OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Exactly how do " Federal Tax Credits " work ? Thanks in advance
buy a car for 50,000, pay 50000 (plus tax.) Come tax time, they knock 7,500 off what you owe. If you only owe 3,000, then you get a check for 4,500.
If you purchase care December 31st, you get the credit on that years taxes, so maybe 3-5 months later (when you file). If you buy January 1st, you have to wait 15-17 months for that credit.

(CORRECTION - (thank you rob529) You must have a tax liability to claim the credit, if you only owe $3,000 then you only get $3,000 in credit etc.)

Last edited:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Exactly how do " Federal Tax Credits " work ? Thanks in advance
Basically, you and I pay him for buying a new rig that may or may not be better for the environment. The irony doesn't stop there - what state is in the news more for power grid issues than 3rd world countries? California. When the grid isn't busy burning the state down and killing people, it's handing out unannounced "rolling blackouts".

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically, you and I pay him for buying a new rig that may or may not be better for the environment. The irony doesn't stop there - what state is in the news more for power grid issues than 3rd world countries? California. When the grid isn't busy burning the state down and killing people, it's handing out unannounced "rolling blackouts".
This is a federal tax credit, California no longer has a vehicle credit. Having more and more electric and alternative fuel cars on our roads is a GREAT benefit for everyone and our environment.

"we" pay our taxes to better our country not just for personal reasons. This is like the argument that people with no kids shouldn't have to pay for schools and education... having an undereducated populations hurts everyone. Having smog and reliance on fossil fuels hurts everyone.

I live in California, you live in Ohio, leave my state alone : ) I love my electric cars, powered by my solar panels.

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Got this from a Nerd Wallet article and it explains it pretty well.

And because the amount is a credit against taxes owed and not a flat rebate, your total federal income tax bill determines the final value.

For example, if you purchase a plug-in electric vehicle with a maximum federal tax credit of $7,500 and your total income tax bill that year is $8,000, you’ll get the full benefit of the $7,500 credit (and owe $500). But if your tax bill is $6,200, you’ll be able to claim only a $6,200 credit. The government won’t send you a check for the remaining $1,300 and you can’t carry it over to the next year.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/plug-vehicle-tax-credits-rebates-made-easy/

Sponsored

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And because the amount is a credit against taxes owed and not a flat rebate, your total federal income tax bill determines the final value.

For example, if you purchase a plug-in electric vehicle with a maximum federal tax credit of $7,500 and your total income tax bill that year is $8,000, you’ll get the full benefit of the $7,500 credit (and owe $500). But if your tax bill is $6,200, you’ll be able to claim only a $6,200 credit. The government won’t send you a check for the remaining $1,300 and you can’t carry it over to the next year.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/plug-vehicle-tax-credits-rebates-made-easy/

Thank you for correcting me on that, yes I see that is true; you must have a tax liability... so if you don't have it this year, then don't buy the car in December. Buy it in January and short pay your federal taxes..

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for correcting me on that, yes I see that is true, you must have a tax liability... so if you don't have it this year don't buy the car in December. Buy it in January and short pay your federal taxes..
No worries- it always confuses me so I had to double check myself. I hadn't thought about your strategy about buying in January and short paying your taxes- it makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries- it always confuses me so I had to double check myself. I hadn't thought about your strategy about buying in January and short paying your taxes- it makes perfect sense.

Go Chiefs! I grew up in KC.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Amen brother. Tesla and JK owner that would love the electric drive benefits on the Jeep. I already told my dealer to call me the moment they have order sheets.

I waited in line for my Tesla 3 years ago. See you at the dealer? I'll bring coffee.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
All of the frenzy about electric cars with a 100 year old power grid! Instead of California spending money addressing the blackout issues they are wasting money on a bullet train that no one cares about.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Too lazy to argue with the negative nancies about electrification and wasting tax money atm. I'd still buy the shit out of an electric jeep. If I could go a whole day without the chuggy vibrating boring V6 lol.

Gas engine in a Porsche or Maserati? Yea sure. Gas engine in a Jeep? It falls under the "Does it have an engine? YES" checkmark. Not exactly anything to write home about.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Im all for the 4xe, but I would give it a year or so. They couldn’t even get the aux battery setup correct. I’m on my third one...

I’ve seen too many electrical problems with the JL to give me any kind of confidence in the new platform.

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I want to clarify this, if your tax liability is at least 7,500 then you get the full credit. Even if you only OWE say $2,000 (because you already had fed income tax taken out of your paycheck).

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I have to get back to doing work and all I can think about is when we can actually order this thing.
You and me both. I was hoping they'd have an order date and pricing info. All the ads still say it will available in December. Hopefully, that doesn't change.
Sponsored