Sponsored

I would have never thought this even 10 years ago.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think more to the OP’s point is that the prices on Wranglers keep increasing & for what? It’s not like the Wrangler is getting drastically redesigned, being loaded with all new tech, etc.

The ‘22 JLU we have on order is optioned pretty closely to our current ‘16 JKU.
The differences being our ‘16 has the locking axles, 3.73 gears front/rear & factory steel bumpers. The ‘22 has the LED lighting pkg.

All other option pkgs are the same between the two & the ‘22 has a MSRP of $10k more than the ‘16 did. Less standard equipment, pretty much the same vehicle & price increase of $10k.

If we weren’t getting such a great trade-in value, we’d have just kept the ‘16. It is amazing what Chevrolet has done with the Corvette and keeping the price down. For comparisons sake a 2016 Corvette Stingray had an MSRP of $56,500, the ‘2020 Stingray had an MSRP of $59,995.
You need to consider the entire package. The JL has greater efficiency and power. My old TJ got 15 mpg and was a dog. My JK got 18 mpg and was ok power wise. My '19 JLR 2.0T was a rocket compared to the TJ and JK and got 23 mpg! A lot to do with the The ZF 8-Speed transmission which is light years ahead of the transmissions in any of the JKs. The ZF 8-speed adds $2.5K alone. The JL is LOT more refine. Factor in inflation and the JL is not that much more. It is a lot more Wrangler.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Traditionally, though, automakers added gears to the transmission and power to the engine as part of keeping the vehicle competitive on the market, holding down prices as much as possible.

Not Jeep. They charge us extra for every single gear they add to the transmission and every horsepower to the engine. They charge us for every extra inch of ground clearance and additional bolt holding the fenders in place. And like a bunch of meth addicts, we are willing to pay whatever Jeep wants and put up with the abuse from its dealers.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This might be a bit of a hot take, but I think the C8 is one of the best looking vehicles in any category in the past 20 years. To me, everything about it looks exciting.
Not only is it exotic looking it is super practical for super car performance.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
You need to consider the entire package. The JL has greater efficiency and power. My old TJ got 15 mpg and was a dog. My JK got 18 mpg and was ok power wise. My '19 JLR 2.0T was a rocket compared to the TJ and JK and got 23 mpg! A lot to do with the The ZF 8-Speed transmission which is light years ahead of the transmissions in any of the JKs. The ZF 8-speed adds $2.5K alone. The JL is LOT more refine. Factor in inflation and the JL is not that much more. It is a lot more Wrangler.
Honestly, I wouldn’t say the JL is a lot more refined. The interior plastics have a cheaper appearance than the JK, imo. And depending on location/terrain I prefer the JK transmission to the JL 8-speed. We drove a JLU in CO for a week and it was awful. The transmission could never find the right gear, wouldn’t downshift going down the mountains, was constantly shifting between gears. It was extremelyannoying. The vehicle was a ‘20 with only 4K miles.

I drove a 2-door & another 4 door in Utah recently, both seemed much smoother. More gears isn’t always a good thing. So I’m on the fence to that being a positive or negative. The rest of the vehicle is essentially the same as the JK, so again nothing really justifies the $10k price increase in just 5 years.

Going back to the OP’s comparison, my ‘11 Z06 had a base price of~$76k and although pricing is not released for the C8 Z06 yet, based on comments from the Corvette team & others, it’s estimated the base MSRP will be ~$85-87k. So that’s 12 years and a vastly different & improved vehicle with a $10k price jump.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traditionally, though, automakers added gears to the transmission and power to the engine as part of keeping the vehicle competitive on the market, holding down prices as much as possible.

Not Jeep. They charge us extra for every single gear they add to the transmission and every horsepower to the engine. They charge us for every extra inch of ground clearance and additional bolt holding the fenders in place. And like a bunch of meth addicts, we are willing to pay whatever Jeep wants and put up with the abuse from its dealers.
Until the Bronco the Wrangler had no competition. Let see if Jeep offers more value in the future.

I priced a 2021 JLR and 2022 JLR. The 2022 is actually cheaper with the same options because a couple of options are included in the base Rubicon for 2022.

I get what your saying. They only get away with what they charge because we keep buying everything. LOL!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Until the Bronco the Wrangler had no competition. Let see if Jeep offers more value in the future.

I priced a 2021 JLR and 2022 JLR. The 2022 is actually cheaper with the same options because a couple of options are included in the base Rubicon for 2022.

I get what your saying. They only get away with what they charge because we keep buying everything. LOL!
Yup. Right now Jeep is benefiting from all that demand Ford generated for Bronco but is unable to supply.

Who knows how long it will be until Jeep demand and supply regain their equilibrium, and start to feel the pressure from Bronco. The way things look right now, I believe it won’t be until well into 2023.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
PICS OF vette?
my brother and i have our grandfathers 54...... Pennant Blue also......
I have been unable to locate my large box of PICS since moving. The vette, GTX, Nomad, Harleys, Jeeps can’t be found. BTY , isn’t it fun to start when cold? Always carried ether

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I’ve been fortunate to own (and drive) a lot of cars over the years. My favorites have always been mid engine. One word: Balance
AB119E44-4B44-42B0-A5AD-0978B9994C40.jpeg
231471B4-38FF-4C69-8FCD-688997A49EB9.jpeg
Fortunate.... and evidently a very savvy investor!

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Problem is that most people find the C8 hideous. The latest Camaro was a beast on paper like the C8 but it was cramped and had the visibility of a machine gun bunker. The C8 in my opinion will end up being the New Coke of Corvettes.

Jeeps are terribly overpriced for what you get but people love them and they are attractive. Thusly, the market justifies it.
not true, the C8 damn near broke the internet when it was unveiled, there hasn't been a debut like that in forever.....I myself was never a Vette guy until that thing came out. I'm far from alone in that too.....A mid engine Merican exotic that can hang with the big boys for a fraction of the price.

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 1638925156256

8-corvette-lowered-eibach-springs-forgeline-wheels.jpg

Last edited:

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunate.... and evidently a very savvy investor!
Thank you. Your comment is spot on.

Investing (and saving) wisely has paid great dividends. I feel very blessed.

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I’ve been fortunate to own (and drive) a lot of cars over the years. My favorites have always been mid engine. One word: Balance
Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 8-corvette-lowered-eibach-springs-forgeline-wheels
Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 8-corvette-lowered-eibach-springs-forgeline-wheels

me too....been a mid engine fan since my first NSX back in the day

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 39934999245_4aa08cb811_z

this was my last one.....I had three of them over the last 20 years so it was time for something new
(wish I kept it tho)

my latest mid engine go kart
Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. IMG_7473.JPG

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I have been unable to locate my large box of PICS since moving. The vette, GTX, Nomad, Harleys, Jeeps can’t be found. BTY , isn’t it fun to start when cold? Always carried ether
that sucks about the pics.. actually we are putting an LS in it. no ether needed. i do remember though my dad using it on the snow blower and blowing up the engine on it LOL
Sponsored