Sponsored

I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be the voice of reason here. Go with the 35s or stock.

I'm an overlander and I'm on stock Rubi 33s because of range. When you're overlanding, you're wheeling heavy. You avoid rock crawling and take the easiest route you can (which isn't always easy). I've said "I need more range" many times while I've never said "I need bigger tires". I've always found a way around what I may need bigger tires for, you can't get around range. Gas is heavy, you can only carry so much. So range is about using it efficiently.

The only purpose of 37s are for image and rock crawling. Since you've ruled out rock crawling, you're left with all show at the expense of go. You'll get into more expensive lifts requiring more components to be replaced, and regearing to somewhat relieve MPG & range. For what?

If you really want 37s just to have 37s that's fine, just understand it will be detrimental to your use case and it will only serve a function when someone else is looking at it. You won't actually use the functionality of 37s yourself, you'll be hindered by it.
I agree with this completely. When I went to 35's, conventional thinking by those around me was that I was 'settling,' and moving to 37's was inevitable. I don't see it like that at all. There are so many good reasons to go with 35's... look great and are incredibly practical - not only if you decide you ever want to try your hand at off-roading, but as it arrives from factory with all the stock components there's no need to change anything else, expect maybe a lift if you want to - but on your Rubi you wouldn't even need to do that. It's like Jeep built the Unlimited for 35's - but ships them with 33's (or smaller) to keep within acceptable gas mileage and emissions numbers. Go with 35's and don't torture yourself second guessing.
Sponsored

OP
OP

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD
Old Grandpa here.

Jeeps that are lifted have a more likelihood of flipping becuse of the higher center of gravity.
(Since you mentioned kids)
If its your wife's why need the ego boost since it's not going offroad?
Peace.

Nothing wrong with old and wise! Appreciate your input.

OP
OP

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD
I agree with this completely. When I went to 35's, conventional thinking by those around me was that I was 'settling,' and moving to 37's was inevitable. I don't see it like that at all. There are so many good reasons to go with 35's... look great and are incredibly practical - not only if you decide you ever want to try your hand at off-roading, but as it arrives from factory with all the stock components there's no need to change anything else, expect maybe a lift if you want to - but on your Rubi you wouldn't even need to do that. It's like Jeep built the Unlimited for 35's - but ships them with 33's (or smaller) to keep within acceptable gas mileage and emissions numbers. Go with 35's and don't torture yourself second guessing.

Great words. I was always told "listen to your gut, it's usually right".

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I have a daily driver 392 XR that comes with 35" (actual size is less than 34" on 32 psi) and the 4.56 gear ratio. I'm perfectly happy with this so far. Even though I've been doing all kinds of research on moving up to 37" or bigger with no rubbing. But on the other hand, I don't want to modify the factory suspension and a set of 37" will sacrifice a bit the 0-60 fun. Wheels spacers or taller bump stop landing pads can get me the 37" with minimal or no rubbing and it's budget friendly too. I do really like the low profile with 37" without additional lift.

My plan is to take it easy and take it slow. I'll drive with the 35" for couple of years and reconsider the 37" when I feel the need to upgrade. There are some other smaller mods can be done first.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thank you for the realistic approach, answer. One other thing, I don't really want to hear complain about getting in and out of it, either. Maybe she will on 35's but very likely on 37's with a 2.5" lift.
Oh, dude... no. Don't do 37s then. You'll totally get complaints.
I have a 1.5" lift on 33s (which is nothing) and I've heard it a couple times. 35s will probably be tolerable, 37s would be incessant.

Booker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Thank you for the realistic approach, answer. One other thing, I don't really want to hear complain about getting in and out of it, either. Maybe she will on 35's but very likely on 37's with a 2.5" lift.
You said this is going to be your wife's jeep, correct? Did she say she want bigger tires and a lift? If not, you are just setting yourself up for an unhappy wife.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Alright, I'll get right to the point. 2023 JLUR Diesel, on order. This will be the wife's daily driver, short commute(10 minutes), usual pick up/drop off kids routine-no big deal.

I want 37's but my gut says 35's. Other than the 2" difference in tires, how much more is involved mechanically speaking in running 37's VS 35's? I've heard of some regearing, I'd prefer not to do that. What kind of supportive mods are recommended when jumping up to 37's? Wear and tear on driveline, etc..

The Jeep will never see rock crawling or hardcore offroad. I do like the idea of overlanding, but that won't happen anytime soon. I talked to Clayton yesterday about their 2.5+ overland kit. I'm guessing a 2.5" and 35's would look silly. I'm not one to cut corner but for some reason, I fell it's just not as simple as slapping on a complete suspension lift, wheels and 37's. Someone please give me some insight and guidance.
What does the wife say? It's her daily, right?

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
With a JLUR, you can get away with 35’s stock, or even with 3/4 spacers on all four corners. If it really is a daily, beach cruising, or over landing, no need to lift. Slap some 315/70r17 C rated KO2’s (really 34-34.5) on there and call it a day. Even though 2.5 lift sounds small, it really isn’t, especially once you add larger tires as well.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i have a 2.5" lift on 37s. we are a short family lol. my 5 year old needs help getting in but can get out on her own. my 75 year old MIL is able to climb in. i have nice wide side steps that help (westin snyper).

im currently on 37s full time but will be putting the 35s on for DD so i can save the 37s for offroading. no need eating up the tread on the streets.

but if youre only going to be street driving, then you just need one. id go 37s and get some good side steps, electric drop down if you have the $.

both look great, but 37s just look a hair better lol.

my advise, get the lightest wheels and tires you can. my offroading wheels are 22lbs and the tires are light as well (patagonias). im about to pick up a set of Rock Trix for DD duty which are 25lbs. heavy wheels and tires, no matter what size, hurt performance and mpg and you can feel it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

She's good with it. She only said "not too tall" :)
my wife is about 5'4". she grunts getting into the jeep, but she loves driving it and looking at it on the 37s lol. she has no complaints. women also tend to like to sit higher when driving, so thats a plus.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
In your situation, I would no doubt get 35” without lift.

I did 35”x12.5x17 without lift for a while. Gives it a more aggressive look without a ton of penalties. I did a good amount of off-roading without rubbing. (I did not do any big flex rock crawling though)

I have since installed a MC 2.5” and I think it looks fine. But my next set of tires will be 37”.

IMO 35”, skip the lift, and buy some wheels.