I went from Rubicon to Sport. AMA

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Starting this thread to log my experiences with the different models. Also, to answer any questions or comparisons.

I started with a 2018 2 door Rubicon. 8spd, 8.4 screen-alpine, LED, steel bumper and a few other options. Never had an issue or concern, it was amazing. It took me everywhere I wanted to go. Nothing but praise for the auto.

29730567277_3da5d7219f_k.jpg

45462938761_b66c0ee9b9_k.jpg

My reason for switching? I love driving manual vehicles...that was the whole reason for the switch.
Why did I get a sport? This is my 4th Jeep (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports). While I love everything about a Rubicon, I never used all of the capability it offered..probably never will. That being said, if I had unlimited money I probably would still get a rubi...why not? But, it is my DD and the sport will handle all the trails I love.

I went to Chapman DCJR in Scottsdale and put in an order with Bryan Campbell (great guy). About 6 weeks later:
48375001772_9c3f7f8aa8_k.jpg

48375001377_124e107723_k.jpg

6spd, AUX switches, Alpine, Heritage tan seats, premium soft top, mopar steps, and LSD.

I also threw in the mopar 2inch lift, 315 KO2, and mopar wheels. Because I chose a sport it kept my payments the same at the end of the day.

48375001547_93f7b5569d_k.jpg

The 6spd is great and the lifted ride actually tracks straighter than my Rubi did..(so far). I was planning for some LCAs but I might not need them. I also have the AEV procal snap on order.

Lots of pics to come. In the meantime, ask me anything!
Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Was the Rubicon with the 3.6?

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Rubi was a 3.6

Brett: 77072494AB. I'm going for a more retro look, one of the few silver wheels I actually like!

Sponsored

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
How was your gas mileage? Was it your daily driver?
My only vehicle! Around the city 14.5-15. Trips out to the trails about 16-17. Typically I either have the top off or the AC blasting here in Arizona, so that didn't help..

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you went to a significantly cheaper vehicle yet your payments remain the same? ouch. i know you added the lift, wheels and tires but still....

why didnt you just buy a 6spd Rubi in the first place?

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
you went to a significantly cheaper vehicle yet your payments remain the same? ouch. i know you added the lift, wheels and tires but still....

Probably because of the 8%+ car sales tax here in AZ ontop of the $1500 destination fee lol

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport

MSRP wasn't drastically different. Cheaper model but more options and additions. Finding a soft top, 6 speed, 2 door Rubicon, in the wild isn't easy. I decided not to order and I settled for the more practical choice with the Auto. I tried to convince myself.. and on paper it still seems like the better choice. But after experiencing how it fits into my day to day life, I knew I could be happier.

Edit: I also wanted to make the switch before I dumped more money into the build. Now THAT is something I would have regretted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
You are a unicorn. Very very very few people switch from the 8 speed auto to a manual. 999/1000 say, once driven, "OMG. The auto is SO nice!"
Thats why I made the thread lol. I do LOVE the auto. But I enjoy rowing the gears and throwing in some heel toe.. even in a heavy jeep :CWL:.

FiveMagics

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta (Used to have an ‘03 TJ, awaiting opportunity to get a JL)
Would definitely like to hear more about how the manual drives with the 35s and 3.45 gears, both on and off road.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
My only vehicle! Around the city 14.5-15. Trips out to the trails about 16-17. Typically I either have the top off or the AC blasting here in Arizona, so that didn't help..
Yikes, I would have expected better. I was considering the manual in a Rubicon, but all the research indicates that 6th gear is too TALL, my commute consists of 43 miles one way at an average speed of 40mph. In that case, I'd never get out of 3-4 gears. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Would definitely like to hear more about how the manual drives with the 35s and 3.45 gears, both on and off road.
Better than I thought. Ill be doing more testing soon on the HWY and trails (its too damn hot to go out to the desert tight now).

Right now I can pop into 4th on the 45mph roads, low rpm. Definitely interesting gearing, as expected. **I will say that braking is my concern right now. Sport brakes + 35's..I definitely need to get on them. But for cruising around I typically engine brake anyway.
Sponsored