Sponsored

I was pretty excited to drive home tonight...

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
...even though the weather is gross, super wet and 37 degrees. It sounds stupid as I like the sunshine and heat, but but I enjoyed ripping the manual JLUR up and down the hills in hard rain on the way home tonight... I hope you all have as much fun jeeping as I do!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love driving in the rain and hearing it fall on the soft top. I’m a dork and love splashing in the puddles, too :LOL:
I had to smile when I saw a Toyota FJ behind me swerve to run through a huge puddle a few days ago - I was sort of disappointed in myself for not doing it first - ha!

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Got to drive my new JL to work yesterday about 12 miles on unplowed roads with 6" of snow in places, it did great. Even at 45MPH, some guy had to ride my ass in a 20 year old Buick, I let him pass and hoped he didn't wad it up in those conditions...

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got to drive my new JL to work yesterday about 12 miles on unplowed roads with 6" of snow in places, it did great. Even at 45MPH, some guy had to ride my ass in a 20 year old Buick, I let him pass and hoped he didn't wad it up in those conditions...
I’m still laughing at the “wad it up” comment - I can remember watching my older relatives navigate their two wheel drive pickups through mud, snow, ice, etc., with no problems at all. I’m not nearly that good of a driver, but I think it was a lot more common back then to have to drive in bad conditions with not nearly as many capabilities or safety mechanisms. Maybe I’ll get that good one day but I doubt it - lol...

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My Fiancée was not thrilled with the way people were tailgating on Wadsworth yesterday.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My Fiancée was not thrilled with the way people were tailgating on Wadsworth yesterday.
What a coincidence, this was on Wadsworth that it happened too :) South of C470 down to Waterton was pretty deep and didn't appear to have been plowed at all...

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I remember as a kid all the cars were front engine RWD, and the pickups were all 2wd. The only 4x4’s were CJ’s, IH Scout’s, and a handful of “work” trucks. An old set of mud n snows on the back and weight (a few hundred lbs) in the bed and off you went. Neighbor hand an ancient CJ (3?)with an ugly aluminum “cab” with metal doors and sliding windows. PTO driven winch. He’d drive around pulling folks out of ditches

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I remember as a kid all the cars were front engine RWD, and the pickups were all 2wd. The only 4x4’s were CJ’s, IH Scout’s, and a handful of “work” trucks. An old set of mud n snows on the back and weight (a few hundred lbs) in the bed and off you went. Neighbor hand an ancient CJ (3?)with an ugly aluminum “cab” with metal doors and sliding windows. PTO driven winch. He’d drive around pulling folks out of ditches
Yep, in the 70s my dad always had a second set of rear snow tires (sometimes studded) for the cars and it was a ritual every fall to hoist them down out of the attic and swap them out on both cars. Then hoist up the "summer" tires until spring. That's all we had back then, RWD cars that sucked in the snow :) But we eventually got where we were going. Mostly.

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, in the 70s my dad always had a second set of rear snow tires (sometimes studded) for the cars and it was a ritual every fall to hoist them down out of the attic and swap them out on both cars. Then hoist up the "summer" tires until spring. That's all we had back then, RWD cars that sucked in the snow :) But we eventually got where we were going. Mostly.
So true - I had a great uncle who’s day job was an attorney, but he’d routinely go check on his cattle in his sedan - he’d drive it right out there and almost never got it stuck (somehow) - diffetent times back then for sure...

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I look forward to foul weather all the time now, lol.

With that said, I do find it interesting how everyone needs AWD, 4WD and all the other stuff today. When I first learned to drive we had a '68 Chevy wagon with a posi rear. With a set of snow tires that thing would go through anything those winters could throw at it! (And yes, it was also a "3 on the tree") :CWL:
Sponsored