Sponsored

I would have never thought this even 10 years ago.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I think more to the OP’s point is that the prices on Wranglers keep increasing & for what? It’s not like the Wrangler is getting drastically redesigned, being loaded with all new tech, etc.

The ‘22 JLU we have on order is optioned pretty closely to our current ‘16 JKU.
The differences being our ‘16 has the locking axles, 3.73 gears front/rear & factory steel bumpers. The ‘22 has the LED lighting pkg.

All other option pkgs are the same between the two & the ‘22 has a MSRP of $10k more than the ‘16 did. Less standard equipment, pretty much the same vehicle & price increase of $10k.

If we weren’t getting such a great trade-in value, we’d have just kept the ‘16. It is amazing what Chevrolet has done with the Corvette and keeping the price down. For comparisons sake a 2016 Corvette Stingray had an MSRP of $56,500, the ‘2020 Stingray had an MSRP of $59,995.
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
But you cant buy a new vett right now. GM gets their plastic from the same source as jeep for the hard top. Production has been completely shut down!
This isn’t true at all. Corvette production isn’t shut down.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I think more to the OP’s point is that the prices on Wranglers keep increasing & for what? It’s not like the Wrangler is getting drastically redesigned, being loaded with all new tech, etc.

The differences being our ‘16 has the locking axles, 3.73 gears front/rear & factory steel bumpers. The ‘22 has the LED lighting pkg.

All other option pkgs are the same between the two & the ‘22 has a MSRP of $10k more than the ‘16 did. Less standard equipment, pretty much the same vehicle & price increase of $10k.

If we weren’t getting such a great trade-in value, we’d have just kept the ‘16. It is amazing what Chevrolet has done with the Corvette and keeping the price down. For comparisons sake a 2016 Corvette Stingray had an MSRP of $56,500, the ‘2020 Stingray had an MSRP of $59,995.
It is demand which is observable in both new and used markets. IIRC jeeps have lowest depreciation of any vehicle.

Publics wants a vehicle that has a lot of utility but also i think its retro design is attractive but also ages well. If you want a car that can be an old model that still looks current, jeep is pretty much the best.

This is one of the reasons i decided to splurge on a 392. Until i started doing heavy researxh i couldnt tell a jk from a jl at a casual glance and depending on mods, it is still could take a second look.

Jeep just has a nice simplicity and a fee luxuries in a utilitarian package that makes it desirable

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
I have no clue who at chevy sold their soul to the devil, but the Corvette C8 is the best bargain in the world.

Any competitor to it is well over 100k. And they're still slower in a straight line, and with the mid engine, the c8 is going to shred the track.

All said though, nothing is fun like a wrangler. Fast is great, but no where to pet it loose....

fullytorqued

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon XR, 2020 Tesla 3, 2013 Prius C
I just came across this website, but it has some great info. This is a really nice tool to have.

1638548827367.png
Nice graphic. Reminded me how I purchased an Audi Q5 in 2009, put on 40k miles and sold it to a Toyota Sales Manager in 2011 for 10k less than I paid. He wanted it for his wife and the Q5 was hard to come by at the time. Seems like selling/trade in value is largely dependent on market opportunity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase

Yep. The main point is as Wrangler prices have gone up rather quickly (and outpaced the market), the number and quality of alternatives has increased dramatically, to the point that many people would be surprised.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Comparing the cheapest of one model to the most expensive of another model. You have a definite career in politics, marketing. Way to spin the fake news.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing the cheapest of one model to the most expensive of another model. You have a definite career in politics, marketing. Way to spin the fake news.
Thanks for reading and understanding the intent of this post, and responding with something thoughtful and in the spirit of the conversation, while not attacking the OP.

Oh wait, nevermind.

Last edited:

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
This fellow couldn’t make up his mind between getting a truck and sports coupe ... 😫

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 1638640104718

Resale value? Zero

Redneck value? Priceless!
Looks like something from a Mad Max Mel Gibson movie

quicksilvergoat

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT 392
I have no clue who at chevy sold their soul to the devil, but the Corvette C8 is the best bargain in the world.

Any competitor to it is well over 100k. And they're still slower in a straight line, and with the mid engine, the c8 is going to shred the track.

All said though, nothing is fun like a wrangler. Fast is great, but no where to pet it loose....
Problem is that most people find the C8 hideous. The latest Camaro was a beast on paper like the C8 but it was cramped and had the visibility of a machine gun bunker. The C8 in my opinion will end up being the New Coke of Corvettes.

Jeeps are terribly overpriced for what you get but people love them and they are attractive. Thusly, the market justifies it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Problem is that most people find the C8 hideous. The latest Camaro was a beast on paper like the C8 but it was cramped and had the visibility of a machine gun bunker. The C8 in my opinion will end up being the New Coke of Corvettes.
:) I dunno. But, I'm guessing the C8 will continue to sell faster than they can make them for a good while. The Corvette was stuck in yesteryear since the 70s. The front engine supercar had seen its day. It was time for Chevy to either drop the model line or step into this century. Sure, they'll loose some of us boomers, but they'll gain with younger generations. I think it was the only move that made sense. Steve McQueen is dead. The new trend is more sophisticated.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
:) I dunno. But, I'm guessing the C8 will continue to sell faster than they can make them for a good while. The Corvette was stuck in yesteryear since the 70s. The front engine supercar had seen its day. It was time for Chevy to either drop the model line or step into this century. Sure, they'll loose some of us boomers, but they'll gain with younger generations. I think it was the only move that made sense. Steve McQueen is dead. The new trend is more sophisticated.
Wait...what?? Steve McQueen is dead?

Don't tell me I have to sell this...its a real crowd pleaser everywhere I take it.
IMG_0031.JPG
Sponsored