Sponsored

I would have never thought this even 10 years ago.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what the point is.

The C8 has a price point that goes from $62K to over $124K (estimated Z06 top end).
The JL has a price range that goes from $30K-$85K

So is the point that the C8 is roughly twice as expensive as a JL?

P.S. One thing that we can say for certain, and I think that is a good thing, is that both the Corvette and Wrangler have expanded their price range on the top end (more options/capability for extra $$$), while keeping the entry level affordable. Nothing wrong with that. The entry level for both is still attainable to vast numbers of Americans with hard work and saving discipline.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ght-this-even-10-years-ago.83576/post-1746089
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Totally agree, I recently sold my 911 because the road conditions where I live made me appreciate the Jeep a lot more. Behind the wheel of the 911, I’d be cringing most of the time, worried that I’d end-up breaking something. Behind the wheel of the Jeep, I’m like “bring it on “.
I'm still kinda wanting one of those bespoke Baja/rally 911s, but for the price I'd still be sweating even the smallest scratch constantly. Think a 2-door 392 would be the logical alternative!

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
84K is not far off Mercedes G350D money. Which, is just as capable and massively more comfortable to drive. Though the G is massively less customizable. Though.. you can get portal axles for them.
I think that normal Wrangler rubicons hold their values very well. I can sell mine for about what I paid for it.
An 80k plus Wrangler would be a different story for deprecation at least where I live.

Well if buying new in the US, a Mercedes 350D isn't even an option. You have two new G class options in the US-

G550 - starting at $131,750 with no extras

AMG G 63 - starting at $156,450 with no extras

So given that, the Rubicon 392 with XR really isn't so bad $$$. Most people will probably pay in the upper $80's for a Rubicon 392, with a lot of extras included. The Rubicon 392 is the "poor man's G Wagon", and you can't really compare the two.

Personally, I have one on order because I'm middle aged and finally want a very special car that will be collectible someday. I have visited many car museums in my life, all over the place, and IMO this limited run 392 will definitely make it into museums across the world in the not too distant future. It's a special Jeep, and the big 392 V8 will disappear before you know it. Then you'll be left with G Wagons no one on this side of the Atlantic can afford.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'm still kinda wanting one of those bespoke Baja/rally 911s, but for the price I'd still be sweating even the smallest scratch constantly. Think a 2-door 392 would be the logical alternative!
That Brad Danger guy (you can see his videos on Youtube) did that to his 911 and he enjoys it a lot more than I did mine. But I hate a Baja/Rally 911s just as much as I do angry grills. It just ruins it all.

The 911 was a childhood dream of mine that I was lucky enough to make come-true. I can now check it off my bucket list. But I wasn't a very good owner and could never demystify it. I was paranoid the second it wasn't within my eye sight while running errands. On week-end rides, a road in construction would freak me out and ruin the whole experience. What I enjoyed the most was looking at it and shining it. So I'm better-off without it.

I've owned Wranglers since when the YJ came-out ( I entered the dealership to buy a CJ7 and saw that.... thing with square headlights... whatever...) bought one and the rest is history... Owned all models since then and the Jeep Wrangler is for me, the best all around vehicle a guy can have.

I will admit however that for long highway rides, we take the wife's Q5 :)

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Why not both? Lol...the z06 already has my attention with the flat plane crank. It's going to be very hard to beat for the price. GM/Chevrolet really did it right this time.

Most bang for the buck hands down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
That Brad Danger guy (you can see his videos on Youtube) did that to his 911 and he enjoys it a lot more than I did mine. But I hate a Baja/Rally 911s just as much as I do angry grills. It just ruins it all.

The 911 was a childhood dream of mine that I was lucky enough to make come-true. I can now check it off my bucket list. But I wasn't a very good owner and could never demystify it. I was paranoid the second it wasn't within my eye sight while running errands. On week-end rides, a road in construction would freak me out and ruin the whole experience. What I enjoyed the most was looking at it and shining it. So I'm better-off without it.

I've owned Wranglers since when the YJ came-out ( I entered the dealership to buy a CJ7 and saw that.... thing with square headlights... whatever...) bought one and the rest is history... Owned all models since then and the Jeep Wrangler is for me, the best all around vehicle a guy can have.

I will admit however that for long highway rides, we take the wife's Q5 :)
That's the the way to do it. I'm planning on replacing my wife's Ford Edge with a Q5 or Q7 when it is time. But I would never buy one for myself.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The best part is you can have a Sport and everyone thinks your driving around in a 80k vehicle, none the wiser.
Er...let me know how to pull that off.

Signed,
A $35K Sport owner :)

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Er...let me know how to pull that off.

Signed,
A $35K Sport owner :)
My belief is only (some)Jeep people can spot the difference between a 392 ... and any other Jeep out there. Especially Jeeps as they are usually modded UP.
I have a H.A and no one knows what the trim level is when they see it and I like it that way.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
It's something for conversation right? I think we get tunnel vision since, for the most part, we cross shop the same vehicles against each other (Ram TRX, Wrangler, Wrangler 392, Ford Raptor F-150, Ford Bronco, Bronco Raptor), and don't look "outside our box" and get a good idea what other options are out there for the same amount of money from others.

To your point, the other vehicles are different beasts, but dollars to dollars is a fair comparison.
I cross shopped Mustangs and Wranglers, and was also looking at European convertibles.

The plan was to keep my current VW Tiguan as a winter/dog car and then a sporty convertible. I was only considering the Mustang because I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have two European vehicles and maybe it was better to have something simpler. Same thing with the Jeep... but I already had one SUV. I didn't want a Camaro because I don't have a mullet, and didn't want a Corvette because I don't have a toupee. Then the turbo on the VW started going bad and it needed a new set of tires... figured that $4K would be better spent as a downpayment on a Wrangler and decided to trade the VW in. We all have different needs. I look at everything before narrowing my focus.

buckeye1996

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '19 JLR 3.6, '06 TJ 6 spd, '01 TJ 5spd
Definitely quite a few options for 392 money, but the 392 is actually a bargain.

NOTHING ticks as many boxes as the 392 Wrangler in my opinion:
  • Smiles per gallon
  • Muscle car sound that has those not "in the know" perplexed
  • General off road and adverse weather driving capabilities
  • Dune running (Not a pre-runner but a blast on the dunes)
  • Aftermarket support
  • Grocery getter with seating for 5
The list goes on and on.

A 392 and a 911 would be a dream combo for me, but the 392 was the right choice for now.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
That's the the way to do it. I'm planning on replacing my wife's Ford Edge with a Q5 or Q7 when it is time. But I would never buy one for myself.
While I'm waiting for my Jeep, I'm driving a VW Tiguan and love the thing... it has a tune and I drive it like a baby Porsche... and I've driven an SQ5 and that was a blast as well... the Q7 might be too big to have as much fun.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely quite a few options for 392 money, but the 392 is actually a bargain.

NOTHING ticks as many boxes as the 392 Wrangler in my opinion:
  • Smiles per gallon
  • Muscle car sound that has those not "in the know" perplexed
  • General off road and adverse weather driving capabilities
  • Dune running (Not a pre-runner but a blast on the dunes)
  • Aftermarket support
  • Grocery getter with seating for 5
The list goes on and on.

A 392 and a 911 would be a dream combo for me, but the 392 was the right choice for now.
I just don't feel like I would drop that much coin on any vehicle, but I 100% get it. The low 50s just feels like my self-imposed limit.

If I was willing to drop more, I'd probably go nuts and own 6 or 7 cars/trucks and have one less wife.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
My belief is only (some)Jeep people can spot the difference between a 392 ... and any other Jeep out there. Especially Jeeps as they are usually modded UP.
I have a H.A and no one knows what the trim level is when they see it and I like it that way.
I've owned Jeeps for 45 years, and would definitely consider myself a "Jeep people". But, last weekend I was at the carwash vacuuming out my Jeep after having washed it. Another Jeep owner came over and said hi, and said I had a nice Jeep. I looked across the parking lot at his Jeep, and it looked like a JLU with a mild lift and 35s, with black wheels. I said he had a nice Jeep as well, and we talked for just a minute or so, and he went back to his Jeep, and I finished cleaning out mine. As I drove out of the parking lot I drove past his Jeep, and it was a 392 XR. I bet he was expecting more from me than to say "your Jeep looks nice too". So, yeah, from a distance the 392 looks pretty much like any other mildly modded Jeep. Although I did feel kind of stupid when I saw what it was, that I had not noticed it sooner. LOL.

buckeye1996

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '19 JLR 3.6, '06 TJ 6 spd, '01 TJ 5spd
I've owned Jeeps for 45 years, and would definitely consider myself a "Jeep people". But, last weekend I was at the carwash vacuuming out my Jeep after having washed it. Another Jeep owner came over and said hi, and said I had a nice Jeep. I looked across the parking lot at his Jeep, and it looked like a JLU with a mild lift and 35s, with black wheels. I said he had a nice Jeep as well, and we talked for just a minute or so, and he went back to his Jeep, and I finished cleaning out mine. As I drove out of the parking lot I drove past his Jeep, and it was a 392 XR. I bet he was expecting more from me than to say "your Jeep looks nice too". So, yeah, from a distance the 392 looks pretty much like any other mildly modded Jeep. Although I did feel kind of stupid when I saw what it was, that I had not noticed it sooner. LOL.
That's AWESOME! And another reason I love the 392. To the naked eye, it's just another JLU with a mild lift. Totally dig the sleeper effect.
Sponsored