I went ahead and did it...Traded in my JL Sport for a JL Rubicon

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Ouch so the JL isn't holding value like the JK and its predecessors.
22% loss isn't too bad (average on a 1 y/o vehicle is 20-30). And this is on a vehicle known to have issues...

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
22% loss isn't too bad (average on a 1 y/o vehicle is 20-30). And this is on a vehicle known to have issues...
On the JK people were trading them in for close to what they paid for it a year prior. Maybe a 2k hit.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Of course the resale isnā€™t going to be great when dealers are selling them new for 12%+ off sticker. Itā€™ll stabilize eventually, but values are going to be in the crapper when you can get such good deals on new ones.

Ouch so the JL isn't holding value like the JK and its predecessors.

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I've been a Jeep owner for over a decade and grew up with them.
My previous 2003 TJ Wrangler X was stolen April 2018.
I owned it for twelve years before she was taken away from me.
Probably pulling a cart down in Mexico

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Okay, please forgive me on this as I don't mean any disrespect. You said "thousands of dollars wasted" on a the JL Sport so you traded on a Rubicon so you could save money?

You just lost 8k on a trade-in, and now deeper in the hole with the Rubicon with "I got the bare bones Rubi, no LED package, fancy display, or any other of those add-on's." Basically you just got a souped up sport. Why in the world would you get a Rubicon while your sport was under warranty (if you were having all of these problems) Are you sure that the 'money wasted' was on the JL sport? it seems like the money wasted was on the Rubicon.

Again, I don't mean this to start an argument but that didn't make any sense at all. We are Jeep family here so be nice on the responses. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Okay, please forgive me on this as I don't mean any disrespect. You said "thousands of dollars wasted" on a the JL Sport so you traded on a Rubicon so you could save money?

You just lost 8k on a trade-in, and now deeper in the hole with the Rubicon with "I got the bare bones Rubi, no LED package, fancy display, or any other of those add-on's." Basically you just got a souped up sport. Why in the world would you get a Rubicon while your sport was under warranty (if you were having all of these problems) Are you sure that the 'money wasted' was on the JL sport? it seems like the money wasted was on the Rubicon.

Again, I don't mean this to start an argument but that didn't make any sense at all. We are Jeep family here so be nice on the responses. :)
My intent was to buy a base Sport in which I did and modify it to meet my needs and be just as capable as a Rubicon. Which is exactly what I did with my previous TJ.
However, with all of the problems that I was having and the dealer and CORPORATE not being cooperative, I decided to just get rid of it.

Trust me, if I didn't have problems with my Sport I would still be driving it today. However, the Rubicon is so much a better vehicle.

Honestly, I don't think that I lost that much money. Obviously, a Rubicon cost much more than a Sport.
My only loss was just under $2,000 for the tires and wheels in which I installed. I managed to earn $800 selling my stock Sport wheels.
I removed my Rubicon steel bumper off my Sport (luckily I didn't trash the stock one) and reinstalled on the Rubi.
My Alien sunshade swapped over, same 2DR Jeep.
My biggest loss was just with the trade-in. That was expected.

So, having a Jeep in and out of the dealer shop is not what I call enjoying my Jeep.

Upgrading axles would have set me back $5000 at least.
Upgrading the front steering another $1000.
Suspension/lift anywhere from $500-$1500.

And...ā€¦..After these modifications they would not warranty the vehicle (quoted from the dealer).

At the end of the day, I would have still been left with just a Sport.

For now I'm enjoying my new Rubicon!!!!

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
My intent was to buy a base Sport in which I did and modify it to meet my needs and be just as capable as a Rubicon. Which is exactly what I did with my previous TJ.
However, with all of the problems that I was having and the dealer and CORPORATE not being cooperative, I decided to just get rid of it.

Trust me, if I didn't have problems with my Sport I would still be driving it today. However, the Rubicon is so much a better vehicle.

Honestly, I don't think that I lost that much money. Obviously, a Rubicon cost much more than a Sport.
My only loss was just under $2,000 for the tires and wheels in which I installed. I managed to earn $800 selling my stock Sport wheels.
I removed my Rubicon steel bumper off my Sport (luckily I didn't trash the stock one) and reinstalled on the Rubi.
My Alien sunshade swapped over, same 2DR Jeep.
My biggest loss was just with the trade-in. That was expected.

So, having a Jeep in and out of the dealer shop is not what I call enjoying my Jeep.

Upgrading axles would have set me back $5000 at least.
Upgrading the front steering another $1000.
Suspension/lift anywhere from $500-$1500.

And...ā€¦..After these modifications they would not warranty the vehicle (quoted from the dealer).

At the end of the day, I would have still been left with just a Sport.

For now I'm enjoying my new Rubicon!!!!

You lost 8k on your trade, and probably gonna lose another 8k driving that Rubicon off the lot. 16k is still way more than what you just described.

I guess for those who have other than Rubicon, we will just have to enjoy our big ol pile of poopy in our own special ways!

upload_2019-5-30_11-25-18.png

Mnsparreno

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S- Sting Gray
Occupation
Information Technology
Here you go.....

Just need to reinstall my Rubicon Steel bumper and alien shade.

IMG_5564 (1).jpg
That's awesome man!! I thought about trading in my Sport S for a Rubi as well. But I'm so far upside down. I guess I'll give it time.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'll wait for the 80th anniversary edition, then I'll trade in my hubby's 17JKU Sport S:like:
Sponsored