Sponsored

I went from Rubicon to Sport. AMA

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a 2003 Rubi auto with LSD, no Elect Disco no trac control, to a Sport with HT window tint and AC. Not disappointed. Never needed used the lockers much. The BLD works nicely with some practice. Have gone same places the Rubicon would go. Clearance is about the same with 2.5 OME lift on the TJ and 2" spacer's on the Sport. The JL drive train is tucked up in the frame more than the TJ. The interior is much nicer on the JL as well and the JL has more fender well space.

2003to2018.jpg
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I went from a 2003 Rubi auto with LSD, no Elect Disco no trac control, to a Sport with HT window tint and AC. Not disappointed. Never needed used the lockers much. The BLD works nicely with some practice. Have gone same places the Rubicon would go. Clearance is about the same with 2.5 OME lift on the TJ and 2" spacer's on the Sport. The JL drive train is tucked up in the frame more than the TJ. The interior is much nicer on the JL as well and the JL has more fender well space.

2003to2018.jpg
The 17 year old TJ looks like new and in mint condition!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 17 year old TJ looks like new and in mint condition!
It had the original exhaust system still on it (though the muffler was starting to come apart along the seams), and 174,000 miles. One front u joint replaced, and new axle seals at around 100,000 miles. The windshield was changed so many times and not sealed correctly. There was a big hole where the windshield frame rusted thru from the inside above the passenger side dash Lol. Needed some rehab for a rust hole in the driver side top of fender too. But yea it held up pretty well for 17 years in Maine winter salt.

theice44

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2Dr Rubicon, Bikini Pearl + Dark Saddle&6 Speed Manual. Written off 2Dr JK Altitude Edition
Good choice. I factory ordered mine and triple checked that it was ordered with the manual transmission. My '18 JK was my first manual transmission vehicle I bought new and I feel it was taken from me too early in an accident that was 0% my fault. It was a long wait, but I also wanted to have the 2 door bikini pearl with the dark saddle interior to make it more of a unicorn and because I like the colour combo.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad I got a Sport JL and not a Rubi. I’ve been upgrading it slowly in the 8 months I’ve had it, with the money I saved. And, as my Rubicon brothers on this site can attest to, I’ve negotiated the same obstacles they have, or tried to ;) , without lockers. BLD and LSD have been sufficient for my skill set. If I ever get stuck, I always have my winch!

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally shopping for a 2 dr Rubicon..........Then found a new Sport on a lot with dealer added lift, wheels, tires, lites and running boards that looked pretty sweet/beefy compared to a stock Sport. Started thinking that most of the off roading I have done, I rarely used lockers.......so maybe this will do. The last Jeep was a 2003 Rubi and I did not realize all the tech updates since then on JK's and JL's. Was pleasantly surprised when I discovered my Sport had this new thing called BLD and it has worked fine for me so far. The 8 speed Auto is nice. My first YJ and many base models never even came with tow hooks on them. When you come from 30 years of owning Wranglers the JL Sport offers a lot for a base model. Its all about perspective. I think the JL is much nicer in many ways than the First year Rubicon I had so going Sport instead of Rubicon was still quite an upgrade from that.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I loved the Rubi. Drove a Rubi 2L 4 banger...awesome. Paired with an 8spd, obvi. It felt much quicker than the 3.6 L. But went with the Sport S, 3.6 L with 6 sp b/c as much as I loved the Rubi, I’d never use it’s OR capability. Also, Rubi is $52K?!! The fact is all Wranglers are extraordinarily capable. And a Sport was plenty. But I needed a/c, so I had to add the “S.” I go off-pavement, sometimes...but never rock crawling. My Jeep is a DD...can’t afford (time or money) costly repairs. But i did immediately added 34” Nitto Terra Grapplers. And I knew I was going to customize it. Gonna add an exhaust and maybe a CAI next. Bottom line is I love what I got. I also love Rubi’s, but my Jeep fits me. Glad you got what you want. That’s all that matters. Enjoy it!!!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I loved the Rubi. Drove a Rubi 2L 4 banger...awesome. Paired with an 8spd, obvi. It felt much quicker than the 3.6 L. But went with the Sport S, 3.6 L with 6 sp b/c as much as I loved the Rubi, I’d never use it’s OR capability. Also, Rubi is $52K?!! The fact is all Wranglers are extraordinarily capable. And a Sport was plenty. But I needed a/c, so I had to add the “S.” I go off-pavement, sometimes...but never rock crawling. My Jeep is a DD...can’t afford (time or money) costly repairs. But i did immediately added 34” Nitto Terra Grapplers. And I knew I was going to customize it. Gonna add an exhaust and maybe a CAI next. Bottom line is I love what I got. I also love Rubi’s, but my Jeep fits me. Glad you got what you want. That’s all that matters. Enjoy it!!!
That’s so weird to me down here in FL. I have a Sport with AC, LSD, and a few other things. FCA does not sell ANY Jeep down here without AC. You don’t have to ask for that option. Attached is my window sticker. It shows AC as a standard feature, not optional. By the way, don’t pay much attention to the MSRP; I got it last year in July for 21% off MSRP.

767D7158-578A-4DB3-A279-D0EB21DAB15C.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
I've also gone from a Rubicon to a Sport S.

Rubicon was a 2004 TJ, dark blue. Only mods I did were a 2.5" suspension lift, quick disconnect, and 33" tires.

Picked up my 2020 JLU Sport S Diesel (also dark blue) 3 weeks ago. Yes the Diesel is an expensive add, but the only things a Rubicon would have upgraded past what the Diesel option gives you is the lockers, sway bar disconnect, lift, and armor.

I maybe used the lockers on my Rubicon 5 times total, and all 5 I could have gotten by with just engaging my brain without them so didn't see the need to get it this time around. The armor is easy as hell to install over a weekend as well as a quick disconnect should I want one. As for the lift, I honestly don't see myself doing anything but a leveling kit since I'm planning on only mounting 295/70/17's which will fit under the stock suspension just fine.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
That’s so weird to me down here in FL. I have a Sport with AC, LSD, and a few other things. FCA does not sell ANY Jeep down here without AC. You don’t have to ask for that option. Attached is my window sticker. It shows AC as a standard feature, not optional. By the way, don’t pay much attention to the MSRP; I got it last year in July for 21% off MSRP.

Jeep Wrangler JL I went from Rubicon to Sport. AMA 767D7158-578A-4DB3-A279-D0EB21DAB15C
Yours is an unlimited wrangler. The 2 door sport does not come standard with a/c. You have to add a/c to the base sport 2 door. Guessing they figure most will just upgrade to the sport S at that point due to the cost difference. Then you can add even more options and make that $30k wrangler a $35k wrangler. lol

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
My last Jeep was a '14 JKU Rubicon I bought off the lot. Didn't want the soft top, had to pay extra $$$ down the road to swap to hard top. This time I did a custom order for a JLU Sport with the exact options I wanted. I went with a Sport this time because of 2 basic reasons. I used the lockers exactly 1 time during the ownership of my previous rig, and the sway bar disconnect never, so didn't need that feature. 2nd reason is the Rubicon suspension is a moot point to me since I will build my rig anyway and replace all the suspension parts.

I don't do anything crazy in the offroad arena that the M220 LSD in 4LO won't be able to handle.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Yours is an unlimited wrangler. The 2 door sport does not come standard with a/c. You have to add a/c to the base sport 2 door. Guessing they figure most will just upgrade to the sport S at that point due to the cost difference. Then you can add even more options and make that $30k wrangler a $35k wrangler. lol
You're right...and I'm an idiot. HA! Actually, I didn't realize that the options would be different from JL to JLU. I went to the dealership to get a 2-door. But came away with a 4-door because i have a fam of 4 and a dog. (still love the 2-door...such an original, nothing like it).

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My “ah-ha!” moment for this morning! Thanks!
Sponsored