Sponsored

I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I should have clarified. Any more pics of stock suspension on 35MT's?
Oh I see, I'll have to go through my old photos. I drove it off the lot and straight to the tire store to have toyo MT 35's installed.

Actually in that second pic I posted.. I was still on 35's and the 2.5'' lift. Fully stock exterior.

I'll be adding some ICON bumpers soon and a winch/fender chop, then I'm done..at least I say that lol.

I'm in love with this ICON pro series bumper and the stock bumper plastic pieces keep popping off, getting lost on trips.

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...-up-jt-pro-recessed-front-bumper-w--bar-tabs/

Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. 1662066837063
Sponsored

Last edited:

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
what else have you had to upgrade after moving up to 37‘s from the 35s?
I upgraded a bunch of stuff when I was running 35s. It wasn’t needed to run 35s but suited my needs when wheeling. Personally, chromoly shafts is all you need for 37s

TucsonDweller

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi 2.0 eTorque
On amazon listings:
"Hooke Road Wrangler Drop Side Steps Nerf Bar Running Boards for Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 Unlimited 4 Doors Sports Sahara Rubicon"
"OEDRO All-Steel Build Running Boards Compatible with 2018-2022 Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door, Bolt-on Side Steps with Leaf Shaped Design, Black Powder Coated Nerf Bar"
The Oedro ones showed two last week but the actual oedro site has both cheaper
I didn't check the Hooke site

She wanted the Oedro ones so we ordered Saturday night and they got here today for $319 no tax - but a $9 cc charge on a foreign transaction so...
Not sliders though so if your on the rocks and hear that creaking - back off slowly and take the other path and get real sliders if thats what your planning 🍻
Thanks!

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have a diesel and would go with the 35s or stay with the 33s.

If you go with the 37s, you will need some sort of a lift.

I have done a lot of off-roading and completed a few BOH trails, all on the factory 33s. I am still on the 33s and will stay on them until it is time to replace them. At that point, I will do the Clayton 3.5" lift, change out the drive shafts (because of the 3.5" lift), purchase new double deadlock wheels, and go with 37s. You should not have to re-gear from everything I have read concerning 37" tires on a JLURD.

You WILL lose your MPG by getting larger tires, but because you are a diesel you will still be doing better than most Jeeps on the road. Especially the 392!

I just finished an eight-day road trip (I took my kid off to college.) and spent most days and nights overlanding at altitudes over 7000 feet; the 33s were fantastic. I had no clearance issues on easy to moderate trails. I know the estimated MPG on the dash isn't precise, but it gives an idea of what you are getting. I got 28.3 MPG over 3445.2 miles (80% highway miles)

My suggestion, especially since you are staying on the pavement, is to save your money until you are ready to put those larger tires to use. Then, I would use the money earmarked for upgrades to take a vacation alone with your wife!

Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. 2507817E-FDDE-49CF-A0A5-75FD2523F83C
Did you recalibrate your speedometer ? Those are some crazy numbers.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Did you recalibrate your speedometer ? Those are some crazy numbers.
Nope.... I am still on factory wheels and tires. I just drive conservatively. I am not a speed demon. Great mpg is one of the benefits of owning a diesel.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Alright, I'll get right to the point. 2023 JLUR Diesel, on order. This will be the wife's daily driver, short commute(10 minutes), usual pick up/drop off kids routine-no big deal.

I want 37's but my gut says 35's. Other than the 2" difference in tires, how much more is involved mechanically speaking in running 37's VS 35's? I've heard of some regearing, I'd prefer not to do that. What kind of supportive mods are recommended when jumping up to 37's? Wear and tear on driveline, etc..

The Jeep will never see rock crawling or hardcore offroad. I do like the idea of overlanding, but that won't happen anytime soon. I talked to Clayton yesterday about their 2.5+ overland kit. I'm guessing a 2.5" and 35's would look silly. I'm not one to cut corner but for some reason, I fell it's just not as simple as slapping on a complete suspension lift, wheels and 37's. Someone please give me some insight and guidance.
I have a Mopar 2.5 inch lift & 37's. The dealer regeared to 4.56, so I don't know how necessary it was. I will say 4.56 is overkill for a daily driver & not going offroad. The amount of driving your wife does, I'd say stock gearing would be acceptable. I have the 3.6 V6.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. 2507817E-FDDE-49CF-A0A5-75FD2523F83C

Here is my diesel on 37s. Couple of things you need to be aware of... 37s are heavy and once you go there you will need to beef up the steering components as well as the eventually deal with the ball joints. Also you will need to some how mount a spare if you want and reinforce the tail gate. This is not including the suspension and steps to get in the jeep. For a daily which does not wheel I would do 35s. On a positive note you do not need to regear for 37s on a diesel if you don't want :)

Cheers and enjoy the jeep.
What front bumper is that?

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
My diesel on 37s the day after it came home. I probably drove 500-1000 miles with this set-up before lifting, including mildish off-road. I did swap the stock 33s back on & off to ~2500 miles when I lifted & sold them. 37s are do-able stock, but for OP's case I think the "responsible" answer is 35s. :giggle:
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. IMG_20200927_113903

OP
OP

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD
As much as I 37s have the cool factor and fit really well with a 2.5 or 3.5 inch fit, I feel the smaller 35 tire is a better daily driver especially if your wife drives it and won’t be a rock crawler. My Clayton 2.5 lift and 35s lifted the Jeep 5 inches and hear about it when the wife gets into the Jeep. Lol.
With that said, I do plan on buying 37s and beadlocks for my off-road trips and use the 35s for the daily driving.
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. IMG_20200927_113903
What's the lift and tire size in this pic?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
if it's the wifes DD and it's going to be schlepping kids and gear and such, any lift or tire increase is going to make it more impractical in regular use. personally, i wouldn't compromise its handling (safety) and practicality or waste any money on it by doing anything more than maybe putting the largest tires i could on it stock. (then again, i wouldn't have gotten a Diesel for a 10 minute commute, but that's a different ship that's already sailed...)

if it's about looks and you don't mind throwing money at it and are willing to accept the negatives already mentioned, all bets are off.

if it's about what the wife wants and you don't mind throwing money at it and are willing to accept the negatives already mentioned, all bets are off.

much of this has already been discussed here and elsewhere, but doing either 35s or 37s properly would require a lift (and all the goodies you may need to correct after that lift like LCAs, adjustable track bars, etc.), different wheels, possible provisions for carrying the spare tire, fenders and/or liners, gearing (some want to argue this, but there's no way around it if you want to try to keep everything spinning at the designed RPMs/load), upgraded axle shafts, speedometer correction, and possibly driveshaft considerations and more.

then, is there any chance the wifelet is going to need to be able to change a flat? will she be able to deal with a 110lb+ spare tire?
is your insurance going to cover any/all that added cost if/when someone T-bones it on the road? what about the time/energy you spent researching and wrenching for set-up?
are the roads near where you're going smooth enough that you won't mind dragging a heavier tire/wheel through the potholes? (heavier tires affect ride, no matter the lift.)

multiply all of this by what i call the GAS Factor (Give A Sh*t Factor) to address how much any/all of this matters to you and you'll probably be close to your solution.

(personally, i like the subtle look of a minimally lifted flexy JLU on big 35s and think it looks visually balanced there and that 37s are where it begins to look silly, but would consider 37s solely for the off-road benefit.)

Alright, I'll get right to the point. 2023 JLUR Diesel, on order. This will be the wife's daily driver, short commute(10 minutes), usual pick up/drop off kids routine-no big deal.

I want 37's but my gut says 35's. Other than the 2" difference in tires, how much more is involved mechanically speaking in running 37's VS 35's? I've heard of some regearing, I'd prefer not to do that. What kind of supportive mods are recommended when jumping up to 37's? Wear and tear on driveline, etc..

The Jeep will never see rock crawling or hardcore offroad. I do like the idea of overlanding, but that won't happen anytime soon. I talked to Clayton yesterday about their 2.5+ overland kit. I'm guessing a 2.5" and 35's would look silly. I'm not one to cut corner but for some reason, I fell it's just not as simple as slapping on a complete suspension lift, wheels and 37's. Someone please give me some insight and guidance.
Sponsored