Sponsored

I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver.

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD
Alright, I'll get right to the point. 2023 JLUR Diesel, on order. This will be the wife's daily driver, short commute(10 minutes), usual pick up/drop off kids routine-no big deal.

I want 37's but my gut says 35's. Other than the 2" difference in tires, how much more is involved mechanically speaking in running 37's VS 35's? I've heard of some regearing, I'd prefer not to do that. What kind of supportive mods are recommended when jumping up to 37's? Wear and tear on driveline, etc..

The Jeep will never see rock crawling or hardcore offroad. I do like the idea of overlanding, but that won't happen anytime soon. I talked to Clayton yesterday about their 2.5+ overland kit. I'm guessing a 2.5" and 35's would look silly. I'm not one to cut corner but for some reason, I fell it's just not as simple as slapping on a complete suspension lift, wheels and 37's. Someone please give me some insight and guidance.
Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Same here. Have 35s and want 37s but it is my daily. 37s will make it look very nice.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Some 37's measure out to only be about 35, depending on brand. I've learned many lessons owning Jeeps, but the one most important one - if you want it, you're going to scratch that itch until you get it. Go for the 37's. YOLO.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
For any future warranty concerns you may just want to get the Mopar lift and let the dealer install when your rig comes in at which point may as well have him slap on the 37's, with that lift the 37;s won't be any issue at all with proper wheels
Make sure to get running boards (nerfs?) that have a fixed drop down (clue - mopar doesn't sell any) and she ought be very very happy with the choice, skip the electric ones as they seem to have more failures vs zero. a couple examples below both under $400 if shopped right, closer to $300 on a great deal much more if you shop foolishly
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. J168566
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. 1398395_A08FC483

Good luck and enjoy the new Jeep ;)

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I have a diesel and would go with the 35s or stay with the 33s.

If you go with the 37s, you will need some sort of a lift.

I have done a lot of off-roading and completed a few BOH trails, all on the factory 33s. I am still on the 33s and will stay on them until it is time to replace them. At that point, I will do the Clayton 3.5" lift, change out the drive shafts (because of the 3.5" lift), purchase new double deadlock wheels, and go with 37s. You should not have to re-gear from everything I have read concerning 37" tires on a JLURD.

You WILL lose your MPG by getting larger tires, but because you are a diesel you will still be doing better than most Jeeps on the road. Especially the 392!

I just finished an eight-day road trip (I took my kid off to college.) and spent most days and nights overlanding at altitudes over 7000 feet; the 33s were fantastic. I had no clearance issues on easy to moderate trails. I know the estimated MPG on the dash isn't precise, but it gives an idea of what you are getting. I got 28.3 MPG over 3445.2 miles (80% highway miles)

My suggestion, especially since you are staying on the pavement, is to save your money until you are ready to put those larger tires to use. Then, I would use the money earmarked for upgrades to take a vacation alone with your wife!

Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. IMG_7185

Last edited:

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Buy once, cry once.
You're already thinking 37s, just do it. Save yourself the second guessing that will inevitably happen.

As far as lifts, a 2.5” should work fine if the Jeep is actually going to stay on pavement.
Clayton makes great stuff. You don’t need to worry about driveline issues until you get into the 3/3.5”lift range. That’s when driveshafts need to be replaced with something aftermarket.

OP
OP

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD

I have done a lot of off-roading and completed a few BOH trails, all on the factory 33s. I am still on the 33s and will stay on them until it is time to replace them. At that point, I will do the Clayton 3.5" lift, change out the drive shafts (because of the 3.5" lift), purchase new double deadlock wheels, and go with 37s. You should not have to re-gear from everything I have read concerning 37" tires on a JLURD.

You WILL lose your MPG by getting larger tires, but because you are a diesel you will still be doing better than most Jeeps on the road. Especially the 392!

I just finished an eight-day road trip (I took my kid off to college.) and spent most nights Overlanding at altitudes over 7000 feet; the 33s were fantastic. I had no clearance issues on easy to moderate trails. I know the estimated MPG on the dash isn't precise, but it gives an idea of what you are getting. I got 28.3 MPG over 3445.2 miles (80% highway miles)

My suggestion, especially since you are staying on the pavement, is to save your money until you are ready to put those larger tires to use. Then, I would use the money earmarked for upgrades to take a vacation alone with your wife!

Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. IMG_7185
Thanks for the detailed info. The only thing holding me back is the thought of regearing and increased wear and tear later down the road with 37's instead of 35's.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'll be the voice of reason here. Go with the 35s or stock.

I'm an overlander and I'm on stock Rubi 33s because of range. When you're overlanding, you're wheeling heavy. You avoid rock crawling and take the easiest route you can (which isn't always easy). I've said "I need more range" many times while I've never said "I need bigger tires". I've always found a way around what I may need bigger tires for, you can't get around range. Gas is heavy, you can only carry so much. So range is about using it efficiently.

The only purpose of 37s are for image and rock crawling. Since you've ruled out rock crawling, you're left with all show at the expense of go. You'll get into more expensive lifts requiring more components to be replaced, and regearing to somewhat relieve MPG & range. For what?

If you really want 37s just to have 37s that's fine, just understand it will be detrimental to your use case and it will only serve a function when someone else is looking at it. You won't actually use the functionality of 37s yourself, you'll be hindered by it.

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe

I just finished an eight-day road trip (I took my kid off to college.) and spent most nights Overlanding at altitudes over 7000 feet; the 33s were fantastic. I had no clearance issues on easy to moderate trails. I know the estimated MPG on the dash isn't precise, but it gives an idea of what you are getting. I got 28.3 MPG over 3445.2 miles (80% highway miles)

I agree with your opinion of staying with 33s or 35s at most. I researched it and that is the safest as far as protecting the drive train. 35s would look plenty big enough! I personally will not go over 33s. Then your speedo does not need to be corrected (from what I have read)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Get small 37s and 2.5". KM3s or KO2s in 37" size are basically in between 35s and 37s. I recently got KM3s in 37x12.50x17 and they're very noticeably larger than the 35" Milestar Patagonia MT I ran previously, but not as heavy or tall as a 37" Nitto or Toyo. I did start rubbing a bit on my 2.5" lift at full flex (I'm nowhere near full flex in the photo) but it was quick easy fixes like cutting away a tiny piece of rear fender liner.

If I had a 4-door, I'd go 37s as I think it sets the visual proportions off right and gives you just the right amount of clearance / breakover if you plan on wheeling it.
Jeep Wrangler JL I want 37's but my gut says 35's on wife's daily driver. DBAACE48-9742-491F-BBA0-16DC44B61FFF_1_105_c

Sponsored

OP
OP

abtoalson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD

I'm an overlander and I'm on stock Rubi 33s because of range. When you're overlanding, you're wheeling heavy. You avoid rock crawling and take the easiest route you can (which isn't always easy). I've said "I need more range" many times while I've never said "I need bigger tires". I've always found a way around what I may need bigger tires for, you can't get around range. Gas is heavy, you can only carry so much. So range is about using it efficiently.

The only purpose of 37s are for image and rock crawling. Since you've ruled out rock crawling, you're left with all show at the expense of go. You'll get into more expensive lifts requiring more components to be replaced, and regearing to somewhat relieve MPG & range. For what?

If you really want 37s just to have 37s that's fine, just understand it will be detrimental to your use case and it will only serve a function when someone else is looking at it. You won't actually use the functionality of 37s yourself, you'll be hindered by it.

Thank you for the realistic approach, answer. One other thing, I don't really want to hear complain about getting in and out of it, either. Maybe she will on 35's but very likely on 37's with a 2.5" lift.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Old Grandpa here.

Jeeps that are lifted have a more likelihood of flipping becuse of the higher center of gravity.
(Since you mentioned kids)
If its your wife's why need the ego boost since it's not going offroad?
Peace.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

This. Plus my opinion doesn’t mean much compared to your wife’s. She’s the one driving it. And the one you have to live with. Don’t take advice from a bunch of internet strangers over her perspective.

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
I have a 2" lift and am on 37's. It is a chore getting in and out. I have to carry a stool for some even. I am short and just swing myself into the Jeep. I do find it less of a chore when I switch back to the 33's. I would talk with her though as it is a surprising difference. I built my Jeep for rock crawling though with occasional overlanding and I have a 20 minute commute.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
You need a wife/girlfriend with longer legs. But don’t tell her that. My wife has no problem getting in the jlr but then again she’s tall. Many alternatives, but not always the best to do.
Sponsored