cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Update:

So far I don't mind the gearing at all. Offroad it will be a bit tough to manage on steep crawling. Around the city/highway no issues so far.
The mopar lift actually feels great. It is tracking better on the highway then my rubi ever did. Im pretty surprised..

The clutch is very light, like a feather. I kind of like it though, especially after leg day.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You are a unicorn. Very very very few people switch from the 8 speed auto to a manual. 999/1000 say, once driven, "OMG. The auto is SO nice!"
Agreed. I'm a big manual guy that went auto and was wow'd by it. The rubicon with all the added strength and capability is a home run.

But whatever makes the OP happy is the deal for him. I dont get it but it's not for me to get.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Starting this thread to log my experiences with the different models. Also, to answer any questions or comparisons.

I started with a 2018 2 door Rubicon. 8spd, 8.4 screen-alpine, LED, steel bumper and a few other options. Never had an issue or concern, it was amazing. It took me everywhere I wanted to go. Nothing but praise for the auto.

29730567277_3da5d7219f_k.jpg

45462938761_b66c0ee9b9_k.jpg

My reason for switching? I love driving manual vehicles...that was the whole reason for the switch.
Why did I get a sport? This is my 4th Jeep (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports). While I love everything about a Rubicon, I never used all of the capability it offered..probably never will. That being said, if I had unlimited money I probably would still get a rubi...why not? But, it is my DD and the sport will handle all the trails I love.

I went to Chapman DCJR in Scottsdale and put in an order with Bryan Campbell (great guy). About 6 weeks later:
48375001772_9c3f7f8aa8_k.jpg

48375001377_124e107723_k.jpg

6spd, AUX switches, Alpine, Heritage tan seats, premium soft top, mopar steps, and LSD.

I also threw in the mopar 2inch lift, 315 KO2, and mopar wheels. Because I chose a sport it kept my payments the same at the end of the day.

48375001547_93f7b5569d_k.jpg

The 6spd is great and the lifted ride actually tracks straighter than my Rubi did..(so far). I was planning for some LCAs but I might not need them. I also have the AEV procal snap on order.

Lots of pics to come. In the meantime, ask me anything!
Honestly, this might be the best post in the history of this site, in my opinion. The reason is because instead of getting a jeep with capabilities that he'd never use to show off the exterior, he got a jeep that he needed.

You sir, win my vote for the day.

P.s. that sport looks awesome!

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Honestly, this might be the best post in the history of this site, in my opinion. The reason is because instead of getting a jeep with capabilities that he'd never use to show off the exterior, he got a jeep that he needed.

You sir, win my vote for the day.

P.s. that sport looks awesome!
Thanks, I appreciate it! Although I did originally get something a little over kill lol.... Nothing wrong with that.

I’m just hoping to give an alternative example for members. This forum is great because you can learn from other people’s experiences. Even if it is a rubi heavy place!

The best Jeep is the one that creates lifetime memories. Mine will happen on road and offroad.

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
Starting this thread to log my experiences with the different models. Also, to answer any questions or comparisons.

I started with a 2018 2 door Rubicon. 8spd, 8.4 screen-alpine, LED, steel bumper and a few other options. Never had an issue or concern, it was amazing. It took me everywhere I wanted to go. Nothing but praise for the auto.

29730567277_3da5d7219f_k.jpg

45462938761_b66c0ee9b9_k.jpg

My reason for switching? I love driving manual vehicles...that was the whole reason for the switch.
Why did I get a sport? This is my 4th Jeep (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports). While I love everything about a Rubicon, I never used all of the capability it offered..probably never will. That being said, if I had unlimited money I probably would still get a rubi...why not? But, it is my DD and the sport will handle all the trails I love.

I went to Chapman DCJR in Scottsdale and put in an order with Bryan Campbell (great guy). About 6 weeks later:
48375001772_9c3f7f8aa8_k.jpg

48375001377_124e107723_k.jpg

VERY NICE!

Got a nice Rubicon... but...

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Few questions actually.

1. How's it feel going from 4:10 to 3:45?
  2. Since you didn't need all the stuff the Rubi offered, is there anything you wish the sport had?
  3. Notice the LSD when driving it? I wouldn't get one w/out it, but might as well ask
  4. It's been almost a week, feeling any sort of regret about not getting another Rubi or no?
That's it really, if I weren't working, I'd check to see if you answered, but you know how it is

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
the new sport looks dope. nice work. when I first started reaching i couldn't help but think that would be a tough transition but after seeing the upgrades you did, it looks super cool and fits better for the daily. nice job.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I needed a four door, couldn’t find one setup like my Sahara. Much prefer a manual, but got the 8 speed. Plus no way would I keep a modern auto trans car once the warranty has expired, so I’ll keep it until then.

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Few questions actually.

1. How's it feel going from 4:10 to 3:45?
  2. Since you didn't need all the stuff the Rubi offered, is there anything you wish the sport had?
  3. Notice the LSD when driving it? I wouldn't get one w/out it, but might as well ask
  4. It's been almost a week, feeling any sort of regret about not getting another Rubi or no?
That's it really, if I weren't working, I'd check to see if you answered, but you know how it is
1. The differences are hard to tell, since I jumped to manual with bigger tires and a lift. What I didn’t like about the auto 4:10 is it was always jumping around to different gears. I like having control and being able to select my gear accordingly. For that reason I don’t notice much of a difference. For slow Offroad crawling I will notice a change 100%. I will just have to be a bit more cautious/skilled I guess.
2. Electronic disco because I’m lazy. Led lights I realllllly miss. Other than those things nothing really bothers me.
3. So far I haven’t. I will let you know after I get some weather here or head to the trails.
4. It’s always cool having a rubi because it’s the best of the best. But I have absolutely no regrets about the manual or sport (so far). I’m a little scared of getting the tan seats dirty for the first time. But I knew I would feel that way before I ordered them.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Yikes, I would have expected better. I was considering the manual in a Rubicon, but all the research indicates that 6th gear is too TALL, my commute consists of 43 miles one way at an average speed of 40mph. In that case, I'd never get out of 3-4 gears. Any thoughts?
That is not correct. I have a Rubi with 6 speed manual and the V-6 and 6th gear is NOT too tall. as a matter of fact the Rubi gets the best mileage between 40 and 55 MPH and even at 40 you can use 6th gear.....comfortably. Ill have to post a video; as there are a few forums members here to seem to believe that you have to be doing 70 or 80 to use 6th gear and that there is little to any power in 6th gear. My Rubi pulls comfortably at almost any speed above 35 while in 6th gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I had a 2011 Rubicon 6spd. I still look for the clutch (no dead pedal), and grab the shifter at the red light...she is missed.
I always had my hand on the shifter. Sometimes I would accidentally knock it into manual mode.

Pygmypoacher

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 4D
Can you put up a straight side shot? I have a 2 door and have been thinking about a 2" lift with 35s. I think it's the setup I'm going with just want to see how it looks
2018 JLU Sport. Mopar 2" lift (more like 3"), 18" black rhino wheels with 35's. Steering got wiggly after the lift while on factory 31's. I installed the lower control arm drop brackets. Now with 35's it rides as nice as non - lifted stock.

20190711_202721(1).jpg

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Yikes, I would have expected better. I was considering the manual in a Rubicon, but all the research indicates that 6th gear is too TALL, my commute consists of 43 miles one way at an average speed of 40mph. In that case, I'd never get out of 3-4 gears. Any thoughts?
I have had both the manual and automatic. Better mileage with 8 speed auto than the 6 speed. I averaged 19 mpg with manual and 20 mpg with auto. Both Rubicons JLURs 3.6L.
No issues driving the 6th gear on Hwy 215. At 65-70 mph, i get 2100 to 2200 rpm. Everything stock.