Sponsored

I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg!

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the quality of the stock windshield or if I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have a windshield crack after more than a year and 19,000 miles. Yes, there are a few very minor nicks in it but no major damage or cracks.

Today a crow took a direct hit on the upper drivers side of the windshield at 62 mph and while it sounded nasty, it appeared to have caused no damage to the glass. I almost pulled over to check for damage as I was still over an hour from home but figured I couldn't do anything about it anyway. Once home I checked close and everything seemed fine.

I've heard numerous rocks smack into the windshield, sometimes quite loud, but no appreciable damage was done. I may have just jinxed myself but it seems strange that I read of those with even the Gorilla windshields having a short lifespan but my stock regular windshield is holding up much better than I expected.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You are tempting fate. The Windshield Gods are going to drive a gang of gravel trucks in front of you, the next time you get on the highway.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
80% luck, 20% circumstances (no gravel trucks, well cleaned roads, etc.)

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Mine appears to be tougher than an egg shell too. I've had a couple of Rocks hit and bounce off leaving chips but no cracks.

Just last week I was driving in a 45 mph zone and hit a hanging kudzu vine directly on the windshield. I'm too busy driving to look it over very well but didn't see any cracks. I was pleased to not find any cracks.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I just had the windshield replaced this past Tuesday. Had a rock take a chip out of it and was ok for a few weeks. I think the -10f finished it off. It was not in my field of view but was told it would not pass state inspection. It only took 40 minutes to replace. We have lousy roads here, a lot of loose stuff from poorly maintained roads.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the quality of the stock windshield or is I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have a windshield crack after more than a year and 19,000 miles. Yes, there are a few very minor nicks in it but no major damage or cracks.
Careful - we got to just over 20k miles without so much as a nick and now at 22100 miles, we've gotten two replacements. So two windshields in about 2k miles, after going 20k with no problems at all.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the quality of the stock windshield or is I'm just one of the lucky ones to not have a windshield crack after more than a year and 19,000 miles. Yes, there are a few very minor nicks in it but no major damage or cracks.

Today a crow took a direct hit on the upper drivers side of the windshield at 62 mph and while it sounded nasty, it appeared to have caused no damage to the glass. I almost pulled over to check for damage as I was still over an hour from home but figured I couldn't do anything about it anyway. Once home I checked close and everything seemed fine.

I've heard numerous rocks smack into the windshield, sometimes quite loud, but no appreciable damage was done. I may have just jinxed myself but it seems strange that I read of those with even the Gorilla windshields having a short lifespan but my stock regular windshield is holding up much better than I expected.
Same. I nailed a bird in the upper passenger side. Blood and feathers everywhere but no cracks.
Mines nearing 3 years and over 37,000 miles.

I figured it's because I added 0 deductible glass breakage, so it wont break.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
I made it about 6 weeks before my first crack, so you’ve definitely got me beat👍 Buddy of mine broke his second and is holding off on another replacement. My HGP has taken some serious shots and still kicking though!

Jeep Wrangler JL I thought the stock Wrangler windshield was supposed to be about as fragile as an egg! ACE99DB9-26C3-4B32-8F2C-714634D4A1E6

Jwb211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Mine has under 3k on it and probably has a dozen small pecks already. An oilfield truck got around me last week and something flew up and hit. Loud as it was I knew the windshield was toast. I didn’t see anything and thought I was clear until today when I found two big places on the top of my passenger freedom panel. Our roads are littered with car parts, trash and other random debris. With that and all the vehicles related to gas production dropping crap I will be lucky to keep it in one piece long enough to get an inspection sticker. Heck I blew out a tire on my truck last month from a piece of interstate sign that fell off an overpass. It’s still laying there as of today.

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
A month or 2 ago my mom pulled out of the glass shop from getting her replacement put in and before she even got up to the speed limit a rock came flying off a truck going the other direction and took the brand new one out. I can only imagine the words that were coming out of her mouth.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A month or 2 ago my mom pulled out of the glass shop from getting her replacement put in and before she even got up to the speed limit a rock came flying off a truck going the other direction and took the brand new one out. I can only imagine the words that were coming out of her mouth.
Wow. I thought the fact that my current windshield lasted a week after being replaced was bad…

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
So far my JL and my parents have 23,000 miles between them, both 2021’s on original windshields. I typically stay away from other cars on the highway and don’t drive close to people (more so larger vehicles). So I feel that plays a big factor. So far I been lucky, but some big bugs and birds really had me looking for chips.