Sponsored

I would have never thought this even 10 years ago.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 just doesn't do it for me. Proportions look off and the interior is hideous.

Now, the upcoming Lotus Emira is one i would do despicable things for. And it comes in a manual.
It's definitely a "to each their own" but there are a whole lot of nice eaches out there that cost less than $85K, much less $60K. Looks like that Lotus starts at $77K. Not bad.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It's something for conversation right? I think we get tunnel vision since, for the most part, we cross shop the same vehicles against each other (Ram TRX, Wrangler, Wrangler 392, Ford Raptor F-150, Ford Bronco, Bronco Raptor), and don't look "outside our box" and get a good idea what other options are out there for the same amount of money from others.

To your point, the other vehicles are different beasts, but dollars to dollars is a fair comparison.
Yeah, absolutely. Just something interesting to talk about! And personally, when I'm shopping for a vehicle it's ultimately about something that will get me from point A to point B every day, with any other capability being secondary. I'm unlikely to ever take a sports car to a track/strip and very unlikely to do much, if any off-roading either. But money is always in the equation, and I'll always take into consideration any other vehicles within a given price range to make comparisons as to what best fills my particular wants/needs.

And I'll be the first to admit, that one of my most frivolous criteria is never buying a vehicle that I find boring or ugly-looking. So yeah, I'd cross-shop a Wrangler with a Porsche simply because they both have a timeless 'classic' design that will still look great a decade from now.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
2022 Corvette Stingray (Base) - $62,195
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392 XR - $82,580

So you could buy a Corvette, and have enough left over to buy 2/3rds of a base Wrangler.

Even a top of the line Rubicon comes in over the Vette. Not saying it is wrong, but dang I would have never guessed that would have happened 10 years ago.

Anyone up for a game of "What other nice cars can you buy for less than a Wrangler?"

Corvette.JPG

Jeep.JPG
Yeah, well. Firstly, trucks are ā€œinā€; cars are ā€œout.ā€

Secondly, you are comparing Corvetteā€™s entry price with Wranglerā€™s top price. Wrangler still starts at around $30,000, and the upcoming Corvette ZO6, fully equipped, will be well in excess of $120,000.

Thirdly, this was Sergio Marchionneā€™s dream all along: to turn Jeep into Americaā€™s Land Rover. I.e., luxurious, overpriced and, apparently, with lots of electrical problems. He just forgot to extend the basic warranty and elevate the dealer experience to match Jeepā€™s new lofty prices.

Last edited:

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
84K is not far off Mercedes G350D money. Which, is just as capable and massively more comfortable to drive. Though the G is massively less customizable. Though.. you can get portal axles for them.
I think that normal Wrangler rubicons hold their values very well. I can sell mine for about what I paid for it.
An 80k plus Wrangler would be a different story for deprecation at least where I live.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Yeah, absolutely. Just something interesting to talk about! And personally, when I'm shopping for a vehicle it's ultimately about something that will get me from point A to point B every day, with any other capability being secondary. I'm unlikely to ever take a sports car to a track/strip and very unlikely to do much, if any off-roading either. But money is always in the equation, and I'll always take into consideration any other vehicles within a given price range to make comparisons as to what best fills my particular wants/needs.

And I'll be the first to admit, that one of my most frivolous criteria is never buying a vehicle that I find boring or ugly-looking. So yeah, I'd cross-shop a Wrangler with a Porsche simply because they both have a timeless 'classic' design that will still look great a decade from now.
I think it is location dependent.
Nearly all those vehicles are not available in other markets. However, I did cross shop the Ranger Raptor. If It had the new 12 inch screen, I would have gotten the Ranger. The infotainment system they had and the hard plastics inside were deal killers for me.
I also cross shopped Land Rover, BMW and even Jaguar. People looking for a "fun" car often cast a wide net when looking. "Off roading", while nice is not always the top priority.
If the Corvette was sold here, I would have considered that as well.

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think this just shows that car have a LOT of options these days. To flip the script in another direction, you can spec a white Honda Civic to cost more than a base Willys Sport.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, well. Firstly, trucks are ā€œinā€; cars are ā€œout.ā€

Secondly, you are comparing Corvetteā€™s entry price with Wranglerā€™s top price. Wrangler still starts at around $30,000, and the upcoming Corvette ZO6, fully equipped, will be well in excess of $120,000.

Thirdly, this was Sergio Marchionneā€™s dream all along: to turn Jeep into Americaā€™s Land Rover. I.e., luxurious, overpriced and, apparently, with lots of electrical problems, too. He just forgot to extend the basic warranty and elevate the dealer experience to match Jeepā€™s new lofty prices.
It's not so much that I'm comparing a Vette with a Wrangler as much as I'm comparing what else you can buy for the same amount of money.

What we plunk down on Wranglers has a surprising number of alternatives. Perhaps some of which we'll never buy. I don't care to ever own an Audi Q7, but I could for what a Rubicon costs.

I love my Jeep, but we pay a lot of money for an image that Sergio has carefully cultivated very successfully merchandised. @aldo98229 :clap:

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's not so much that I'm comparing a Vette with a Wrangler as much as I'm comparing what else you can buy for the same amount of money.

What we plunk down on Wranglers has a surprising number of alternatives. Perhaps some of which we'll never buy. I don't care to ever own an Audi Q7, but I could for what a Rubicon costs.

I love my Jeep, but we pay a lot of money for an image that Sergio has carefully cultivated.
Sergio did not cultivate Jeepā€™s image, he inherited it.

Jeep design, heritage and brand reputation have been going on for 80 years. Sergio simply merchandised it better.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to see the opportunities. That, and a bit of luck.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
I was curious to see if that was true and did a quick google search.

1638545230265.png

1638545247580.png
not sure of source, but that sounds pretty generic. Especially now with prices -people getting more than they paid for 1-2 year old Jeeps.

35% for each is suspiciously similar... I looked into a bunch of different vehicles before buying the Jeep. I bought it because I think it will have better resale value over the years than other (didn't look at the Vette though, need something to haul scuba gear with

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation

I love my Jeep, but we pay a lot of money for an image that Sergio has carefully cultivated.
I think the comparison is totally reasonable. People will cross shop them.

It is also a question of what you get.
The Corvette I have only seen once in person at an auto show. It seemed to be a far higher quality vehicle than the wrangler.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep and all, but it's not exactly dripping with quality.
From missing bolts in the suspension, ridiculously poorly designed steering, shoddy welds and various other quality control issues to lack of a proper seats. (Especially the rear seats)
The Wrangler is a simple vehicle with low development costs and a huge profit margin for Jeep.
They charge 80k because people still buy it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
not sure of source, but that sounds pretty generic. Especially now with prices -people getting more than they paid for 1-2 year old Jeeps.

35% for each is suspiciously similar... I looked into a bunch of different vehicles before buying the Jeep. I bought it because I think it will have better resale value over the years than other (didn't look at the Vette though, need something to haul scuba gear with

https://caredge.com/

Picked another random car. This is accurate.

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 1638548532379

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I have been into Jeeps, since the 70's. They are still my favorite Vehicle. But if I was going to spend $82,000 for a Vehicle, which I can afford to do, it would not be a Wrangler. But each to their own..;)

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase

I just came across this website, but it has some great info. This is a really nice tool to have.

Jeep Wrangler JL I would have never thought this even 10 years ago. 1638548827367

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have been into Jeeps, since the 70's. They are still my favorite Vehicle. But if I was going to spend $82,000 for a Vehicle, which I can afford to do, it would not be a Wrangler. But each to their own..;)
Iā€™m with you.

I think for those of us who have been around for awhile, it is difficult to shake the long-held view of Wrangler as a spartan, utilitarian, affordable 4x4.