I think my tires are too small...

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I ordered 35x13.50s and theyre measuring 33 3/4 unmounted. And only a foot wide.
Id compare this to my current 35x12.50 duratracs currently on there but my jeep is in another city on a lift waiting for a new rear end and im not gonna see it for another week or 3.
Im scared these will be smaller than whats on already since i have a 2in mopar lift. Can someone ease my mind?

how big are your 35s? And would i notice an inch difference in height if thats what it comes up to? I get theyre never a true 35, but these look kinda small to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL I think my tires are too small... EEA7F3E9-D993-4597-849E-DF6DEC8A136A

Jeep Wrangler JL I think my tires are too small... 4413CA25-8BFD-4B77-8C3C-447F6FEE1340
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You have to measure the tire mounted on the proper wheel size, with proper pressure.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
From all of what I have read and seen - everything measures below stated size. I just had 315/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3's installed today. Measured them out at just about 33.75 or so. Measured my Rubicon take off's (33's) and they measure at 32" unmounted. So prob reduce another 1/2" mounted. There is a noticeable size difference for sure however.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I ordered 35x13.50s and theyre measuring 33 3/4 unmounted. And only a foot wide.
Id compare this to my current 35x12.50 duratracs currently on there but my jeep is in another city on a lift waiting for a new rear end and im not gonna see it for another week or 3.
Im scared these will be smaller than whats on already since i have a 2in mopar lift. Can someone ease my mind?

how big are your 35s? And would i notice an inch difference in height if thats what it comes up to? I get theyre never a true 35, but these look kinda small to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL I think my tires are too small... 4413CA25-8BFD-4B77-8C3C-447F6FEE1340

But those are Trepadors right? What they might lack in height they more than make up for in badassness!

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
But those are Trepadors right? What they might lack in height they more than make up for in badassness!
Mickey Thompson Baja XS Pros. Cant wait to hear them! lol

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
No tire actually measures true to its size.
The fact that tires don’t actually measure up has been a subject of many threads over many years on many forums.
This subject comes up all the time.
I don’t know of anyone ever posting that their tires measured up to the actual listed size after install. All I have ever heard of is that they are mostly an inch or more smaller and very few come closer than that.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
No tire actually measures true to its size.
The fact that tires don’t actually measure up has been a subject of many threads over many years on many forums.
This subject comes up all the time.
I don’t know of anyone ever posting that their tires measured up to the actual listed size after install. All I have ever heard of is that they are mostly an inch or more smaller and very few come closer than that.
And i understand that. But for a 35 this seems a bit smaller than normal. Especially when the weight of the vehicle is on these tires then theyll shrink even more.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
And i understand that. But for a 35 this seems a bit smaller than normal. Especially when the weight of the vehicle is on these tires then theyll shrink even more.
It’s not smaller than normal. That’s about the average. Some are less and some are a little more. BFGs are known to be way below the advertised size. I think the 37” KO2 measures out to about 35” when mounted. My 37” MT Baja Boss measure out to a hair over 36” mounted. But you won’t know it’s actual measured size until it’s mounted on the vehicle at the correct psi.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I can't understand the measuring system myself. To call something a certain size just to be off by more than an inch is crazy. Few years back I bought a Jap brand set of tires for one of my vehicles and as I found that brand good for my needs I opted to look for the same tires again.. maybe a year later ... I found the same exact tires .. but oddly they just looked a tiny bit different. Same exact numbers , same exact tread, .. until i checked where they were made ..it was Malaysia if I recall correctly ...no longer Japan. So I put them side by side and the difference became obvious .. the treads were narrower or better said, the entire tire was so. All else was exactly the same. I don't get this because they were the same exact number matching tires .. but this is how they roll in the tire business.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Keep in mind the tread block width on the M/T spec is 12.6", so probably at running PSI it would be close, and also closer in height.
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-pro-x

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Measure it horizontally. I bet it is oval in shape due to the weight of the tire, sitting un mounted with no pressure.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Keep in mind the tread block width on the M/T spec is 12.6", so probably at running PSI it would be close, and also closer in height.
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-pro-x
Oh crap I forgot they posted specs on there! The one you were looking at is the off road only version.

This is mine https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-pro-xs and Im seeing tread width as 11.5 but section width is 14.0 the hell is section width?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh crap I forgot they posted specs on there! The one you were looking at is the off road only version.

This is mine https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-pro-xs and Im seeing tread width as 11.5 but section width is 14.0 the hell is section width?
Section width is the widest part of the tire when inflated, typically about halfway down the sidewall. It all seems kinda deceptive, but that's how they do it in the tire industry :(

Based on the Baja Pro XS specs w/ that 11.5" tread width you seem to be right about there, and I bet they balloon out to that 14" width at the widest point. Gonna be badass no doubt!
Sponsored