Sponsored

I was so happy until I saw this puddle

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
I took delivery of my Wrangler JL on Friday 2/2. I immediately fell in love! I had traded my 2015 JK, but was hesitant because she'd been so good to me. On Monday 2/5, I came out to find a puddle under my JL - I suspect it's transfer case fluid. It doesn't smell like oil, but it's viscous like oil. It has a real funky smell, sort of bitter. Heading to the dealer today, but I'm really unhappy. I don't want a Jeep that starts out with transmission issues...

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Marking its spot?

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
LOL! I wish it were that easy. Sadly, my Jeep is in the shop with a transmission issue. I failed inspection yesterday because of the leak and had it towed to the dealer. The tow driver had a hard time getting it into reverse, but we got it there. The undercarriage was soaked with transmission fluid. Not something I'd expect of a Jeep wtih 200 miles on it.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
That sucks. Keep us posted.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transmission pan gasket failed. They're fixing it, but I'm never going to trust that there wasn't damage to the transmission. When the tow truck driver fought to get it into reverse, it made one of those sounds that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Service department tells me there's a "safety mode" that keeps the vehicle from going into gear if the fluid get too low. Do any of you know anything about this?

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I’d be pushing extremely hard for a replacement or even better a free lifetime warranty, 200 miles, bad noises... no thanks... I’d want something.... be polite but persistent...make sure Chrysler is involved.

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be pushing extremely hard for a replacement or even better a free lifetime warranty, 200 miles, bad noises... no thanks... I’d want something.... be polite but persistent...make sure Chrysler is involved.
They're refusing a replacement. That would be my solution of choice. They say they can't do that. They've offered to extend my 5yr/60K bumper to bumper warranty to 7yr/100K bumper to bumper. Still doesn't make it right to me. I'll never trust this transmission and I've totally lost that great feeling you get when you get a new Jeep.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
They're refusing a replacement. That would be my solution of choice. They say they can't do that. They've offered to extend my 5yr/60K bumper to bumper warranty to 7yr/100K bumper to bumper. Still doesn't make it right to me. I'll never trust this transmission and I've totally lost that great feeling you get when you get a new Jeep.
Why not push for the lifetime warranty that you would normally have an option to purchase, this would actually cover more then just your transmission, it would be a win win as far as I’m concerned... I’d be fighting for that and not easily giving up.... make sure Chrysler is involved.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Did you notice it shifting weird before you parked it?

OP
OP

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you notice it shifting weird before you parked it?
Once or twice it seemed like it was straining to shift as I accelerated, with higher RPM''s than I was used to with my JK, but I didn't think much of it. And that may have been nothing... I just assumed it was a new vehicle, different than my last. And after all, it was brand spanking new. I never imagined I'd have transmission issues.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sorry to hear that.

Damn thing doesn't even have a dip stick to check the fluid level!

Have you found any similar transmission stories on the internet for other FCA products? It's a fairly common tranny I believe unless the JL 8-speed is spec'd different from the other FCA line up.

My 2017 Honda Accord had a seepage leak between the CVT and engine. I first noticed it after my first oil change @ 10k miles. Come to find out it's a very common problem with the 9th gen Accords. I cleaned it up and will check it again at my next oil change. It too does not have a dipstick, but it does have an easy to access fill hole where I can insert a self-made dip stick to check the fluid.
Sponsored