Sponsored

Icon lift or something else to smooth out road imperfections?

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What's best lift to smooth out the mini-road imperfections on my DD JLUR? I'm guessing a dual or triple rate coil would help? I noticed one member had the icon lift and said they were softer so was leaning towards those. Anyone else have experience with them?

I currently have a 2" budget boost with shock extensions. It's ok, and from what I remember, seems to be about like stock ride other than a tad bit more body roll in the corners, which I expected without any other changes. I plan to also get a new front adjustable trackbar and rear track bar relocation bracket.

I do a little offroading/rockcrawling but only a few times a year. Anything else out there besides the icons that is smoother on the street? BTW, also have 315x70x17 BFG KO2 Load C at 29psi/cold and LCA drop brackets (which helped with the on-road smoothness some)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
With solid axles you will always feel the road more than on other vehicles.

In my experience single rate coils result in a smoother/softer ride than multi-rate.

One thing I have found that improves ride quality quite a bit is geometry correction brackets. They lower your control arm mounting point to keep them more parallel to the road, additionally they reduce roll.

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With solid axles you will always feel the road more than on other vehicles.

In my experience single rate coils result in a smoother/softer ride than multi-rate.

One thing I have found that improves ride quality quite a bit is geometry correction brackets. They lower your control arm mounting point to keep them more parallel to the road, additionally they reduce roll.
I understand the solid axle thing completely! This is my 6th jeep. I also have the drop brackets already. However, I saw one person who installed the dual rate springs from Icon on their JLUR and they said it was "softer". I'm just looking to get every bit of smoothness I can out of the 99.9% of the time where I'm on the road.

Icon_Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
@smuddy
A dual rate spring will provide a lower active spring rate at ride height. Usually when trying to combat harshness tire pressure and tire rating is the culprit. I recommend dropping your tire pressure 10psi so you can get a feel for how much tire pressure can change your ride quality. A nice C rated tire with minimal tire pressure should be an easy way to remove harshness in ride quality.

Another thing to consider is that we do offer 1 shock revalve as part of our 1 Year Warranty (shipping to Icon is the only out of pocket expense). It's not heavily marketed because our vale codes are tested over 1,000 miles off road and will be a perfect fit for vast majority of our customers. We do have some who ask for a little more, dedicated off road only rigs, or a little less for vehicle that do not see a lot of off road use where the additional damping is needed.

Either way I'd be happy to provide more incite if you have any questions.

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@smuddy
A dual rate spring will provide a lower active spring rate at ride height. Usually when trying to combat harshness tire pressure and tire rating is the culprit. I recommend dropping your tire pressure 10psi so you can get a feel for how much tire pressure can change your ride quality. A nice C rated tire with minimal tire pressure should be an easy way to remove harshness in ride quality.

Another thing to consider is that we do offer 1 shock revalve as part of our 1 Year Warranty (shipping to Icon is the only out of pocket expense). It's not heavily marketed because our vale codes are tested over 1,000 miles off road and will be a perfect fit for vast majority of our customers. We do have some who ask for a little more, dedicated off road only rigs, or a little less for vehicle that do not see a lot of off road use where the additional damping is needed.

Either way I'd be happy to provide more incite if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info! But I'm already at 29 psi on load range C 315x70x17 BFG KO2s! Pretty sure 19 would feel awesome on the highway until I took a turn to fast! Then, pretty sure riding the rim after that would be a whole heck of a lot worse! ;-)

This is my 6th jeep. But, maybe my issue is that I have just gotten too old (even though I'm only 48) and like a cush ride. That, and I had a '17 ridgeline in between my last JKUR and this jeep and that thing was like driving on a cloud! I love the feeling I have when I drive my jeep as long as it's not every day and on the highway for long trips. Also doesn't help that it's winter and I can't drive with the top down very often. Spring and fall, there isn't another vehicle I'd rather have! Wish I could afford having 2 vehicles; this jeep and a nice SUV or ridgeline for trips and my 50 mile daily commute. I just gotta believe that there is some set of springs and shocks that are a little smoother riding than my JLUR springs and shocks! I've driven in other solid axle vehicles that seemed a lot smoother than this!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I suggest you read up about dual or triple rate coils.....cliff notes....they are snake oil. (I have dual rate coils on my JK).
Sponsored