it should definitely help here.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
No snow down here, but I am considering moving to Colorado in the next couple years so it should definitely help here.
Doesn’t necessarily have to be snow. It helps in mud, on gravel roads and anywhere you may have a bit less traction. The Wrangler still is a rear-wheel drive vehicle, so spinning/fish-tailing will always be easy to do, but it does help. I find that it keeps me from having to engage 4WD in some light off-roading.

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
The Willys Sport might be your best model to buy, I'm ordering a 2022 Willys Sport with just one option, A/C. The Willys Sport will cone with Rubicon tires and wheels, but a smaller tire, deep tint glass and tinted W/S and side door glass, anti-spin rear axle is also in the package, side rock rails, and other Willys options are included. This puts the List price right at $34,000, I think it's the best bang for the buck.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Willys Sport might be your best model to buy, I'm ordering a 2022 Willys Sport with just one option, A/C. The Willys Sport will cone with Rubicon tires and wheels, but a smaller tire, deep tint glass and tinted W/S and side door glass, anti-spin rear axle is also in the package, side rock rails, and other Willys options are included. This puts the List price right at $34,000, I think it's the best bang for the buck.
I was heavily considering the Willy's sport. If I'm getting all the options I want on the sport it's only like $1200 or something more for the tires, shocks, rock rails. I'm just worried about the tires being a chore on the road, and I really dislike the black grille (although it's pretty easy to change out).

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Your build sounds perfect.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I was heavily considering the Willy's sport. If I'm getting all the options I want on the sport it's only like $1200 or something more for the tires, shocks, rock rails. I'm just worried about the tires being a chore on the road, and I really dislike the black grille (although it's pretty easy to change out).
Funny, I used to feel the same way about the Willys grille but I've completely come around on it. True, technically easy to change out later but finding a color match would be the challenge, I think.
LSD with RWD comes in handy in unexpected but common traction loss situations (oil slick road, loose gravel, wet leaves etc). Good luck - you're on the right track.
Sponsored