Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Hey there! AZ neighbor over here in Gilbert :) Glad to see you went with what you wanted!

I get it! I had a ‘17 JKUR which I returned under a lemon law case. I test drove all variations of the JL. As much as I wanted to order a stripped Rubicon 6-speed, I chose an ‘18 JLUSS with 6-speed, limited slip, tow pkg, hard top, upgraded screen and audio, and have added some mods I really am enjoying. The Rubi would have had a lot of nice features, particularly for off roading, but I couldn’t afford the tires/lift/wheels I wanted. Truthfully, as much as I enjoy wheeling, 90% of my driving is city and highway. With the $ I saved I added the Mopar lift, new wheels and 35” tires (which I love, but am definitely thinking about regearing-once I have some more $) and a vinyl wrap (which I love, but actually liked the black too). I am super happy with the look (MUCH more than my Rubi), & love the ride, just wishing the low end of 1st and 2nd was a bit more responsive- but 3&4 are good and where I spend most of my time, even on the freeway! It’s definitely capable of tackling most trails I’m up for, and did great on Broken Arrow a few weeks ago :).

Enjoy your Jeep! The personalization and fit for each of our lifestyle is what makes them such fun! Maybe I’ll see you on the trails one of these days (and I agree, can’t wait for some cooler weather!)

74A5DE4A-21D8-42D9-A1B2-1671ECCD2E6A.jpeg
Sponsored

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Beautiful Jeep OP

Had a 13' manual JK and prior to the JL a manual F80 M3, will always understand the need for a 3rd pedal.

Only option here was an Auto, no manual Jeeps!

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Hey there! AZ neighbor over here in Gilbert :) Glad to see you went with what you wanted!

I get it! I had a ‘17 JKUR which I returned under a lemon law case. I test drove all variations of the JL. As much as I wanted to order a stripped Rubicon 6-speed, I chose an ‘18 JLUSS with 6-speed, limited slip, tow pkg, hard top, upgraded screen and audio, and have added some mods I really am enjoying. The Rubi would have had a lot of nice features, particularly for off roading, but I couldn’t afford the tires/lift/wheels I wanted. Truthfully, as much as I enjoy wheeling, 90% of my driving is city and highway. With the $ I saved I added the Mopar lift, new wheels and 35” tires (which I love, but am definitely thinking about regearing-once I have some more $) and a vinyl wrap (which I love, but actually liked the black too). I am super happy with the look (MUCH more than my Rubi), & love the ride, just wishing the low end of 1st and 2nd was a bit more responsive- but 3&4 are good and where I spend most of my time, even on the freeway! It’s definitely capable of tackling most trails I’m up for, and did great on Broken Arrow a few weeks ago :).

Enjoy your Jeep! The personalization and fit for each of our lifestyle is what makes them such fun! Maybe I’ll see you on the trails one of these days (and I agree, can’t wait for some cooler weather!)

Gf's family is in Gilbert so I'm there often. Ill keep a look out for you! Hard to miss with that great wrap!

So far I'm liking the gearing for the roads around here. At this point I'm pretty used to the 3.6l so I guess I'm used to no low end. Trails should be interesting though... Definitely will have to stay in 1st or 4low now. We'll see how it responds. I go to a lot of the same areas around four peaks so I should have a pretty accurate comparison. JKUR stock vs lifted vs JLR stock vs JL lifted... Its cool to take the same lines and see how each responds.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned a Rubicon in the past, a '13 JKU, and found that it was an overkill for the type of off-roading which I liked to do in the mountains of the North Cascades. I eventually traded it in for a '14 Jeep Willy's.

The Rubicon is designed for heavy off-roading/climbing, which includes the Front and Rear Electric Lockers, which only work in 4Lo, the Disconnecting Sway Bars, only needed when you need the maximum amount of wheel travel, for heavy off-road climbing, the Low 4:1 (4Lo) Transfer Case, for the maximum amount of torque to the ground when climbing. Then there's the Heavy Duty Axles, again added for the heavy climbing.

Outside of those, the Rubicon also comes w/4.10 axle gearing, which is nice for the over all power to the ground in all situations, and especially helps if one wants to add bigger wheels/tires, but then again, a 3.73 used to be offered as an option for the other models, which I wish they still offered, because the 3.45 is just too high a gearing in my opinion, not allowing enough torque to the ground, even w/standard wheels/tires.

Outside of that, the standard Sport model will do everything else just fine, at less cost. The only option I certain recommend, is the Limited-Slip Differential together w/the purchase of a Winch and bumper. The Heavy -Duty Electrical/Towing, if you plan to add a winch, lights, and tow a trailer. Everything else, like an automatic transmission, the 3.6L V6 vs. the 2.0L I4, the JL vs. the JLU, a hard-top, tinted windows, and entertainment systems, are personal tastes.

I've met people who buy Jeeps because they simply look cool, especially Rubicon's, w/some even adding lift kits and over sized knobby tires, which will never see the light of day off-road. I guess it's their money, but these are the kinds of people who tend to complain about the Jeep being unrefined, including riding hard on pavements, and being noisy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
@GoHack

I will definitely miss electronic sway bar disco and LED lights. I did get AUX/tow/LSD. Ill add some led cubes for going out to the desert at night when the weather cools down. Winch would be cool but typically I'm not with other vehicles or around anything to winch off of. Not trying to carry an anchor! So that will be a later mod. Ill keep my eye on the AEV bumpers, at this rate I should have lots of time to save up for that lol.

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
@elduderino83

It's a great set up! No complaints..so far. I'd say the only downside is the height. Right now 80 inches to the top of the antenna. The soft top sits a bit below that. I've self-banished myself from a few parking garages! Hopefully the lift settles a bit. I can always take the top down too to lose a few inches.

OP
OP
cktlarge

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Yikes, I would have expected better. I was considering the manual in a Rubicon, but all the research indicates that 6th gear is too TALL, my commute consists of 43 miles one way at an average speed of 40mph. In that case, I'd never get out of 3-4 gears. Any thoughts?
That really wouldn't bother me, there is no negative effect on the vehicle if you do not engage the higher gears. I live in Toronto where traffic moves often at walking pace and I couldn't care less. I enjoy driving manual . BE A MAN AMONG MEN - DRIVE MANUAL and yes if you are a woman put on a smile and try to drive a stick

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
That really wouldn't bother me, there is no negative effect on the vehicle if you do not engage the higher gears. I live in Toronto where traffic moves often at walking pace and I couldn't care less. I enjoy driving manual . BE A MAN AMONG MEN - DRIVE MANUAL and yes if you are a woman put on a smile and try to drive a stick
Negative effect? Nah, more concerned about gas mileage. FYI-My VW GTI 6spd MANUAL has 284,000 miles on the original clutch, I think I know all about driving a manual. Thanks again for the reply.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I have a 2dr Rubi 6sp. It’s my DD. 60 miles round trip of stop and go. I average 18-19 mpg. Cruising on the highway I get 20-22.

That said, I didn’t buy a wrangler for fuel economy...

6th gear is just a second overdrive. I use it every time I’m on the highway. If I need power I drop to 4th. No complaints.
Awesome, thanks for the reply...

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Negative effect? Nah, more concerned about gas mileage. FYI-My VW GTI 6spd MANUAL has 284,000 miles on the original clutch, I think I know all about driving a manual. Thanks again for the reply.
yes , I understand but honestly anybody concerned with gas mileage probably shouldn't be driving a 4000 pounds Wrangler and the 4th gear is nice stretches well into 40 - 50 mph even more , I wouldn't worry about it, just get one otherwise it will be consuming you for eternity

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
yes , I understand but honestly anybody concerned with gas mileage probably shouldn't be driving a 4000 pounds Wrangler and the 4th gear is nice stretches well into 40 - 50 mph even more , I wouldn't worry about it, just get one otherwise it will be consuming you for eternity
Thanks, just trying to get a comparison to what I drive now and my driving habits. I currently own a '17 Tacoma with AT, the two things I can't stand about my truck, the AT and the uncomfortable seating position.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392

That wrap and the rest.. awesome looking Jeep!
Sponsored