Sponsored

I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg!

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I lost my OEM windshield around 9000K (5500 miles), and as is always the case, it was NOT from a vehicle I was following, but from an oncoming oilfield truck / semi throwing up a sh*tstorm of gravel and muck from its frequent trips down muddy lease roads. In all my years, I have never lost a windshield or even gotten hit by a rock thrown from a vehicle I was travelling behind.

I need to replace this second windshield now too. In Alberta it’s considered wise to wait until the windshield you have is about ready to completely fracture into pebble glass before bothering to swap it out.
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I lost my OEM windshield around 9000K (5500 miles), and as is always the case, it was NOT from a vehicle I was following, but from an oncoming oilfield truck / semi throwing up a sh*tstorm of gravel and muck from its frequent trips down muddy lease roads. In all my years, I have never lost a windshield or even gotten hit by a rock thrown from a vehicle I was travelling behind.

I need to replace this second windshield now too. In Alberta it’s considered wise to wait until the windshield you have is about ready to completely fracture into pebble glass before bothering to swap it out.
That’s how it is here in AZ. Wait until it’s so bad you have to change it out. I’m on windshield #5 in 2.5 years. I haven’t gone more than 2 weeks with a new windshield before I get a crack. The highways here are the worst since so many trucks and off road/sxs vehicles come off the trails carrying rocks.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the quality of the stock windshield or if I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have a windshield crack after more than a year and 19,000 miles. Yes, there are a few very minor nicks in it but no major damage or cracks.

Today a crow took a direct hit on the upper drivers side of the windshield at 62 mph and while it sounded nasty, it appeared to have caused no damage to the glass. I almost pulled over to check for damage as I was still over an hour from home but figured I couldn't do anything about it anyway. Once home I checked close and everything seemed fine.

I've heard numerous rocks smack into the windshield, sometimes quite loud, but no appreciable damage was done. I may have just jinxed myself but it seems strange that I read of those with even the Gorilla windshields having a short lifespan but my stock regular windshield is holding up much better than I expected.
I actually did the quick tempering method to mine with dry ice and a blow torch, followed by a coat of crisco. Just kidding :) I found the best method for me is moving over a bit when passing vehicles and staying backed off a bit. If there are two lanes and I am in one of them behind ether a Prius or a dually pickup, I know which lane I will take

I did have something come over the interstate concrete dividers and hit my window hard last week. Seemed like a dirt clod possibly and it hit hard. I thought for sure I wold have a crack but luckily no

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the quality of the stock windshield or if I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have a windshield crack after more than a year and 19,000 miles. Yes, there are a few very minor nicks in it but no major damage or cracks.

Today a crow took a direct hit on the upper drivers side of the windshield at 62 mph and while it sounded nasty, it appeared to have caused no damage to the glass. I almost pulled over to check for damage as I was still over an hour from home but figured I couldn't do anything about it anyway. Once home I checked close and everything seemed fine.

I've heard numerous rocks smack into the windshield, sometimes quite loud, but no appreciable damage was done. I may have just jinxed myself but it seems strange that I read of those with even the Gorilla windshields having a short lifespan but my stock regular windshield is holding up much better than I expected.
You’re lucky, and glad you’re safe, a vulture would have done far more damage.
I took a quarter sized rock from a manure hauler on the highway on the way back from picking up my used 2018 JL (in 2019) and that crack spread over a few days and was done.

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Cracked and broken windshields are not inevitable. My '20 JL has over 138,000 miles on it with a few pebble marks on it but no cracks. The 392 has about 20,000 miles still looking like new. My '04 TJ was not so lucky, it had 2 windshield replacements in 30,000 miles. TJ was more prone to break as it is closer to vertical I 'spose. TJ also saw more aggressive driving over winter passes and a couple of trips to Northern BC.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

thekevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just had mine replaced last week at 29k miles. All things considered I think it did pretty good.

Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! 20230415_220007572_iOS
Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! 20230415_220230309_iOS

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
How is this protection film holding up? About to pull the trigger and buy one.
Its still looking great. One of the other guys in my club has it, and for his it was really clear and free from scratches for about 30k miles (about 30 months for him), and then it started getting scratches quickly over about a month, so he replaced it with a new film. So I'm assuming mine will follow a similar pattern. But I've had mine less than a year, so its basically perfect still. Most people around here break a windshield more than once per year, so it worthwhile where I live.

Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I just had mine replaced last week at 29k miles. All things considered I think it did pretty good.

Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! 20230415_220230309_iOS
Lol, thats some serious hail! I wonder why the one is smooth and the others are bumpy? I guess I don't know how hail is formed exactly to make that happen.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Its still looking great. One of the other guys in my club has it, and for his it was really clear and free from scratches for about 30k miles (about 30 months for him), and then it started getting scratches quickly over about a month, so he replaced it with a new film. So I'm assuming mine will follow a similar pattern. But I've had mine less than a year, so its basically perfect still. Most people around here break a windshield more than once per year, so it worthwhile where I live.
Thanks for the info! Same out here with windshields. I’m on #7 and about to do #8 but have been holding off until I get a protection film ready to put on for the new one.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Question with a Jeep isn't if you will ever have to replace a windshield it is when and how many times. Had my Gorilla Glass replaced under warranty in February and I just got a crack on the replacement this past weekend. Replacing it with standard glass this time

thekevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for the info! Same out here with windshields. I’m on #7 and about to do #8 but have been holding off until I get a protection film ready to put on for the new one.
I don’t know either. That was literally 30 seconds after it quit hailing. They had to replace my hood, windshield, both cowl pieces and repaint one of my passenger doors because of it.
Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! IMG_1007
Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! IMG_2144
Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! IMG_1006

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know either. That was literally 30 seconds after it quit hailing. They had to replace my hood, windshield, both cowl pieces and repaint one of my passenger doors because of it.
Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! IMG_1006
Omg wow! That’s some decent damage!
Sponsored