I went from Rubicon to Sport. AMA

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Can you put up a straight side shot? I have a 2 door and have been thinking about a 2" lift with 35s. I think it's the setup I'm going with just want to see how it looks
My 07 JK that I just traded had 35's with a 3" lift. Just right! My new 19 JLU on left and my 07 on the right.

phpPzFroLAM.jpg
Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Congrats on the Sport. I test drove the 8speed auto JL and it was good but I was dead set on a manual instead. I like to drive the JEEP instead of it driving me. I had an auto jk for 4 years and it took some of the fun away for me.
My 07 was an automatic, wanted a manual but have arthritis in the left foot so it didn't like the manual anymore. The automatic was awesome on the trails.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
That is not correct. I have a Rubi with 6 speed manual and the V-6 and 6th gear is NOT too tall. as a matter of fact the Rubi gets the best mileage between 40 and 55 MPH and even at 40 you can use 6th gear.....comfortably. Ill have to post a video; as there are a few forums members here to seem to believe that you have to be doing 70 or 80 to use 6th gear and that there is little to any power in 6th gear. My Rubi pulls comfortably at almost any speed above 35 while in 6th gear.
Wow, that's very interesting, I'd be curious to see what your RPMs at 45mph in 6th gear. A video would be awesome, thanks for your info.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I have a JLU Rubicon with 6-speed and I don't think 6th gear is too tall. I have the stock 285/70/17 KO2 still (and won't change). I use 6th often on the highway, even going up hills. The JLU 6-speed doesn't lug like the JK 6-speed did, though I had 3.21 gears with my old JK 6-Speed. The 4.10 axle gearing with stock tires on the Rubicon work great with the 6-speed.

If your average commute speed is about 40 mph I don't why you'd expect to get above 4th gear, that's what 4th gear is for in most manuals.

Basically I would not worry about getting a 6-speed Rubicon, in fact I highly recommend it!
I think that 6th gear is borderline with stock 33s on Rubi stock gearing, but it is all but useless on 35s.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Lurker that joined just to comment on this topic. You are not alone OP.

OP, I am a car guy and I love the enjoyment of a manual transmission.
I also, at one point did something very similar, I bought an automatic BMW 3 series years ago (thinking my wife could then drive it) and the paddles would be fun. After 2 weeks I knew I had make a huge mistake and took the financial loss to get the same car with 6MT only 3 months later, on a BMW......ouch! It was embarrassing, financially not smart, and caused tension with my wife, I actually lost sleep, but I knew I had to have the manual.

Obviously, I lost some money and ended up with a stripper to help offset the cost.
It was not nearly as nice as the car I had traded in, but it had a manual and I absolutely loved that car!!!

It was one of the best things I have ever done, it was agonizing because everyone thought I was crazy, but if you love a manual transmission it really is not that crazy. You made a mistake and now you are rectifying the mistake.

Just letting you know, you are not alone, and the entire reason I am thinking of getting a Jeep is due to the manual transmission.

As for ask you anything - As a newbie to Jeep what is the downside to a Rubicon, I never really hear the downsides only the positives?

Do you notice the sport to be more fun, due to different suspension and less off-road capability which I am sure adds weight and compromises?
Does the Sort feel faster/better paired with 6MT?

Please help a manual fan who is deciding rubi vs sport 4door......

Thanks!
Other than cost, and being overbuilt for most use cases, the Rubi doesn't have any particular downsides - it drives pretty much like other JL models. But two minor ones would include: (1) height - it is definitely taller to climb into than a Sport or a Sahara (2) flashy styling - if you are looking for understated, the hood vents and hood decals, red hooks and bigger tires will stick out a bit.

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Just installed the AEV ProCal snap to adjust the tire size. Straightforward install, nice little product.

7BADAFA5-71CA-4C04-A9D0-F7866261BF41.jpeg

CRAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Starting this thread to log my experiences with the different models. Also, to answer any questions or comparisons.

I started with a 2018 2 door Rubicon. 8spd, 8.4 screen-alpine, LED, steel bumper and a few other options. Never had an issue or concern, it was amazing. It took me everywhere I wanted to go. Nothing but praise for the auto.

29730567277_3da5d7219f_k.jpg

45462938761_b66c0ee9b9_k.jpg

My reason for switching? I love driving manual vehicles...that was the whole reason for the switch.
Why did I get a sport? This is my 4th Jeep (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports). While I love everything about a Rubicon, I never used all of the capability it offered..probably never will. That being said, if I had unlimited money I probably would still get a rubi...why not? But, it is my DD and the sport will handle all the trails I love.

I went to Chapman DCJR in Scottsdale and put in an order with Bryan Campbell (great guy). About 6 weeks later:
48375001772_9c3f7f8aa8_k.jpg

48375001377_124e107723_k.jpg

6spd, AUX switches, Alpine, Heritage tan seats, premium soft top, mopar steps, and LSD.

I also threw in the mopar 2inch lift, 315 KO2, and mopar wheels. Because I chose a sport it kept my payments the same at the end of the day.

48375001547_93f7b5569d_k.jpg

The 6spd is great and the lifted ride actually tracks straighter than my Rubi did..(so far). I was planning for some LCAs but I might not need them. I also have the AEV procal snap on order.

Lots of pics to come. In the meantime, ask me anything!
Man that is a nice ride, I love the stance. I purchased my Sport S JLU and love very minute of time I spend in it. Got stationed in Africa and had it shipped. The best choice I've made its handles Africa like a boss. I thought about the Rubi but like you I probably would never use the rock crawler goodies it comes with. I just made it mine with my own upgrades, things I like for overloading. Comfortable and does what its supposed to.

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Man that is a nice ride, I love the stance. I purchased my Sport S JLU and love very minute of time I spend in it. Got stationed in Africa and had it shipped. The best choice I've made its handles Africa like a boss. I thought about the Rubi but like you I probably would never use the rock crawler goodies it comes with. I just made it mine with my own upgrades, things I like for overloading. Comfortable and does what its supposed to.

Thank you!
It must be a blast over there!

Sponsored

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
I’m googling trying to find more info/pix of the Mopar wheels and I stubble on this! Read every post, a lot of good info from everyone. Also there’s nothing like a 2 Door Jeep w a manual trans, love it dude. Also hats off for being real about what ya need and not caring if it has a Rubicon sticker on the hood. :beer:

We just picked up a JLU Sport for the family but no way I’d ever part w my TJ manual also on 35s, just something about it can’t be beat.

Question, the shade of silver on the new Mopar wheels, is it darker or the same as your factory wheels that came on it?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I’m googling trying to find more info/pix of the Mopar wheels and I stubble on this! Read every post, a lot of good info from everyone. Also there’s nothing like a 2 Door Jeep w a manual trans, love it dude. Also hats off for being real about what ya need and not caring if it has a Rubicon sticker on the hood. :beer:

We just picked up a JLU Sport for the family but no way I’d ever part w my TJ manual also on 35s, just something about it can’t be beat.

Question, the shade of silver on the new Mopar wheels, is it darker or the same as your factory wheels that came on it?

Thanks

The mopar wheels are darker than the stock sport silver. About the same as the rubicon, just more of a matte finish compared.

hankinnd

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Chris,

Something just strikes me about this JL, it's flat-out bad-arse! Love the color/rim combo, the lift, etc. Any further mods, I know the thread is old but ???

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
You are a unicorn. Very very very few people switch from the 8 speed auto to a manual. 999/1000 say, once driven, "OMG. The auto is SO nice!"
I also went from auto to manual on the JL.

No regrets except:
1. A little bit pissed about the manual transmission safety recall due to the clutch assembly.
2. Had to get used to the first gear - easy to stall when starting from dead stop. I think the bite point is a little bit off compared to other manuals I have driven all my life.
3. Wish the auto start stop was through the brakes and not the clutch.

Many people complain about lack of power compared to the 8 speed. Having driven both, I didn't see an issue. My trick is to shift at no less than 3000 RPM and not let the RPMs fall below 2200 in any gear when cruising. Maybe consuming a little more fuel but heck, I didn't buy a Jeep to save on gas anyway. :)

And pssst...and I don't have to share my Jeep with the wife who can only drive an auto.
Sponsored